1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Honda City struggles to overtake 90hp on highway m

Discussion in 'Punto' started by driveit, Jan 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    And yet since TD's are done in city conditions and since even automags etc who should know better cater to an audience that is interested only in friskiness off-the-line fail to mention the CHAMPION in-gear performance not just of the mjd, but also the 1.4 Fire, let alone the t-jet. The mjd is 4 secs or so quicker in-gear from 40 to 80 as well as from 60-100 than either the Ford tdci 1.5 90 hp or the Hyundai 1.4 diesel (figures from AutoBild India, Avventura v/s Ecosport v/s i20 Active.)

Let alone the Honda diesel, which is so low-end-biased. The rapid and vento disels do not count since they're FEKU, cheater engines (as the whole world now knows) with awful CO2 etc emissions. The mjd's CO2 emissions are better than the Ford and the Hyundai and the Toyota diesels, and the Renault and Nissan dci 9 8-valve engines as well, i.e., likely the lowest among all small diesels in india! And yet the ARAI fuel efficiency ratings on them are better? And the mjd's overall cost of ownership and maintenance is unsurpassed too.

The failure to appreciate the excellence and continued SUPERIORITY, all-round, of the mjd (recently called 'dated' by no less than Shapur Kotwal of Autocar) is a great sign of just how engineering etc-ignorant/indifferent/clueless we in India remain!
    linea4me, gpunto75 and manjunathkl like this.
  2. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot I would like to do the same with an Abarth with stickers removed. No one would realize that there is a beast inside and the engine sound is more a purr then a growl - till they disappear in the rear view mirror.

p.s. This is just a wish and I do not encourage anyone to race specifically in our country.

Recently I am hung up on the Dodge Hellcat - I wonder why :woot::p
    linea4me, prabhjot and Murphy_Fiat like this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I always struggle to understand the need for speed. :banghead:

Unless required by law.
  4. driveit

driveit Amatore

chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Speed is not required always. But as a common man sometimes we like to enjoy that speed (I would say for few seconds / minutes - though there is no definition for safe speed!!). Natural desire /ego sometimes make you to compete other cars on the road.

But definitely we need to be safe and some times have that fun knowing it is risky. Also cars not manufactured to go below 80.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Problem with discussions such as these is the wrong message that can be conveyed to certain individuals who cannot surmise the fragility of life. A simple push due to a sudden or momentary surge of adrenaline and the devastating price of life and those who are dependent on us. These discussions have more disbenefits if someone subconsciously decides that risk is everywhere so might as well live in the moment. Now the biggest issue is jeopardising others on road which happens in every situation where there is a struggle involved in overtaking or covering a certain distance due to some notion of delay. Unless one is trying to rush and save the world from some nuclear catastrophy...:confused:
    prabhjot and carl_jhonson like this.
  6. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    OK I think we need to take this thread with a pinch of salt. No one on this forum is suggesting, unsafe driving. It has nothing to do with speed, it is about judgment. Human judgment has no replacement. Understand your car's manners and be well within the limits of your cars and road conditions and traffic.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Not About the Speed but i Always wanted Enough Power on My Foot. The Cars which blown me Away is Jeep Grand Cheroke SRT, Porsche Cayenne (2009) Turbo and Abarth Punto Evo all these Cars are Addictive with precise steering and Good Handling.
    manjunathkl likes this.
  8. Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar Novizio

Coimbatore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Driving a Punto evo 90HP, I'm always in the steady 100 - 120 zone as I don't want to unnecessarily deal with all tin cans at 90kmph and their awkward driving manners at that speed. I don't try to provoke anyone intentionally as my speed is steady but I've noticed many swift guys and some TBHP stickered cars always trying to race with me. May be its more because of my RED colored punto :)

Also I usually overtake almost all the cars on the road in a safe and predicatable way including civic and skodas but lost miserably to a Celerio guy (125 kmph). He was a maniac with a poor kid onboard and overtaking me many a times from the left driving from 2 wheelers zone where there's no road. I may have lost to him but won in other way by saving all our lives including his to an extent. Celerio at 125 is never its comfort zone.
    linea4me, limraj, Murphy_Fiat and 4 others like this.
  9. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Celerio at 125kmph will fly off the road if it hits a hump. It is super light. :nailbiting:
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @asimpleson

One cannot disagree with your assertion that gratuitous, aggressive, sustained speeding is for fools BUT:

(a) i find slow, distracted drivers who are not sync-ing with their fellow road-users' pacier rhythm to be often, maybe even usually, more dangerous to themselves and to others

(b) "it's not the engine power and torque that determines how fast you can go....but the brakes!"

The greatest thing about Fiats and esp the Linea t-jet and now Abarth-s are the brakes! That might mean less rather than more 'danger' to self and other at higher speeds?

But yeah, it may well be that driving fast (IF road conditions are open, good and trustworthy enough) is best done on a zesty/fiesty 2-wheeler than on a car, in India? Surely so in traffic-laden cities? At least in my own case: i drive the other italian, the Vespa vx125, rather faster, and much more often, than one uses the t-jet Linea (when solo).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.