1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Honda recalls 57,853 units of 'City' sedan

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Cubbie, Feb 17, 2011.

1. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Completely agree with AXN. Let's not turn this into a Honda bashing thread. And to be VERY frank :I am actually with Honda on this one. It is actually a bold move.

Why ? See how promptly they upgraded their website wherein you can just enter the VIN number of your car and check if your car is a part of the recall or not. So if I am a Honda City owner and feeling jittery about my car, all I have to do is : go to the website, enter the VIN and check.

Now compare this with what Fiat did for the AC replacement : Do you see ANY mention of the AC replacement on the website ? Forget entering your chassis number and checking if your car AC kit needs replacement or not !! Heck : I know of Linea & Punto owners who don't even know about the AC replacement kit. What do we do ? Frantically call TASC and ask them.

Just for the record : a colleague of mine has a Honda City. I told him about the recall, he checked on the website. His car is part of the recall. A "reference number" was instantly generated online. Next thing I know : he got a call in 2 hours from Honda and an appointment was scheduled for him.

Am I praising Honda ? Yes I am - and for the simple reason that : goofing up is one thing : but owning up to it and admitting in public that I goofed up is completely another !!
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Oh ! you mean springs of HLA
  3. kaps

kaps Superiore

It is agreed that it is a good step taken by Honda that too in India where the public is taken for granted. However, I have a feeling it has been done a bit late in the day and purely to avoid class action suites in US and other countries. The global recall is huge. The recall is happening for cars manufactured in early 2010 also. With the quality control of Japs, ideally, it should not have taken this long for recall to happen, that too for a critical engine component.

Since the recall has been done, better late than never.

IIRC, ACC upgrade by Fiat is not a recall but an upgrade to be carried out along with servicing. Clutch Slave Cylinder was a recall and customers did get calls from service centers.
  4. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    This things should be highlighted on News channel and all auto show, No wonder if they had did this with FIAt it would have been a big issue as if the world has ended up. Does they mention it on TeamBHP. the recall of HONDA cars,
  5. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Nice observation. I never knew Honda had the VIN number setup on their website until i read your post.

FIAT does need to show these type of user friendly things on their website.

A simple example. I bet everyone here would agree that color config needs a change in the website. The Bronzo Scuro shows totally different color in the website. For that matter, same applies to other colors as well.

I am not debating about the quality of the product here, but few minor things which makes end user life simpler and brings a ::D

6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    In my case, I was not aware of the AC upgrade until friend of mine told me about this. In fact, I was one of the first in Bangalore to complain about ineffective AC and not so smooth clutch/gear. When I asked about this to my service advisor, he showed me the database which shows the list of campaigns I am "eligible" to. It contained two entries for AC upgrade and clutch slave cylinder replacement. It also showed my complaint about the hard gear knob, which I had raised almost a year back. None of the previous service advisors had informed me about this. In spite of this, the status of these two items were kept as "in progress", though I was not even aware of this. So, unless you take the initiative to ask the service advisor/service center, you may not even know that such a thing is happening. Think of a person who does not read TFI or TBHP! How will he aknow about these kind of campaigns? This is disappointing.
    There is no doubt that FIAT makes good cars, but they need to be more proactive in directly contacting the customers. Until that happens, it will be difficult for customers to trust FIAT or any other manufacturer for that matter.

At least this time, I am happy that I met the right service advisor who educates the customer and makes us feel that they really care for us.
  7. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Linea 1.4
    @amogh - defending one does not have mean bashing the other. You did the same with your post.

The ac upgrade is not a recall, it is something worth 20k that you are being given free. This you do with an appointment or Tass does this during your routine service visits.

What Honda is recalling is for a serious issue . They better be serious about the procedure.

p.s. - this is like, if Fiat calls all owners to bring their cars to get Stanley leather done to their car as seat upgrade, there will be people blaming Fiat for doing it un professionally and giving cheap seats in the first place :D

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  8. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    @fastlove : I am merely stating the facts. I don't see how it resorts to bashing.

My point is not about recall or replacement. My point is about putting the right mechanism in place. The point I am trying to make is how effectively and quickly you communicate with the customer. And I don't get this point : if it is a recall - customers need to be informed. If it is an upgrade : we will do it at leisure : and wait for the customer to visit the service centre.

For eg : I get my car serviced on day x. My next service is after one year or 15k kms : whichever is earlier. Say i do not complete 15k, which means I go for a service after one year. So am I supposed to wait for ONE full year to get the AC replaced ???

TASC is NOT doing it at routine visits : and Fiat has still not sent any communication to its customers. That is what I am talking about. Today a 1.4 Punto owner asked me "What is this AC upgrade people are talking about ?". This is what angers me.
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Completly agreed with Amogh. Take my example, I have 1.2 Emotion Punto. When I gave my for wheel alignment & Grill Change @ Pandit Automotives that time they informed me (SA Called me & told me about this upgrade) about the AC upgrade till the I was not aware of this upgrade. If my car is eligible for this upgrade FIAT should inform us that your car is eligible for an upgrade so get in touch with nearest dealer or service center, so that we will get this free upgrade on time.

Talking about the Honda, its seems good when those simple steps from official website. It really make life simple.
  10. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

I'm sorry but I simply can not digest applauding manufacturers for recall. There is no greatness to it. It's like slapping someone & then say sorry. Yes, it looks good when you compare other manufactures who neither rectify an issue nor do a recall (may be Hyundai i20 for steering issue/ AC issue - though am not sure). But then they can be called worse & it does not mean that those who recall are great or to be praised. Come on, its their job. To that extent Fiat also recalled for Clutch Slave cylinder & I do not feel that it needs to be praised for that recall. AC upgrade is however a separate thing. Its not a recall. By no means, even in remote possibility, it would endanger passenger safety/ life or anything. No chance.

Having said that, I also agree with Axn & Amogh. Let's not make this a bashing thread. A little peek into the customer psyche would indicate that why people react much to this Honda recall is because customers can't expect it from a Honda. Honda is synonymous for quality & such recalls surely dent that reputation. When a customer pays Rs. 1.5 - 2 lacs more (20% more) than the competition which goes mainly towards Reliability/ Brand reputation & Engine, when they hear about such recalls, obviously there would be reaction. Rs. 1.5 - 2 Lacs is a lot of money after all.

And yes, doing it professionally with processes in place like this website sounds good & alleviates the impact of recall on reputation and others should learn from it.