1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Honda Brio Amaze: Thin wall Diesel engine

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Nov 21, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Any idea about the secret behind the name Dtec. D for diesel. tec for technology. Am I missing anything.
    Contemporary common rail diesel engines reflects the basic technology behind it. MJD, CRDI, VCDI, TDCI , DCI etc
    It looks like Honda want to sound it like Vtec. Honda is under Vtec addiction.:)
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Oops. I think my statement was taken out of context. I was adding to what amit said about the North American market on car's longevity.

Punto 75 weighs 1130 Kgs and 90HP weighs 1144 kgs.

From what I read from other forums, they say it will be a 1.5L 4 cylinder engine with close to 100 Bhp. But, I really doubt this. Either they may strip down to 3 cylinder or the Bhp may be in the range of 70-80.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    That will make it take off easily lol

I'm happy such a product is getting launched by Honda, even though Fiat has nothing to loose - I'm looking at MS bought down to their knees!
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I read that.
    Rather than seeing that as a review, I see that more as a marketing exercise undertaken by Honda. :)

Rightly said teky, this will be a direct threat to Dezires and Etioss not any Fiat. :)
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The earlier Honda diesel was named i-ctdi. So i wonder why Honda went for the i-dtec. Though if i were to hazard a guess, it was purely for marketing reasons. As i-dtec rhymes nicely with i-vtec. So that the customer does not feel that he has anything less than the "almighty" i-vtec.

All said and done, that 2.2 i-ctdi was recieved very well by the press and customers. Let's see what this 1.5 does.
    2 people like this.
  7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    In the market today, Fiat is not a competition to anyone! :). I doubt any company even consider's Fiat when they benchmark their products against existing ones. The Dzire's and Swift's use Fiat's MJD and thanks to their robust demand, Fiat is indirectly benefitting. If the Brio D hits the Swift and the Amaze hits the Dzire, then Fiat will also be hit bad.

Teky, mere bhai, the problem is if Maruti-Suzuki is brought to their knees then so will Fiat. Currently, Fiat's biggest customer of the MJD is Maruti. As it is Fiat cars are not selling but thanks to Maruti, Fiat is running it's plant and managing to do some business here. Instead of hoping for MS to be brought down to their knees, we should all be hoping that MS goes stronger after the Amaze launch.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yeah, I think I took your's as well as amit's post out of context:mad:
    1 person likes this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    When Etios launched Toyota had a reputation of one of the reliable diesel engine producers. D4D worked for all road conditions of India from Kanyakumari to Kashmir.
    But Etios was not able to take that advantage. Let us see how the new comer Honda is going to shake the market. In India Fiat never faced the heat of a competition from a diesel engine. I pray Amaze to be a hit. Even when Fiat seen bottom line it was in a relaxed mood but anything affecting swifts and Dezires is going to be a real concern for Fiat. Overall a competition is going to benefit the Fiat and the fiat lovers indirectly.:)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Like 'Gandhi' sir name in Indian politics:D
    1 person likes this.
  10. Amit,

Having experimented with lot maps on my car , I can say it is the state of tune that defines these characteristics. In 76 BHP punto I am told there are 13 rows which cater to fueling with respect RPM, torque and Power. if some one wants low end torque it can be done even in MJD but only draw back is loss of FE by 2-3 kmpl.in the same way car can be made Rev higher may be upto 5000 RPM too with fuel cut off after 5K RPM.
    but due to having just 13 rows there is bound to be some flat spots in RPM range, I also heard ECU used in Linea has more rows can be better remapped than FGT Punto.

People go for stand alone ECU's get away from certain limitations posed by OEM ECU.Weight of the car,build quality,handling,ride,aerodynamics and gear box(ratio)are the factors to compare.I see more and more people are open to going for remap these days to get what they wished in the first place in their cars.

Even I was thinking of going to i20 or Punto 90HP, to just to get more power and drivabaility, but just took a gamble to go for Reamp Viola I got what i wanted,I got Punch y map like old swift first, now having linear but more powerful map, going to change to to better top end in the next map!! I don't know when i will stop.

An engine which gets trashy after 3k RPM can be made to rev smoothly as well as deliver good top end performance.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Etios is well received by TAXI segment but a person like me will not touch it, not due to it's cheap interiors or minimalist of features but for not being able get it remapped. Toyota seems to be putting strange chip number or maybe putting some other number than what actually there.
    Buy this car nothing much can be changed so good for Toyota but not for me.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Only recent one lakh engines were made for MS by FIAT but MS has license(from FPT) to manufacture DDIS in their own plant, that arrengement is global may not result in revenue for FIAPL directly.
    but TATA seems to be selling close to 25K cars every month and majority of them are Quadrajets,so they are being the biggest customer rather than MS.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    3 people like this.