1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Honda City struggles to overtake 90hp on highway m

Discussion in 'Punto' started by driveit, Jan 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driveit

driveit Amatore

chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    it happened last week in chennI - trichy NH 45. I was maintaining 2500 rpm and suddenly observed a Honda City guy was pushing real hard to overtake then I started to press the pedal , to my surprise City was moving away from my sight in my mirror. Then I slowed down due to slow moving lorries then City was just behind my wheel and once I get a way City was cruising at the initial stage to cover the gap very well but again I reached 2500 rpm then my white stallion cruised like anything and I saw that City guy's real frustration in the mirror (he was shaking his heads) it happened for another 10 to 15 mins. Then I gave way to him.

I really doubt if any of the under 15 lakh sedan can overtake punto easily on highways.
    linea4me and antony1405 like this.
  2. shanvimal

shanvimal Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @driveit It is very simple. In my experience, no Korean or Japanese Sedan car drivers will be confident enough after 120 KM/hr. (Exceptions are small cars like Alto, or wagon r because of their designs and ultra light weight). I have seen many a times Hyundai 1.6 lost the race with my new linea MJD when going in a highway. You will find that Volkswagen vento or Rapid will give you run for your money. The sheer power and the stability @ high speeds make them way a head of Fiat MJD.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @driveit

Its good to know that the Punto gives a tough competition to the a lot of cars in the sedan segment. However such driving/stunts can lead to dangerous results or road rage if it goes out of hand. Request you to not indulge is such competitions on the road. Roads are not for racing.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @driveit
    Even 75hp can do wonders :D , but 90hp is a beast.The confidence is all in the hands,i would say all ends up in steering feedback
    ("Stay connected to Roads" ) and the punto weight.its not how fast the car is, its all about the driver skills on our highways.
    On wheels and micky123 like this.
  5. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Reason behind is Simple High Speed Stability Gives the Advantage for Punto
    linea4me and Tornado like this.
  6. Jass7840

Jass7840 Timido

Chandigarh
    Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    XUV 500 Struggles to overtake Punto Active 1.3 (75hp) :joyful:
  7. vigneshrace

vigneshrace Amatore

Chennai
    Everything depends on our driving style!
    I have competed with many BMWs, Mercs and was riding ahead of them but i have losed to figo on a different day!

Drive safe is the first thumb rule we should have it in our mind and starts revving!
    micky123 likes this.
  8. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    What RPM does the MJD provide its peak performance? After the turbo kicks in at around 1800 the power is linear till about 2500 after which there is another peak. Maybe differs from car to car.
  9. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    It may not be true, what always pleases to eyes.
    Having driven City, I cant believe it to be struggling so easily. (May be the driver wasn't in a race to mood, and when you slowed down (due to whatever reason), he just catches up on empty road)

Another perspective:
    Whenever I see a bit aggressive driver, i just hint to him to overtake. His ego, forces him to sprint ahead (provoking racing). I see this as a trick to get open road for myself.
    Interestingly, He thinks he's playing with me & I think otherwise. But in the end; I do get free road and relief from his road tantrums for few kms.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 19, 2016 ---
    Another Incident.

Once a Swift was provoking for a race. I rarely fall in these trap, but to get rid of him; I floored the pedal. Few sec later, we both are cruising parallel at not so safe speeds.
    Once I glanced the speedo (just few sec later), i let him go. Slowed down and let him win. (My life is far more precious than ego).

So Did swift beat MJD?(probably yes, that's the story he'll telling around)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 19, 2016 ---

That's from top drawer of bollywood script.:cigar:
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  10. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    I had a similar experience with the following cars:

Fluidic Verna (Brand new, the ribbons were still on)
    Figo (prev gen)
    Swift
    Rapid TDI
    Duster
    Honda City

In my recent trip, at different times, these cars were trying desperately to overtake. When I floored the gas pedal, they used to disappear from the mirror. Once my Linea crosses 3000rpms, all these sub-15 lac cars will vanish from the mirror. It amazes how 1.6 verna that is lighter cannot overtake a 1.4 (non-tjet) on heavier car. The only guy who could overtake was the Rapid when we slowed down for the speed breaker. Rapid TDI's massive torque made it possible. I could again overtake him after a few KMs.

My rule of thumb is, I don't race for the sake of my ego. I don't drive erratically or against the rules. It is just that 1.4 Fire is being labeled under-powered. It is totally false, if you know how to use it, it is a powerful mill. It will surely start a little slower but once it picks up RPMs, it is unstoppable.
    kedarbendre and linea4me like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.