1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Honda Brio Amaze: Thin wall Diesel engine

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Nov 21, 2012.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I tried finding some info about the Honda diesel engine but all i could find was it has low weight, it has low weight, and it has low weight. Nowhere could i find what exactly the weight is! Anyone have the figure?

The Toyota 1.4 diesel weighs 99kg's. The Multijet - ??
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Sat - You need to understand that all "regular" members here love Fiat & wishes it to do very very well. When someone here in TFI criticises Fiat, in 99.99% cases it'll be out of a latent desire to see Fiat doing extremely well and out of may be a heartburn seeing the status today. It's more a constructive criticism (for betterment of Fiat) unlike may be other forums where someone may criticise just for the sake of it. One should not look at such criticism here in the same way as elsewhere since the intentions could be entirely different in both the cases. When accepted, it displays real maturity of the forum.
    5 people like this.
  3. I read some where as 138 Kg's
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    The Honda engine? That's not really lightweight then.
  5. Multijet not Honda
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    Heavy engine with heavy cars and we FIATians still get 20+ kmpl easy. :)
    4 people like this.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    May be I will add one more point here in addition to what Amit(VP) had said. One thing that we can be really proud of as a fiat forum is that the amount of concern that we have towards what is best irrespective of whether it is Fiat, BMW or Honda. we need to preserve such openness. Finally it is not a single automobile company that had developed all the technology we see today. It is a collective effort like any other branch of engineering or science.

If we see the cars in india we can see that the ones that behaves superbly may not be the best in terms of some other departments. There are no cars that have every good factors associated with it. One thing that associated with these cars is the historical fact, taste of people in that region etc etc. Japanese people are survivors. Survival is in their blood.They are workaholic. That reflects in their products. They are produced to meet peoples requirements. They are produced to full fill the fundamental motive of their production which is profit. They will work hard to any extend to full fill it. In research, I know that Japanese people are too hardworking. It is too tough to work with them. They demand more. It is no surprise that in cars their products are successful and precise.

The entire European culture is different than this. Europeans have a different way of working. Even among Europeans it vary. So in their products and so in their cars. let us choose what we prefer and respect what others taken. Let us praise our cars where they are good and accept others where they are also good. May be I have no right to say because I have also violated from it. But One thing that all we know is that acceptance is much pleasant than resistance. Let us have only a very healthy discussions. :)
    4 people like this.
  8. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Latest ACI has the first drive of the Amaze and makes some comparisons with the Multijet:

- Amaze designed to perform best under 3000 rpm.
    - Terrific pulling power from 1200rpm!
    - Fantastic tractability & nice linear power delivery makes it better then the Multijet.
    - Better refinement then Multijet although the article does mention that Honda has used heavy insulation material with promises to the production variant having even better insulation. I really doubt these claims though. Come launch and all this will go out of the engine bay in interests of keeping cost's to acceptable levels. If they pull it off, great for Honda.
    - Rev hard and engine get's thrashy.
    - NO top end punch. Power drops off rapidly after 3800rpm. ACI says unusual for a Honda to not be free revving.
    - Honda claims best in class mileage. ACI predicts Amaze will give 25-26kmpl ARAI certified figures!

Having said that, I feel it's not right to compare the Brio / Amaze with the Punto, Brio is clearly a segment lower. Also, Brio petrol weighs 940 kgs. Even if the diesel weighs 1000 kgs, it will still be a good 140 kgs lighter then the Punto!

EDIT: Forgot to put this down earlier. The Amaze is just 30kgs heavier then the Brio! Add that to the assumed weight of the Brio diesel above and the Amaze at 1030 Kgs will still be 110 kgs lighter then Punto!

Anyone, please correct if my figure of 1140 kgs for the Punto is correct?
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    6 people like this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Is it a three cylinder engine?
    I think free revving of a Honda was characteristic of its Vtec engine. Even IDSI of old honda city was not enthusiast engine like mighty Vtec. So one shouldn't be surprise to see that free revving is missing.
    I guess it will give better roominess than Dezire like other honda compared to its competitors.
  10. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    After watching SVP's first impression I wish to add points with Amit's Post-48.

As ACI mentioned and I have heard the same from SVP that Ameze may not be highway car. It may be small city compact sedan which will be useful for city driving and above points are pointing towards the same.

Ameze's engine is all aluminium engine and it will be lighter than MJD engine.

But point is :- this is 1.5 L iDetec engine. Why you are worring for MJD. Unless Fiat wake up it will not give any impact to Fiat sales.

Main comparison will be with Swift Dzire, Indigo CS. Scala, Sunny & Manza are not compact sedan so compare with Ameze.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012