1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Horrible 2nd Servicing effect , Punto pulls Dangerously Right , needs help

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by mescotc, Nov 24, 2011.

1. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    HiGuys,

Had my 2ndservicing for 1.3 Punto at Balaji Cars , Bhiwandi, the experience was Pathetic, apart from lot many issues with the service station which I will post later ,here is one major issue which I faced.

Before 2ndservicing my car was perfect in handling .

During 2nd service:

1) My Punto waslifted on jack , Tyres removed , Balancing done , they rotate the tires in Xpattern , I argued for Fiat its not X pattern , but front & rearinterchange , they say they aren't aware of , OK I leave it to them ,I said results should be satisfactory.

2) Wheel alignmentdone , car taken for trials ,

3) Car was liftedon jack again , front wheels interchanged , and that mechanic adjusted the Linkrod on both front wheels by Half a turn ( in equal & opposite directions) ,( I suppose he might had done this to adjust the steering alignment )

4) after this I hadleft for some work , & when I came back in the evening , my car was inwashing bay , the waiting was too long hence I opted not to wash the car fromthem ( during last free camp I had horrible experience with their washing ) ,& drove my car out , assuming everything was ok and no one was availablefor final trials ,

5) When I came onroads I found my car was dangerously pulling Right , I can't even leave thesteering for a second , (except for Right turn LoL!) , I drive my car withright hand only , I had to travel a long distance 110kms, so I couldn'ttake the car back to TASS , believe me I had such a pain in my right shoulder,

now I had alreadyfired the Service Advisor Mr. Jamil , shot a email to Works Manager Mr. ReynoldLewis , as he was not attending the call , SA asked me to bring thecar to Service stn. for re alignment.

Now my problem is ,As Ive already paid 1000bucks towards balancing & alignment , should I takethe car back to them ? or get it done from other TASS by paying again ? Whatcare should I take this time , to ensure perfect handling as before ?

My Second Q is aTechnical one : After Wheel alignment , how come the mechanic adjusts the LinkRod ? that means that Alignment gets Disturbed ? isn't it , then why do thiswheel alignment , when finally this adjustments had to be done manually.

Needs help on myQ's.

=========================
    Some Hurtingstatements :

Service advisor Mr.Jamil : The belief these guys holds with FIAT customers is " Fiat customerkabhi bhi satisfied nahin hota " , & hence they are least botheredabout us , to which I replied " aap jaise Hathoda Mechanic , honge tokaise customer satisfied hoga ?"

Another comment Iheard from the Alignment guy was " Din mein 90 customers aate hai , saaregali dete hai , lekin agali baar un-mein se 80 customers dubaara aate hai" , I had a feeling of "Beggars have no choice"

Atul

2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    My recommendation would be,

Go to that TASS once again as they know they did to your car. If you take your car to another TASS they will create another problem.

I agree that Beggers have no choice.
  3. naveen

naveen Novizio

Hyderabad
    Hi Atul,

Its due to tyre rotation. Even I experienced the same during my second service. When tyres were put in the original sequence problem is gone. SA told me its due to uneven wear of tyre.
  4. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Yes, it is due to tyre rotation i suspect. Since, you have already rotated the tyre in "X" fashion, just swap the right and left and you should be good to go. If you have to drive a lot to the service station, try and do the rotation in the local shop. This should save you some money and time.
  5. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    I think this is also related to Link rod adjustment , because the steering is also slightly tilted towards right. what's say?

Btw thx all for the prompt reply.

Atul
  6. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Atul,

In your case , the initial tyre wear pattern would have been that the outer side of the left tyre would have worn more due to the road shoulder done for water drain and your right would have had less outer wear as it is running on the middle mound of the road. when you fix the the higher worn left to the right the right outer will rest lower than the inner and tend to pull to the right which you experienced. Always interchange the front and the rear on the same side only. ie. Front left with rear left and right front with the rear right. do it every 10000 kms and the tyre will wear evenly.

abdul
  7. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    @abdul ,
    Thx.

what about link rod adjustment , is it advisable to adjust link rod after wheel alignment is done ?

Atul

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

@abdul ,
    Thx.

what about link rod adjustment , is it advisable to adjust link rod after wheel alignment is done ?

Atul
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    mestoc get the alignment done again at a good wheel alignment shop.
    Mechanics usually have the habit of completing alignment report on screen first and then tightening the nuts fully. (Always make sure they tighten the nuts fully before completing alignment report)

In future don't ever agree to do alignment and balancing at a workshop for the following reasons:-
    1. They charge you very high 800 for alignment and balancing + weights. I pay 300 for alignment and balancing outside
    2. Poorly calibrated aligners.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Atul

I dont think Link rods make any alteration of the alignment or steering. Our Puntos have had their link rods changed in 1/2 hour when the link rod had the problem intitially.

abdul
  10. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    Hi Guys ,

Problem solved.

Took my car y'day to Balaji again , on request of the Service Manager Reynold , who had a good approach , he called the alignment guy , discussed the problem , asked to re-align the wheels , follow tyre rotation as per Fiat norms. X pattern & my car was back to normal within 1 hr. ,
    Now I enjoy the Perfect & Legendary FIAT Handling Again!!!

Thx. everybody for the valued inputs.

Mods U can change the Title of thread to Perfect Handling or can Close the thread if reqd.

Atul