1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Honda Brio Amaze: Thin wall Diesel engine

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Nov 21, 2012.

1. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Agreed with all that you have to say but the ACI report compare's the I-DTEC & MJD state of tune done by the manufacturer. We also need to understand that the Amaze is still some way away from launch and Honda is still working on the engine tuning so the actual car may be a little different from the Amaze driven now.

I feel Etios failed because of the interior's. I always say this. With the Etios, Toyota promised us a cheap car but ended up giving us a cheaply made car. That is probably what resulted in the Etios failing & I am glad it failed because it showed a rare maturity on part of the Indian car buyer who managed to look beyond the 'haloed' T logo. Ditto for the initially overpriced Jazz. Kudos to the Indian car buyer who rightly showed the famed H & T brands that they cannot take buyer's for granted here by rejecting these two car's.

Many reviewer's have said that even the Brio hatch has better quality interior's then the Etios so the Amaze has that area covered.

Fiat is supplying one lakh engines annually for 3 years to Maruti-Suzuki. That's about 8,500 engines per month.

The SIAM report mentions production and sales of Indica Vista & Indigo CS together. Assuming Vista is 60-65% of these volumes and adding Manza sales figures to it I can give you last 3 months combined sales figures of Vista & Manza.

August - 7050 units.
    September - 7150 Units.
    October - 8300 Units.

It is a neck to neck between Maruti & Tata but Maruti probably has an edge in most months over Tata.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. May be i added Nano to the list, you are right on the numbers.Brio had good interiors but I think only VW is giving best interiors in sun 11 lakh segment.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Haven't you seen the interiors of i20? It is the best I have found so far in that segment. Also, that is the only point to cheer about the i20. :D
    1 person likes this.
  4. I have seen it but VW has soft touch plastics plus chrome lining so it doesn't feel entirely plastickey, also door plate is missing fabric cover which I did not like.
    To me i20 looks like after thought to make it look better from a not so good looking interiors but VW seems to have got it right at first attempt but just my opinion.
    1 person likes this.
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    VW, in my opinion, makes among the best interior's in terms of quality & functionality. Many people, specially expert reviewer's call their interior's boringly functional but I feel they have just the right amount of functionality and style. Besides, the quality is just amazing. All in all, VW group car's are great places to be in :).

Only thing that I don't like is that VW switched from their trademark blue & red instrumentation lights to the white & red one. While the blue & red looked cool & stylish, the white & red looks a little middle aged and mature. Probably has something to do with better visibility for the fast aging European population.
    1 person likes this.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It is not only the map which determines whether an engine will rev freely or not. Unless the engine has the turbo and the camshafts to enable it to rev high and freely, it isn't gonna rev whichever map you put in. And if you work the turbo out of it's efficiency zone, the intake temperatures are gonna zoom and pretty soon the turbo is gonna fail as well.

Way too many variables. So it'll be prudent to not assume that an engine which is happier at low revs can be made to rev freely like the Multijet just by changing the map.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    One thing I noticed in Etios is the moment one enter and sit in drivers seat it feels the entire world is collapsed. The expectation that we get from outside just reduces drastically. For Fiat it just opposite. It gives a classy feel. I am not talking about the interiors but the overall feel that dash design and steering position that communicate to the driver instantly. City also communicate it in a grand way. One never get disappointed as soon as enter and sit in drivers seat.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Definitely I agree with quality. But functionality I doubt. At least from my experience with polo. I would give score for functionality for Jazz and why not even Ford. For functionality I would place Fiat, Honda and Ford above VW. Personal opinion:).
  8. Turbo or camshaft is not made to just work under 3K RPM but they too have limits, it is not difficult to make car to rev 500 RPM more by the way of tuning.
    Yes there are lot of variables involved and tuners do know the limits, a 76Hp engine can be tuned to go upto 110hp,with out many mechanical change,offcourse it can go up even more with titanium valves,bigger turbo/inter cooler and injectors.
    Most of the engines have 15 to 30% possibility of the higher power and torque and i have seen the dyno too.planning to get my car also dynoed some time.
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Very good healthy & mature discussion going on now.

Kudos ! Feeling very happy about growing maturity of TFI.

:up:dance
    1 person likes this.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Some news coming in now.

- Honda Car India, the wholly-owned subsidiary of Honda Motor Co. of Japan will set up a greenfield diesel engine factory at its second industrial location in Rajasthan that have largely remained unutilised over the past five years.

- The company would start assembling a 1.5-litre diesel engine by early next year that would initially debut in the Amaze sedan which would compete with MarutiBSE -0.81 % topseller Dzire & Tata Motors' Indigo.

- The same engines would also come in Honda's other cars like the new Jazz and the new City sedan that would roll out some time in 2014 for the Indian market.

- "The diesel engine would not power any of the existing compact cars like the current models of Brio, Jazz and the City sedan."

Source - Honda Car India to set up greenfield diesel engine factory in Rajasthan - The Economic Times