1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How do you dispose of CFL lamps & Fluorescent lamps?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Klub Class, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Disclaimer :1) I dont know if this is the right place to discuss this, but just wanted to share my experience with you all and get my queries answered.
    2) I had started a thread on the same topic in another forum. But, that thread didn't get much attention.

Are you one among the hundreds scratching and banging your head to find out a proper/scientific way to dispose CFL lamps and Fluorescent lamps? If yes, we're in same boat. :mrgreen:

IIRC, fluorescent lamps contain mercury and even small amount of mercury can be harmful to our health and environment.So, if a fluorescent lamp breaks, the mercury and other toxic chemical inside can leach out and poison our water resources. It can even enter our body through the air we breathe.

Currently, we have a collection of nearly 40 + fluorescent tube lights and 20+ CFL lamps. Being ignorant of the proper and scientific ways of disposing, we keep them in a safe place in our store room. Moreover, I had asked few of my friends and relatives the same question and they didn't have an answer for my question. And, the truth is that no one really knows how to dispose them properly here(ie, in India). :cry:

To be frank, I've seen people throwing fluorescent lamps to the neighbor's compound, disposing it on the road sides and all. To say the least, I find it very absurd. :A

Your inputs and suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
    Amith
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I follow the 'absurd' method. Know it is not the right way to do, but until we have systematic waste disposal systems... :roll:
    The same is the case with dry cells (batteries). How do you dispose them? :confused1
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    I give them to my friends father who work in UHBVN ( Some Haryana Electricity Board) which disposes them safely (I Hope so)
  4. Even I do throw away the dry cells but not fluorescent lamps :confused1

Lucky you! :wink:
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Reviving the thread.

Any thoughts guys? How can we dispose them better?