1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How do we TFIans score in following traffic rules?

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Ravi_M, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    I am into handling safety related issues at our Centre and particular about following traffic rules and rules of common sense and logic. It would be good for members of our forum to introspect on this issue.

I always follow traffic signals / rules, but have invited scorn for that in my city Indore. People in Indore generally stop at RED signal, but going wrong-side is common on divided roads. Here, most people don't use side-view mirrors (on 2-wheelers and 4-wheelers). I asked many friends and they told that this is to protect the mirrors. In fact the mirrors save the vehicle (I have experienced this on a highway). I have also set them, as advised in one TFI thread, to avoid blind-spots and have explained it to many friends. They appreciated it. I have also learnt about the effectiveness of seat-belt on this forum, though I always use it.

Even in Mumbai, which I respect for better traffic sense, I have seen people jumping signals. Last Sunday, while returning from Mumbai early morning (by Linea MJD), on JVLR, I stopped at each RED signal, though the traffic was sparse at 0630 hrs, but saw BEST busses ignoring it. It reminded me the Ad of Amirs' Satyamev Jayate.

I generally discuss these issues among colleagues and friends, 'cause as individuals, we can do this at the least.

I have not read any comments on this topic on this forum, hence though giving a try. Lets spread safety culture as much as possible.

Ravi
    6 people like this.
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    This attitude of people in India cannot be changed overnight.

There has to be a way to sow this seed strongly in children's minds. Best places being schools and colleges. Not as a boring subject but more practically. Now that schools has advanced to digital class rooms etc. Some interesting videos have to be shown demonstrating disadvantages of not following rules.

As of now, generation after generation learn wrong things from their parents and it has become a huge loop.

For instance, It is a pity that people in india are not aware of the fact that they are not supposed to use high beams in the city and are supposed to switch to low beam when there is oncoming traffic on highways.

Not that I know everything and follow all rules but I at least try to do some of the basic stuff correctly and anyone riding in my car gets educated even if they hate it.
    I haven't been able to convince my own dad to not use the high beams everyday though. He says he can't see anything with low beams, I ask him to switch between high and low whenever required. But I guess he just doesn't get it.

Frankly speaking 70% of the people driving automobiles in India are not even fit to be driving on the streets at all.

I wish they cancel everyone's licenses and issue new ones only to people who are able to pass a stringent test.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    PradeepM, limraj and N Kiran like this.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    A driver did not stop the car at a signal showing red lamp early in the morning, killing a Union cabinet minister, who did not wear his seat belt. Disregarding traffic rules risking not only their lives but also other road-users' is a common feature found from Kanniyakumari to Kashmir. The spirit of unity in diversity is followed in letter and spirit indeed.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    4 people like this.
  4. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    To introspect by members -

1. Do you receive phone call while driving and converse or you take the car aside after telling the caller to hold?
    2. Do you TEXT while driving? I read an article in Reader's Digest mentioning peoples texting while driving!!
    3. Do you get PUC for the car as specified? In MP, till recently, no one talked about PUC, after a recent order, everyone is getting PUC. Govt has also proposed now to withdraw driving license for those who are caught driving without PUC for their vehicle.
    4. Do you allow, actually encourage and teach riding 2 wheeler (most common) to your underage kids / siblings? A newspaper in Indore says that RTO is planning to cancel licenses of parents if their kids are found driving without proper license.
    5. Do you ride 2-wheelers with the kid on the front on busy roads? I have seen people doing so on highways, close to the city, mostly at outskirts.
    6. Do you drive car with kid(s) on front-seat? I have seen kids on the co-driver's seat and also in the lap of the driver!!
    7. Do you take care of car / 2-wheeler keys, such that kids don't take it and try driving / riding / entering the vehicle? I news says, in Bhopal, a 2.5 year old died of suffocation when left behind in locked car / went into car after picking the key left accessible.
    8. Dog / pigs menace in your locality? This has caused accidents of 2-wheelers. I witnessed one at Bhopal two days ago, when a boy going for coaching class on Sunday morning(apparently!) skidded as a dog ran into the scooter.

These are very serious questions for all of us and the society. Even if you have escaped doing this a 100-times, the 1001 time may prove bad for you or person in front of you. I read that India tops in road accidents in the world, IIRC.

Lets spread the awareness.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    On this point be prepared to be argued that "Kuch nahi hota". Once discussing this issue, I was shocked to hear counter arguments that made zilch sense no matter what. There is no negotiating this issue is what they don't get. Take a chill-pill is what they imply. And others watching this label you as the troublemaker for talking sense. :(

Makes you wonder if it's best to loose an argument than loose a friend. I'd rather loose one this way, than seeing one suffer for such blunders.
    Dang..! :(

- - - Merged Post - - -

Similar incident happened sometime back in Maharashtra, in this case three kids. :(
    3 kids suffocate to death inside car at Bhiwandi - Hindustan Times
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  6. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

vadodara-gujarat
    A very relevant thread. I have seen here people in Vadodara breaking any rules that come their way. Just the other day I saw an Audi Q5 jumping the traffic signal. We expect people with such cars to be educated and atleast follow the rules. I have seen bikers going underarm of the traffic policemen at the signals and the poor police fellow can do much apart from babbling few galis.

Regarding mobile phones and texting, we Fiatians are privileged to have Blue and Me. Atleast we can receive calls while driving. But then the question remains how safe it is? Though i have seen people in high end cars talking on their mobiles while cruising at 120+ speeds on expressaways. At that point i feel using Blue and Me is Much safer.