1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How I learned driving: Thread to share your initial driving experiences

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by sungoa2010, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    I learnt 2 & 4 wheeler on my own, 4 wheeler learning was just from the observation when I used to go with my grandfather for drives.

Two wheeler:

Back in school days I first learnt riding on my uncle TVS 50, used to takeaway far away from home before starting just to go unnoticed.

4 wheels:

Learnt driving in my grandfather's FIAT PADMINI 1100 (this was the one reason I love FIAT), again use to have a separate key, when ever he was not around drive away with my small cousins.

Even today I have that key but no padmini instead my own FIAT PUNTO.
    2 people like this.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    @Enki: Skoda VRS guy will be moving with a Passat TSI now. The story was like watching the movie 'Terminator2':D I like the zen without power steering. The first generation Zen was a workhorse. It was a thrill to accelerate it. My father in law was using a Zen MH(first generation)before moving to a Getz 1.3. It was a peppy car and the throttle response was instantaneous. Much much better than the current swifts.

@Srida : You have the talent to tell stories. It was touching the heart especially your parents response to your first experiment with the car. I learned bicycle while I was in 3rd standard. We were in Singapore that time and next to our house was a lawn that was a part of a common lawn having flat and slope combination. So I remember a bunch of Chinese kids, with helmets, pass like a storm. I never had the courage to do that, but use to take the bicycle on the road, taking it to the starting of the slop and use to enjoy the almost free fall. After coming back to Kerala I used to try learning bigger cycle. Since I cannot sit on the seat I used to stand on one of the pedal. With the momentum gained by my weight, cycle will move a reasonably good distance, then repeat the same. After that I tried by keeping one leg one side and other one on the other side pedal through the gap between the top rod and the chain cover.

@Tony & Fiat yamaha:You were lucky that you could learn on a Fiat. Fiat padmini was a dream car for me in my childhood. In fact recently when I went to Mumbai I deliberately looking for a fiat padmini Taxi.
  3. Really lucky. I still feel very bad that I didn't learn driving car from a fiat. My grandfather had one (one of very very few cars running in coimbatore that time) but that was sold when i was a Kid. And I still regret for missing a chance to drive a palio 1.6/1.9D when i was doing my college. Though the owner gave me his keys, i simply rejected since i had a policy not to drive others vehicle :( if I had known about fiat that time, I would not have missed the chance.
  4. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    I don't know how to drive, but tried driving our Palio once.

It was June 2011, and I was 'enjoying' my Class X summer vacations. I asked my dad whether I can drive the Palio. He agreed, and we went to an Army ground where people usually practice driving. On reaching the ground, we found that the entrance has been blocked. Undeterred, we somehow managed to get inside. Then came the chance to drive! I was grinning like an ape! I put the car in neutral, started the engine, pressed the clutch and engaged first gear. Got the clutch-accelerator combo all wrong. The car stalled. Tried again. Again got it wrong. Tried again, but this time somehow managed to get the car moving. Then came the part of controlling the steering. It was very difficult, as the Palio's hydraulic steering is very heavy at parking speeds (yes, I didn't cross 20kmph). Somehow managed to shift to second and completed one 'lap'. Completed two more laps, when an Army jawaan told us to get out. It was the end of my first drive. Have not got to drive a car ever since.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ferrariscdr

Ferrariscdr Amatore

Karnataka
    My father had premier padmini and I started driving on it some 20 years back...Then my dad sold that car and bought maruti 800 which I was very comfortable in drive but for short distances near my house. I wasnt expert in taking car to traffic and was driving and couldnt stop the car and somehow it just touched a man. But nothing happened it was only few local people gathered and was very scared...Luckily nothing happened and I came home but from then I was scared to drive..
    I started driving again in an i10. I bought new car and every I used to take this car early morning on roads to get used to clutch and gear shifting...slowly i learnt driving. I used this car for 1.5 years and now this car is being used by my dad :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
    1 person likes this.