1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How bad roads hurting India

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Aug 1, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Thank you. As a matter of fact, once you get the hang of it and start enjoying it, it is amazing how far one can go on the bicycle :D

I think we are digressing too much from the topic, though. Sorry Sat.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

I too used to commute to my.previous office every Friday in cycle. total distance was ~50
  3. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

You have got Respect from me for commuting to office on bicycle for 3 days in a week:up..Sat,i feel very bad and hurt by seeing poor bad roads of our country..These politics people should be banged by all indian citizens and one day for sure our generation youths will vanish these politics guys and corruption from India..shame on we youths who are riding bikes and driving cars instead of riding bicycle..from now onwards i will also ride bicycle 2-3 times in a week:)..
  4. I have a knee issue which keeps me away from real bicycle, yes I ride a recumbent bike every day for 3-5 kms at home:)
  5. limraj

limraj Superiore

Linea 1.3
    My office is at 27km from my home.
    I don't take public bus as well, as I drop wife at a bus stop on her way and pick her up while return.
    I wish our offices were closer and could use public transport !

Now every one wants to go to office in their own vehicles. We don't walk or take public transport, everyone has got excuses. Just like the one I said above.
    2 people like this.
  6. +1. I never take my Punto to office. I have a daily commute of 20km. I take my humble honda scooter. I dont take my Punto not because i cant afford it, but i feel that taking a car which can commute 4 to 5 people for a single person is a collossal wastage of resource. :) I take it only for family drives.
    And one additional thing i do, is to SWITCH OFF the engine during halts in signals(both for my scooter and car). Saves a lot of fuel. I was not aware of how much. Recently noticed the difference it makes in the AcB readings. Pooling of car also is a good option, provided you have like minded people travelling to the same location as yours.
  7. MJD turbo needs idling for minute before you kill the engine.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

You have a tweaked the most sensitive nerve and rightly so. With the boost given to the auto industry who are churning out vehicles at a faster rate only matched by out population increase, the right infrastructure to address the fuel and the roads was not in the planning at all. India is heavily dependant on oil from other countires when it is a known fact that Indian reserves are good enough to meet our demand. But the opportunity to explore the natural resources such as Oil & gas remains locked in the red tape by the bueracracy and these shackles are hard to break. On one hand we say that we dont have technology to invest and produce Oil & gas and on other hand we say we dont want foriegn MNC to explore the oil & gas for us and take back huge profits. The same is said on the roads and highway development. Good exapmple is the present condition of Mumbai roads in Monsoon. Are we saying that we dont have the technology to repair the roads and maintain it for the next 5 yrs without damaging them. But we dont want to. Sorry not we, but the babus and netas and few others controlling the +1 billion population wouldnt let go the golden goose. I have seen bad roads happening during heavy rains in UK but authorities over there attend to the issue immediately

As for your comment of not leaving the country at the right time, this is sheer frustration. Even my engg college friends are outside India but this though never came to my mind at all. I can proudly say that being in India I am trying to improve things which I can. For the past 5-6 yrs I have been in regular touch with the Municpal authorities for sanitation, roads, street lightings, areas of improvement etc and I feel happy about it. Genuine people do respond. Atleast I am trying.

Mods - Sorry if this post is going in wrong direction. Pls feel free to delete it if so.
    3 people like this.
  9. New twist to the whole story,
    India had about 125 Million metric tonne of proven oil reserves as April 2010 or 5.62 billion barrels as per EIA estimate for 2009,[SUP][14][/SUP] which is the second-largest amount in the Asia-Pacific region behind China.[SUP][15][/SUP] Most of India's crude oil reserves are located in the western coast (Mumbai High) and in the northeastern parts of the country, although considerable undeveloped reserves are also located in the offshore Bay of Bengal and in the state of Rajasthan. The combination of rising oil consumption and fairly unwavering production levels leaves India highly dependent on imports to meet the consumption needs. In 2010, India produced an average of about 33.69 million metric tonne of crude oil as on April 2010[SUP][16][/SUP] or 877 thousand barrels per day as per EIA estimate of 2009.[SUP][14][/SUP] During 2006, India consumed an estimated 2.63 Mbbl/d (418,000 m[SUP]3[/SUP]/d) of oil.[SUP][17][/SUP] The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that India registered oil demand growth of 100,000 bbl/d (16,000 m[SUP]3[/SUP]/d) during 2006.[SUP][17][/SUP] India’s oil sector is dominated by state-owned enterprises, although the government has taken steps in past recent years to deregulate the hydrocarbons industry and support greater foreign involvement. India’s state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation is the largest oil company. ONGC is the leading player in India’s upstream sector, accounting for roughly 75% of the country’s oil output during 2006, as per Indian government estimates.[SUP][15][/SUP] As a net importer of all oil, the Government of India has introduced policies aimed at growing domestic oil production and oil exploration activities. As part of the effort, the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas crafted the New Exploration License Policy (NELP) in 2000, which permits foreign companies to hold 100% equity possession in oil and natural gas projects.[SUP][15][/SUP] However, to date, only a handful of oil fields are controlled by foreign firms. India’s downstream sector is also dominated by state-owned entities, though private companies have enlarged their market share in past recent years.

Why India can't explore Oil for it needs with little bit more conviction is a question.
  10. Why is Biodiesel not taking off? India has plenty of barren land to grow Jatropha. We can be self reliant atleast on Diesel, which should reflect on commodity prices. BTW, i havent seen any threads on Biodiesel in TFI.