1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Honda Unveils 1.6-Liter Diesel Engine

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by kedarbendre, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    yes right

The primary exhaust rocker arm contacts a low-profile camshaft lobe during low-RPM engine operation. Once VTEC engagement occurs, the oil pressure flowing from the exhaust rocker shaft into the primary exhaust rocker arm forces the VTEC switching piston into the secondary exhaust rocker arm, thus locking both exhaust rocker arms together. The high-profile camshaft lobe which normally contacts the secondary exhaust rocker arm alone during low-RPM engine operation is able to move both exhaust rocker arms together which are locked as a unit.

The secondary intake rocker arm contacts a low-profile camshaft lobe during low-RPM engine operation. Once VTEC engagement occurs, the oil pressure flowing from the intake rocker shaft into the primary intake rocker arm forces the VTEC switching piston into the secondary intake rocker arm, thus locking both intake rocker arms together. The high-profile camshaft lobe which normally contacts the primary intake rocker alone during low-RPM engine operation is able to move both intake rocker arms together which are locked as a unit.

this technology on OHC vtech used to kick in at high rpms for performance purpose.

on the new honda city i.e current model this kicks in at 2000 rpms for increasing the mileage and then cuts off at high rpms.

so when we try searching for the vtec to kick in at around 4000 rpm it doesnt kick at all :)
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    City will also get an internal conflict. Dtec will take some of their Vtec customers the way DDIS eclipsed the maruti petrol engines.
  3. sorry guys am new to this thread.saw comparison with cruze in first page.actually cruze engine belongs to a italian engine manufacturer V M Motori .which is owned 50% by GM and 50% percent by Fiat.pls refer wikipedia for more info
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    FIAT for sure has a 50% stake in VM Motori. The stake was acquired in 2011 itself.

As for the Cruze engine, 326 Nm at a very, very high 2600rpm's is simply flawed execution. It can be observed while driving it too. The power delivery simply comes like a lightning bolt out of nowhere . Nothing linear about the power delivery, even though it has a VGT. And, it is a 2000cc engine. BIG in today's world. ( Just see what BMW is doing with their turbo-diesel 2000cc N47 engine)

VM Motori need to look at FIAT's 1.6 Multijet. 320 Nm at 1750rpm's from just 1600cc's.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. ys thats true.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I have a question. Will torque at a higher rpm give a better pull especially one is in highspeed? Of course it is not as useful like early max torque in all practical situation.
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I am not sure how to interpret this, but higher torque developed only at higher rpm would mean that there is lower torque at lower rpm right? Having a higher torque at lower rpm would help in negotiating city traffic with minimal gear change and lack of it would make the car a handful to drive in the city.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks royj. I haven't driven diesel cars much. Please clarify my doubt. Suppose if I drive in an open highway in high speed say 100+ and the rpm will be around 3000. In that case an engine which develops max torque at lower rpm will it get an edge over the engine that develops max torque at higher rpm around 2.5K. Assume that the max torque,power and weight of te vehicle are equal.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Torque is useful to get you moving.. Once you are moving, then you need Power to accelerate and increase speed. So in my understanding, higher torque when you are moving at higher speeds is useless.
    With an engine developing torque at higher rpm, you would struggle with gear shifts in low speeds, there won't be any appreciable difference at higher speeds compared to an engine developing higher torque at lower rpm.
    This is my understanding of engine behavior.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  10. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    Power = Torque x rpm (or angular velocity)

Torque = Moment of Inertia x Angular Acceleration (rate of change of rpm)

The equations imply that power comes from torque. Torque at any speed will tell you both the power and the acceleration available to you at that point. Peak acceleration coincides with peak torque.
    So torque at any speed is helpful. A flat torque curve vs. rpm is the most preferred option so that you have a predictable and high acceleration available at all speeds.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011