1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Honda Brio

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by gurjinder, Jan 23, 2013.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    A Honda Brio S-MT just got added to our home today. My dad was on the lookout for a small city car and the Brio was the one we felt would be a good choice. The monthly usage is hardly going to cross 500km's as the Palio D will continue to do most of his commuting, so a diesel small car wasn't considered.

The only competition car we considered was the i10, which was rejected pretty much instantly by everyone. To make matters worse, the test car was a battered and abused one. The Brio test car was a spanking new 2013 car and it did play it's part in the overall brand perception. The deal was sealed pretty much there and then.

Buying experience: Well, pretty much brilliant. Right from the test drive call to the delivery, the guys at Prestige Honda, Chandigarh were upto the task. The loan guys at ICICI were super quick and that helped in getting the car home in three days.

The deal : The ex-showroom price was 4.59L and we got the car at that price only including insurance, logistics, 3 year warranty, genuine Honda car cover, foot mats and pillows. The registration is yet to be done and expect around 25k for that in Punjab.

Delivery : This is where Honda made us feel special. In the delivery bay, a ribbon was cut and the GM himself came out to hand over the keys of the car and congratulate us. A bouquet, box of chocolates etc were also presented and a cake was cut which was shared by all. Call it a dealer gimmick or anything - the customer felt special and cared for. And at the end of the day that is what counts. The delivery of the Linea seemed like a sham compared to what i experienced today.

Okay onto the car: This is the first petrol car in the family after nearly 8 years. So initially i felt as if i was driving an electric car - a really boring electrical car. However after around 40km's , the character is slowly coming out. The experience will surely change in the coming months, but i'll try and describe today's experience:

Engine : Very tactile, quiet, no vibes, can pull from low revs easy. Will reserve any more comment on it till it sees 1500+km's.

Gearbox : Feels identical to the city ivtec. It is not a fast shifting box- just take your time, feel the movement, the gears slotting in and you'll be fine. Rush things and you will get notchy shifts.

Clutch action: Not progressive. Carefully modulate throttle input and clutch pedal and you can do seamless shifts. But try to be quick and the clutch will bite you. I wonder how many will even bother about this.

Brakes : Not really upto the mark yet; the pedal is spongy and travels a bit too far than i'd like. I hope it improves after some bedding in.

Ride : A bit bouncy, but okay in the city. I'm too spoiled by the road crushing Palio and Linea. :)

Steering : Well, its an EPS so can't expect much. Doesn't seem to be connected to the front wheels. Is light and the turning radius is good so that will be fine in the city.

Driving experience : It will be just fine for it's intended role - A city commuter. I'm not expecting the world from a car of this segment.

Interior : Quite nice. The i10's interior felt like a tractor compared to this. The stock ICE has USB/AUX, no CD, and the sound quality is easily better than the one in the Linea.

Cost cutting : Quite a lot.

Service : First at 1month and then at 6months/10,000km's. The coolant is to be changed only at 10years/2,00,000 km's and brake oil is never supposed to be changed. The spark plugs are good for 1,00,000km's. This is from the top of my head and i'll check the manual later.

Let me know any query which you guys may have.

Cheers.

DSCN2891.JPG
    19 people like this.
  2. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Congratulations Gurjinder! I am sure the Brio will be a trouble/niggle free car :)
  3. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Congratulatins to your Dad!!!! Nice initial review.

Hope people don't start questioning you, as to why you did not pick a 1.2 or 1.4 Punto :D
  4. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Variety is the spice of life!! Nice pick gurjinder.Hope you and your family enjoy the new ride :) And Congrats!!
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Gurjinder 22ji congratulations for new Brio.

Brio is just perfect city car with butter smooth engine and decent features at affordable price from Honda Stable.

Does your family prefer white color? Your Linea and Brio both of are white.
  6. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Congratulations buddy!!
    One issue (if i may call so) i found while driving brio was that when you honk, the horn vibration feedback could be felt on your clutch pedal!(if it is depresed at that point)
    Let us know if its a one off case or present in general.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Cheers Aaron.

:)

The Punto sits in another segment and a small car was preferred. We already have a car somewhat comparable to the Punto segment - the old reliable workhorse - Palio D. The Palio D has been and will always be my choice of car over the Linea/Brio.

Thanks Kedar. Yes, white has been an all time favourite since the Maruti 800.

Thanks. I'll see if it's present in the Brio, but i can surely feel the horn vibe in the Linea. The Brio has a puny single horn, though.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Congrats Gurjinder. Though I am not a big fan of the looks of the Brio, it sure is a hoot to drive in the city.

Rajan
  9. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Congrats Gujji Bhai. Mubarkaaa!!!
  10. nithin.v

nithin.v Amatore

congrats for the new car in the stable. More pics please