1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Honda Unveils 1.6-Liter Diesel Engine

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by kedarbendre, Dec 1, 2011.

1. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Honda has announced new engines at the ongoing Tokyo Motor Show. The Japanese automaker has called its next generation of engines as ‘Earth Dreams Technology’. Out of all the new engines announced, one engine is of particular interest to us. It is the 1.6-liter i-DTEC turbo diesel engine, which produces 120 PS of power at 4000 RPM and 300 Nm of torque at 2000 RPM :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. This 1596cc motor is the lightest diesel engine in its class, weighing just 170 kgs. It is mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox and will do duty in the Honda Civic at first. The company will later plonk this engine into the Jazz for the European markets. We can expect Honda to offer this engine in the new 2012 Civic, when they launch it in India by the end on 2012. The same engine can be detuned for use in the City as well, this will help Honda fight competition till a smaller sub-1.5-liter diesel engine makes its debut in 2013.
    “We are aware of the petrol price increase in India but we consider that as a sign of growth in the Indian market, definitely we are currently developing diesel engine cars. Indian market is asking for more diesel engine cars and we are fully aware of that,” Yasuhisa Arai, Managing Officer and Chief Officer, Development Operations, Honda R&D said.
    The 1.6-liter engine is essentially a downsized 2.2-liter diesel engine, which has extensive reduction of mechanical friction in each section. This gives the 1.6 unit similar friction levels as a petrol motor. What is so special about this i-DTEC engine is the high fuel efficiency it offers, which is perfectly suited for the Indian car market. Even the CO2 emissions are very low at below 100 g/km. With power being delivered lower down, we can expect this new diesel engine to offer extremely good driveability. Furthermore, if Honda does not detune this motor for the Indian market, the Civic’s diesel version will be one of the most powerful diesel engines in its segment.
  2. Need to see it to believe it, hope Honda hasn't made compromise with the engine build to achieve lighter weight.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Honda's 2.2 diesel is one of the most respected ones around. I'm sure the 1.6 will be no different.

That said, the 1.6 Multijet puts out more torque at lesser revs. 320 Nm at just 1750rpm. Just shows you what a brilliant engine it is. ( To put things into perspective, the Cruze diesel puts out 326Nm from its 2000cc diesel at 2600rpm's! Flawed execution for a diesel.)

The 1.6 M-Jet is what the Linea deserves. God only knows if it'll ever come to India.
  4. Cruze engine 320Nm for a 2ltr engine? comparing it to 1.6?
    You are right i never thought in those lines.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    if honda get the diesel in, then its the end of road for linea, vento verna and every other tom, dick and harry :)

i think we should give a proposition of combined purchases to fiat for 1.6l diesel mills. ask them to import it for us and fit them in our lineas.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Will the City get it? Or the civic?

I reckon it'll be the Civic, if at all this 1.6 diesel comes to India. Because if they give the 1.6 to the City, the Honda boffins, keeping true to their overcharging traditions, will price it around 11-12 lakhs. :)
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @gurjinder, the price you have quoted looks agressive for me. Honda may even price it at 12-13 too :). Remember that Toyota manages to price Altis at 15L for a 1.4L 89 BHP engine.
  8. But how many they sell a month ?
  9. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

Altis sells in good numbers competing with Cruze and Laura considering the outdated engine and low BHP ratings,but not sure about the diesel/petrol split.

R,
    Vishnu
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The point here is that if Honda wants to introduce the Diesel engine here in India, either they have to import the engine or setup a plant in India. I doubt they will setup up a diesel manufacturing facility. If they were to import the engine, the price is definitely going to be on the higher side.

My gut feeling is that they may first introduce this in Civic.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011