1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How do you clean your car?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Pran, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is how I clean mine

Summers
    1. Sunday - full wash
    2. Monday - dry wipe the glass area alone
    3. Tuesday - dust and wet wipe the glass area, bonnet, boot, top and upper shoulder
    4. Wednesday - 1 bucket water full-wash :boxer . Dip the cloth and without squeezing out any water wipe on
    5. Thursday - dry wipe the glass area alone
    6. Friday - dust and wet wipe the glass area, bonnet, boot, top and upper shoulder
    7. Sat - I am going to wash it tomorrow man, why waste time !!

Winters
    1. Sunday - full wash
    2. Monday - wet wipe the glass area alone
    3. Tuesday - dust and wet wipe the glass area, bonnet, boot and upper shoulder
    4. Wednesday - 2 bucket water (laaavish) full-wash :boxer . Dip the cloth and without squeezing out any water wipeon
    5. Thursday - wet wipe the glass area alone
    6. Friday - dust and wet wipe the glass area, bonnet, boot, top and upper shoulder
    7. Sat - again, I am going to wash it tomorrow man, why waste time !!

I don't have a tap outside my flat so I cant wash in Wednesdays. Sundays I go to my parents place and wash it for 1.5-2 hrs including interior cleaning (no vacuum though)

Disclaimer : Water is precious, so is my Car ::T
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Whoa! I just wash it when I'm unable to see the color of the car. :mrgreen:
    Kidding. I do not get time to wash it and I'm against car cleaner who do take proper precautions for car wash. That's why I prefer white color cars.
    I wash it every 10-14 days with 5-6 buckets of water.
    1 person likes this.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    My Fiat Linea doesn't go out every day, but during weekends only. I give my Fiat Linea a grand bath [water-wash] once in a month, and also after every long trip. But, whenever I take my Linea out, I dust it off using Jopasu or California car duster. Once in three months, my Linea gets wax-polishing too.
  4. Glad to see this thread. Some queries after seeing the posts above.
    I take out the car only on weekends and very occasionally during the week. Initially I asked the car-wash guy in our apartment to wash it twice a week, On Tuesdays and Sundays. I observed that the car was gathering dust on other days and the guy was irregular. He sometimes used to wash it on Fri-sat or sat-sun.
    Now I have asked him to wash the car everyday. But I am not happy with his method. He uses a normal cloth and I am observing swirl marks on my car.

Is it okay to let the car gather dust and wash it occasionally? I see that J Ravi and Paddleshifter do this. Or do you guys cover your car?
    Where in Blore can I get Jopasu or California car duster ? I did not find it in Reliance Autozone in HSR layout and few other shops. Planning to check Autozone near Silk board the next time I go that route.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check this thread - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=753.
    You need to order online for Jopasu duster.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    No. I do not use body cover for my Fiat Linea as she has garage.[attachment=0:12i46o8e]IMG_1194.JPG[/attachment:12i46o8e]

IMG_1194.JPG
  7. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Oh! I wanted to say "car cleaner who do not take proper precautions for car wash.

The reason why I don't like their method.
    We have an open garage and the car is exposed to dust, sunlight etc.

We had got one car cover stitched with a very soft cloth for our M800 and I cover my GP with it as of now (Of course, it can cover only up to 2/3rd of the GP. Original car cover is lying in the store room).
    I wash her with bare hands initially, exerting minimum pressure while pouring adequate water from above. I find that this method is safe. Then I use cloth.
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ancientmariner : AFAIK a dust covered car under sun long-term reduces the glow of the paint faster. The swirl marks will appear for reds and blacks you should do some paint treatment for that and there are experts here. I have not done anything on the paints so far, not even Teflon during delivery.
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Sometimes back I used to use car cover to prevent Logo-theft :mrgreen: The entire day my car remains parked under the sun, under the elements. So, when I used to come back home after 2 hours B2B traffic drive & dead tired, I did not have patience & energy to clean the car before putting the car cover on. On the other hand, putting the cover on a dusty car is a risk & prone to scratches/ swirls. So, I bought Jopasu car duster to dust off before putting on the cover.

Since April, I fixed the logo-theft issue with a Jugaad (separate topic). So now - no need of car cover & there goes the need for Jopasu also.

Now, a cleaner guy washes the car every Sunday & wet clean the car daily. Occassionally I give him Microfiber cloth & Chamois on every 2nd/ 3rd Sunday with Formula 1 Wash & Wax Shampoo. In addition I had got 3M Paint Protection treatment done in April'10 (2nd free application is due now). Since then I have not wax'ed the car (I used to wax it every month earlier).
  10. sharma_sanjeevin

sharma_sanjeevin Regolare

Mumbai
    Needed a Suggestion on Cleaning the Art Leather Seat Covers.

Can i use Petrol to clean them or is there any other solution available to clean the seat covers? kindly suggest.