1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Home run in common man’s Maserati in Ferrari trim –aka PUNTO 90HP ER arrives in style

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by raj29, Nov 20, 2012.

1. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Long long ago not so long ago :)
    Its been quite some time i have written something on the forum and also about my ride

Some of the team (at least in Bangalore) already know that my car was Wolfed.
    I should have a special mention about the remap, as it is an amazing experience how the car has transformed and how useful these switchable maps are.
    Full points to Rajiv Chandran for developing such a good maps and Adarsh Suresh for getting them to us all.
    I had stepped in with a fellow FIAT enthusiast to meet Rajiv and Adarsh, but ended up getting the remap ;)
    Car was remapped @ 36400 KMs on ODO and it is now some 50 KMs short of 50K KMs.
    Dhanno is a charm as always with some more punch to it (touchwood).

Will write more about the 45K kms service and also about Dhanno :)
    prabhjot, DRIV3R, BoseSuman and 2 others like this.
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Raj posting after a long time :).

In the last meet I could not drive your car as few people where already test driving it. Hopefully I will get to drive it soon. Did you optimise the maps after the initial remap or has you retained the initial map itself?
    raj29 likes this.
  3. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Raj, after long time :), waiting eagarly to hear your remap exp. When are you planning to visit Hyd again.
    raj29 likes this.
  4. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Hi Suman, i was in Hyd couple of weeks back for a week.
    Krishna, i have the initial map and satisfied with it. We will meet sometime and you can drive the car :)
    Congratulations on becoming a mod, all the best
  5. raj29

raj29 Superiore

OK, here we go with my experience of the remap

Since it is extensively written already about the Wolf Remaps I wouldn't want to write details about it and the maps that are part of it. I would only be sharing details about my experience.
    My car is Punto 90 HP, 2012 mode with ODO @ 36400

As I said in my earlier post I had gone with a fellow FIATian to meet Rajiv and know something about the much talked about switchable re-maps.
    When we reached the place where they were staying for the day (in BTM), Rajiv and Adarsh were very friendly in connecting and discussing about the maps.
    Rajiv answered my question about the maps and the after affects of the maps, what changes would required to be done on the car after the remap and so on.
    I found the answers to be very hones and more importantly satisfying to me.
    All this and the thought to retain original map along with the other maps tempted me to go for the remap
    I was offered to try out the maps for sometime and if not interested to keep the maps at any point of time for what ever reason they would refund the money in full.
    But since I was already excited with the details shared I went ahead with the remap.

The remap itself took around 45-60 minutes and was done by connecting to the OBD port under the steering column.
    Rajiv connected his gizmo's (or so I should call) :) using the OBD port and started with checking for any errors in the ECU and then loading the maps.
    Once it was done, Rajiv demonstrated how to switch between maps and indication to find out which map we are/would be in.
    Super job by Rajiv and thumbs up for him and Adarsh.

We went on a short drive to test all the maps, there was clearly evident difference in each of the maps.

Map 2 felt more like the stock but with a lil better drive-ability, due to turbo spooling in quicker!!
    Map 1 was lethargic to say the least have not used it any time except for testing/feeling the difference :)

Map 3 and 4 are more powerful versions and give an impression of driving a different car altogether.
    Ofcourse I got used to these maps now after driving for almost 15K kms and feel like there is need and scope for some more power and drive-ability.
    Once in a while I keep using the stock maps so that I don't forget what the car was actually like and feel more happy about the way these maps bring that extra bit of more happiness to the face.

And I know there has been a lot of debate about how much of a stress it would put on the various components of the car and even to the extent of reducing engine life and so on ...
    It might be too quick to make this statement but, I can confidently say that if we continue to maintaining the ride as it is supposed to be with proper service intervals there wouldn't be any difference in the longevity of any of the components from the different values that we looked at during a real road dyno that some of us did on our remapped and stock Punto and Linea's.

To get some answers or hint to the above thoughts, some of us FITIans (Raghu, Haris, Imran, Jobin and Rajan) in Bangalore did a real road dyno using software dyno to determine the change in power between the stock and the other maps part of the remap. If we have to go by the conclusions derived from these dyno runs, there is absolutely no strain on any of the components as the torque and power values are no way near close to being called as straining the components or the engine. Or rather i could say even if there is a lil strain on the components those of well with of being called as strained and to affect any components longevity by much!!

The 90 HP Punto churns out around 110 HP with the remap, where as the 75 HP outputs around 90 HP with the remap.
    The torque values were similar to those of stock values.

Noticeably Map 3 was found to be more powerful than Map4!!

I will not say that this would be a conclusion to all remaps that are being done out there but, holds good from my thought point from the details that we saw on our rides.

After using the remap for sometime now and also doing a dyno and looking into various aspects I could happily and peacefully lay to rest all the assumptions and happily enjoy the drives like any stock car.

I would like to end this topic about remap by making a special note and thank you to Rajan, who was the real reason for the dyno runs being possible and also to evaluate the various aspects of remap and after effects.

And some pictures (all the values shown in the dyno map are @ wheels hp)

Raj 4map.jpg

prabhjot, Ravi, Murphy_Fiat and 2 others like this.
  6. raj29

raj29 Superiore

45K KMs service Update

Got the 45K KMs/4th service done @ KHT on 13th Jun'2014.
    This service required to do all oil change (as part of the 2 year recommendations) since the car just finished 2 years.
    The total bill was INR-15707

Got my first set of Disk Pads changed too and the Disk itself required some skimming as there was unevenness on it.
    Got the engine oil flushed as the car was 2 year old and was out of warranty. They don't do engine oil flushing if the car is under warranty as it is not recommended by FIAT!!

As always am happy with the way KHT had taken care of the service from taking the car for service to delivering it back to me on the same day in about 5-6 hours (this includes their Lunch break also).
    Hari, took care of the service and I was around the car all the time while the service is being done and no one objects about it @ KHT :).

Initially i had a feeling that the service costed more, but looking at the bill and the components that were used, i feel its a fair deal.