1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

How bad roads hurting India

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Our finance minister is worried about Indian's buy gold but what about $25 billion oil import?
    Have devalued rupee and 99% dependence on imported oil, i am not sure how india can not going to be bankrupt?
    China has invested about $45 billion in building superb roads, they have a 1.5 trillion dollars in reserves.

Where as other than Golden Quadrilateral road(Thanks to one prime minster who had a vision), no other massive scale infrastructure projects taken up. Just imagine , how tough it was 13 years back to go to Leh or Ladhakh?

Most of out cars mileage is abysmal not because of the car but because of typical urban speed. If you are going to burn fuel at 40% of the efficiency as in any civilized country. Just having better roads will reduce Indian oil imports by at least 40%.

Many indian have earned name and fame but why we still lack a leader who has a future vision ,say vision 2050.
    Our country needs to build infrastructure what we need in years 2050 now!!

Many of my class mates and friends have migrated to US,Singapore,Canada and Australia.I some times feel like i made mistake by not even thinking in that direction.

I want you to open up and pour your thoughts on this.
    8 people like this.
  2. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    The figure may not be as high as that, given the fact that a substantial quantity of the oil produced is used for non-automotive use. Even then, the actual figure (in Rs. or thousands of croes of rupees) will be quite huge.

I agree with your other points. A few years back I used to sneer at my friends & relatives who were going & settling in western countries. However, two trips to Europe have cvhanged my perception by 180 degrees.
    2 people like this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    This thread only reminds me of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. Quoting here, for a quick read
    The leaders are one amongst us. We create them. We also create the future leaders. Our children. What do we teach them? We sit them on the petrol tank of our bikes and occasionally even allow them to hold the handle bar, while we are busy chatting on our latest smart phones. We expect the same child to grow up and become a responsible road user. We stuff our children into an overcrowded auto rickshaw and wave them goodbye to go to school. We expect the same child to grow up and respect the law.

We shamelessly bribe the traffic constable, in the presence of our children. We expect the same child to grow up and be honest. We call up work and report sick, so we can watch that grand finale of a cricket match and then expect our children to grow up and be truthful.

Everything can change, but change has to come from within. Are we willing to be the change we want to see?

Rajan
    15 people like this.
  4. Rajan,I agree to your points,my point is on infrastructure and dependence on oil.Both these factors not helping economy.I feel our people like me are also responsible.What is the way out of this mess.
    1 person likes this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Very true. That is exactly what I was trying to communicate. Can we collectively as like minded people, take the public transport once a week? Or maybe cycle to work? That would on an average be 4 out of 25 working days - about 6.25% less fuel consumption? Can we collectively as like minded people, support the traffic police and not only follow lane discipline, but also teach other road users lane discipline one day in a month? Can we collectively as like minded people, resolve to never again, ever, break the speed limit? Can we collectively as like minded people, resolve to not litter?

I know all of this sounds too idealogical. But step back a minute and think about it. If Mother Theresa wrinkled her nose when she first saw a leper, would we have heard about her? Even the greatest of all journeys start with one small step. We, thanks to the internet, have the capacity to reach out to a very large audience. Can we do it? Yes we can. Do we want to do it, is the question, that begs to be answered.

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    7 people like this.
  6. Great Idea, i am for it. May be we can work with traffic cops on some weekends in educating people.
    If we can do this undr the cahrter of TFI it would be great.
    Btw,i aviod driving atleast one day a week and drive my Vespa once week to work.
    1 person likes this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    That is great to know Sat. I wish there were more people like you.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  8. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Hmmm...there is at least one more. I take bus to the office on an average 1-2 days in a week, depending upon the rains. My office is only around 3 km from home, so planning to take a walk in the winter.
    2 people like this.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Fantastic. I wish my office were that close. My previous office was 17 kms one way and I used to cycle to work 3 days a week, as the route was mostly city outskirts. Though the present office is only a tad more - 20 kms one way - I have to commute almost all the way in B2B traffic and you know how much respect cyclists get in city traffic :A :A

I am thinking of using the cycle again once the rains stop, nevertheless :)

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  10. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    17km on bicycle - everyday? Don't know about the respect in traffic, but you certainly got mine - loads of it.:clap