1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Honda Unveils 1.6-Liter Diesel Engine

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by kedarbendre, Dec 1, 2011.

1. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    The above news says that Honda will use 1.6 i-DTEC engine in Civic first and they will use stripped down version (1.5 ltr) in city.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Fine. In that case, I assume that the stripped down version may generate 100+ BHP and again the pricing of City will depend on how the engine will be brought to India. With the Government policy still not clear, I doubt if Honda will risk by setting up a manufacturing facility here. The best option for them would be to import the engine, which will still make Diesel City costlier than the competition.

Recently my friend bought a ANHC VMT for almost 10L on road after huge discounts. If Diesel City is launched, the price would not be less than 11.5-12 for the VMT.
  3. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

Why they want to stripdown the 1.6 to 1.5? i thought like, using a detuned 1.6L for City will be more beneficial for Honda rather than stripping down to make it 1.5L.

R,
    Vishnu
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Why would they reduce the displacement for the city?! That will only mean more costs.

I reckon the news piece isn't real. Just speculation.

At best, they could strap on a VGT on the Civic engine and the cheaper FGT on the City diesel. That way, a lot of components can be shared and costs can be saved.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Exactly. Brio also has the same engine as Jazz instead of a 3 cylinder engine. Any idea what this 'DTEC' means? What kind of technology they use? if D is for Diesel then they should rename Vtec as Ptec.
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Well, the V in VTEC stands for Valve, I believe. It is actually called the Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control.
    And i-DTEC is nothing new. It was shown way back at the 2008.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Vtec is a very advanced technology that honda has. the hydraulic mechanism expands the cam to a profile where valve lift is more. when the vtec kicks in the engine turns into a monster and revvs very high too.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    OT
    The cam stays the same. In basic VTEC systems, on recieving the VTEC signal , the third rocker arm gets locked with the other two resulting in higher than normal lift.

Barring the early Japanese and US VTEC's the difference where the VTEC engages is hardly perceptible today. Like in the City i-vtec. I drove it in the hope of feeling a VTEC kick , but all i felt was a linear buzz till the redline. Boring.:(

9. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    If Honda gets the diesel engine, it will be an end to all tom, dick and harry... Honda has a brand proud that it is honda and it feels great to say that i drive a honda city... imagine a honda city diesel...

I have seen people upgrade from city to accord... Honda rules the heart of most indians... the one driving alto always dreams of driving a honda city one day
  10. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I used to feel that way back in 2006 - 2008 period, not any more. Now I would pick a Linea any day over a Honda City, even if it comes with a diesel heart.
    1 person likes this.