1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How important is the service record?

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by PatchyBoy, Jul 19, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys,

My Jet has done 13500 kms. I had booked for 2nd free service with Vecto on 13th, which was cancelled due to free check up camp. So, I rebooked for tomorrow. In preparation for the same, I was just looking at the service booklet to see what needs to be done. When I was reading through the list, a weird thought came to my mind. I had to post the question here, so knowledgeable members can answer.

What if I don't get it serviced with FASS? In the list provided, I can pretty much do everything myself. What will be the repercussions?

Some of the negatives that come to mind are:

1. I will lose warranty and extended warranty
    2. My car will not have a service record, meaning resale might pose a problem
    3. Sourcing the parts that require replacement, mainly filters might be a challenge
    4. I will not be able to post in the Service Centre Review thread, cribbing about them :D (This should be in the positive list!!!)

Positives:

1. I know the job will be thorough :D
    2. I will save some money - (or will I?)
    3. I can use fluids of my choice - obviously better than what is specified, of course
    4. Peace of mind

Justification from my POV:

1. With the mods that I am already doing and with some of the mods I have in mind, my warranty is almost as good as void
    2. I have no intentions of selling the car in the foreseeable future
    3. With vendors like 99rpm, I am sure the parts can be sourced

Is there some angle that I am missing. Does this have any impact on insurance? Please pour in your thoughts

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Because we do not have any such legal protection such as the US' Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a dealer can simply kill our warranty if we install any aftermarket part - even if that part has no bearing on the part which failed. Say - I install aftermarket wheels and my power steering fails. Under the MMWA, the onus lies on the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure , i.e. in the above example - to show that the aftermarket wheels caused the power steering to fail.

Here, dealers are looking for any excuse to deny warranty - any manufacturer.

It's all upto you Rajan. If you are comfortable with tackling the failure of any part outside the net of warranty, then you can go ahead and shun it altogether. And enjoy the freedom of not having to change things when they don't need to be changed at all. But sometimes things can get expensive fast and all the extra that you had to spend under warranty can be recouped by the free replacement of any major part. Weigh both aspects and take a decision.

The Mods which you are planning are mostly electrical/electronic in nature and I don't think they can impact any warranty on your mechanicals. This isn't the 90's anymore.

Cheers.

P.S. I have myself quit Extended Warranty as it made no financial sense in my particular case.
    1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Now you have me all confused :D

You are saying -"a dealer can simply kill our warranty if we install any aftermarket part - even if that part has no bearing on the part which failed" and you are also saying "The Mods which you are planning are mostly electrical/electronic in nature and I don't think they can impact any warranty on your mechanicals"

Which one should I consider? Let me ask you this. If it were you, what would you do?

Rajan
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes i put that paradox in deliberately.

Because that is the state which we find ourselves in. When one dealer happily changes X part , the other refuses to do so. So it depends on the kind of dealer as well. I found myself in a similar situation when I took in my relative's Punto for steering rack noise and the dealer refused - the SA was in favour but the person above him flatly refused. I heard of a similar case in Delhi where the dealer simply swapped in a new rack no questions asked and all was well.

What would I do - I would get the 2nd service done at FASS before installing any mods and take a call on the warranty situation next July. Ensure you have a good rapport with the SA and the SA is capable enough of getting approvals for warranty and not just shrug shoulders saying his senior refused.

Cheers.
  5. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    The service stamp is good enough to keep your warranty intact. Hence in my view you should get it serviced at FASS/TASS

Get the car serviced at a FASS/TASS where you have good relations. In some cases it is possible that they would honour your request for putting in fluids of your choice.

As far as warranty is concerned, if you have good relations the service centre may honour your warranty even if you have put in aftermarket stuff. On the other hand, if you visit new service centres where you do not have a good relationship they may not honour the warranty
  6. I have stopped going to TASS/FASS after 30 k service, I am going to trusted mechanic who does what i want.
    I feel my car is better this way than keeping the service center folks happy, i do go to KHT when I spare part replacement.

Now since 99rpm is there,even that is going to change.Keeping the service experience better is the task for Dealer and FIAT, I am not going to waste my paid leaves to go behind them to see what wrong they will do to my car.It is not for me to worry whether a FASS will get enough business or not.

I am tired of chasing them for spares, time and distance to go there from my place is too much for me.I had litrally wait for 4.5 monhts to get spoiler, where I can get in few days from 99 RPM now.

Reason for not going to TASS/FASS is they did not allow me to use Delvac 1, Selnia did not meet my expectation there was other option for me.I never liked callous/casual way those people work in FASS/TASS.

It is after all my money,I feel i am doing great in justice to my loved car by giving it to people whom she doesn't like:)
    1 person likes this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ Thanks Sat. Considering that this is just the second "free" service, what do you recommend?

Rajan
  8. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    Rajan sir I would consider you to stick to FASS for this time. Since CC not yet installed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

To hell with it :)
    I change oil twice in 15K kms and FASS does not let me use my own oil,so as long as i am able to pamper my car more than FASS,i dont care,though i only have a few months of extended warranty left.
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I think the insurance policy doc mentions somewhere that the car needs to be serviced at authorized service center. It may be mentioned in the dos and don't given along with the policy doc. Scheduled service needs to be done at FASS. I understand that Shams' warranty claim was rejected because the service was not done on time though he did complete the service at FASS. So, to avoid such situations, it makes sense to go to FASS.
    1 person likes this.