1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Honda recalls 57,853 units of 'City' sedan

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Cubbie, Feb 17, 2011.

1. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    One simple analysis

However excellent the product is , unless you market or campaign properly in the competitive world the product fails to succeed.

This applies everywhere. If one is too good and productive at workplace and does not market himself properly then the person with least productivity with good marketing will see the light of the day !

Mod's if you wish, please delete this post. Somehow I feel this is OT :eek:fftopic
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As far as AC upgrade is concerned, I think FIAT/TASC are not actively contacting/informing customers because the upgrade is meant for those who "feel/complain that the performance of AC is poor or not upto their expectations".

AC upgrade is not a cheap exercise and why should they change it for every FIAT car as long as someone is satisfied and not complaining IMO. :confused

I will inform my friend who owns a 2009 ANHC to check for the Honda recall. When he bought the car, he did not say that he bought a City or Honda City. He said "I bought a Honda"
    Even now, he calls it just "Honda".
    e.g. If I ask him to give me his text book of some subject, he will say "It is lying in my Honda. Let me bring it." :lol:
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @paddleshifter : that's untrue. During the factory visit Mr.Rajeev Kapoor himself had stated that ALL 1.4 owners will be contacted about the upgrade. He had specifically called the upgrade as "India Specific" and applicable to all customers.

Besides : technically upgrade and recall are pretty similar since in a recall the manufacturer replaces a defective part with a "better part" - which is no different from an upgrade.

It's just that in the recent past recall has become synonymous with "safety" (thanks to the goof ups by toyota) and therefore recall is interpreted differently.
  4. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    I have absolutely no issues with the ac.
    I was contacted on 2nd December by my dealer for the upgrade. I have still not upgraded due various reasons top most reason being that I never felt anything wrong with the AC.
    I have postponed my ac upgrade to coincide with my 45k service.

This,i think is the difference between recall and an upgrade.

I remember mr. CEO also stating that "this ac upgrade is not a recall. The complains on ac effectiveness was primarily from north India during summer. However, we will offer this upgrade to all linea/punto owners across India."

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In that case, I back off from my comment, if Rajeev Kapoor sir had himself said that "all" petrol cars will be included in the upgrade. I thought that they are offering free upgrade to anyone who complains that AC cooling is inadequate.

Yes, recall and upgrade are similar but differ to quite an extent in my opinion. Please correct me :boxer if I am wrong here.
    Recall= defective part replaced with new (redesigned or anything) part after fixing the problem and thorough testing. Without recall, there would be some problem in the car eventually.
    Upgrade= changing a working part for better results/meet the expectations.

Lets take the example of Hyundai i20.

Hyundai i20 has consistent problems with steering rattles and ineffective AC as per many owners review.

- Fixing the Steering rattle would be a recall. The steering is rattling and this is a problem occuring only because of some particular part.
    - Upgrading the AC should just be considered as an upgrade though. The AC as such does not have any "problem" or "defective part". Its just that the tuning hasn't been done keeping Indian conditions in mind.
  6. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Exactly wht I said in my last post. FIAT needs to pull their socks up in media management. You can not blame others for your own ineffectiveness. the example is bare...Fiat upgrades a mere AC and supposedly gets bashed by media...HONDA replaces a crucial engine part by way of recall and media praises it. How the hell power of media is lost on Fiat top brass?

and yes upgrade does not qualify for a recall, but CSC replacement was a recall for FIAT cars. Pardon my ignorance but I recieved no calls from FIAT or dealer. I myself contacted FIAT helpline after reading it in teamfiat (at that time a google group).

Again I would say I love my car so much that i am unaffected by all that keeps happening around. I have already clocked 37000km in almost 20 months, I would not part with it. My son is now 15 and when I upgrade three years from now, he has already put in his candidature for use of "OUR PUNTO".
    //his legal driving age//.

At the same time hats off to honda the way they managed this episode. LETS urge FIAT to learn some lessons here.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    similar to AC upgrade fiat should call in all puntos and lineas for premature brake pad wear. i see thousands of people complaining that the brake pads need replacement at 15-20k kms which is very premature.
    its a very critical part considering safety. the pads should atleast last 40k odd kms.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4

I had to get my brake pads replaced at 12k kms. The service advisor told me that FIAT brake pads rarely last more than 15000 kms. Brakepads in Ford cars last beyond 35000 kms.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    here is the new poll + thread created for brake pads. keep this thread for honda recall discussion

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1826
  10. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    I also did not face any severe problem with AC in my Petrol Linea. Following is what I've written in the other thread:

After all, I think the AC unit was the same in FIRE as well as MJD & I did not find major issues with AC in my Petrol Linea. Owners of a few MJD cars also complained about less cooling /AC in their MJD cars. Its an option for Petrol Linea/Punto owners to upgrade the AC if they found it insufficient to their likings. MJD owners do not have that option. Hyundai did not give that option to its i20 customers who complained.

Hence, there was no need on Fiat's part to term it as "recall" as its not a recall. Besides, just a mere process of recalling the car sets kind of a panic perception however good your intention are. That's a small but important difference between Recall & Upgrade. A recall is what a manufacturer MUST do without which there could be major complicated issues & an upgrade is what is optional. Fiat's AC's were never faulty.

Sad but true. Take this Honda example only. Just a simple process of putting it on website or something similar turned the perception to be positive. Had I been Honda customer who has bought a City for its legendary Reliability/ Quality/ Brand/ Engine etc, I would have been very upset after spending thro' my nose paying some Rs. 2 Lacs more than competition to reassure myself about the reliability/ Quality etc. What about Quality checks? How did the part pass the quality checks? Are the Quality checks sufficient & alright or the Quality Check parameters were supposed be be tighter ? If that was the case, then will I need to be much worried about other parts (& reliability) also now ? All these important questions have taken a much farther back seat & the positive perception is already built on a mere process of getting back or communicating with the customers (which no doubt is good but not more important than the problem itself & not more important than such questions).