1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Holla from Bombay

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by hirenmistry, Feb 1, 2012.

1. hirenmistry

hirenmistry Amatore

Stockholm
    Hello friends,
    I've been a Fiat fan even before I was born (yes!), the reason: we've had a late 1950's Fiat 1100 with the curved boot (called Dukkar Fiat) till very recently.
    I learned to drive on that and the good old Padmini. My fondest memory of the Padmini is doing power slides on light gravel when the tires were all bald and no tread left on them. Now we don't have any of these cars, we gave them away. Dukkar to my dad's friend in Gujarat and Padmini was sold to a junkyard.

Cut to present day, I'm Hiren Mistry, resident to good ol' Bombay. Am an IT guy by profession but most of my waking hours are spent reading and dreaming about bikes and cars.

Till quite recently I used to drive a used Civic that I sold as I was to travel onsite for an extended period of time and much to my chagrin the extended period of onsite stay was actually just over a month. :eek: And now that I am back, am hunting for a practical hatch for myself. After spending many hours researching, test driving I've booked a 2012 model Fiat Punto Emotion in Oceanic blue color last night.

I am expecting the car in around 3 weeks time. I've spent considerable amount of time reading threads on Punto 90HP and was keen to take it up but uncertainty over its availability and whether its been upgraded or not, have decided to take a safer option, that is Punto 75HP.

Now I can't wait to get my car, of course I will start a new thread here and look forward to interacting with all the members on this wonderful site.

Cheers,
    Hiren
    1 person likes this.
  2. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Congratulations hiren... beware very soon you will be riding a blue bikini babe - the fiat oceanic grande punto...
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. gopscreative

gopscreative Amatore

Chicago
    Congratulations on your Blue beauty.. You should have preserved Fiat 1100 man!!It would have been an antique in your Fiat collection.
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congratualtions Hiren for your blue GP.
  5. Congrats Hiren :)
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congrats Hiren, the Oceanic Blue will make you feel refreshed with the 90 horses under the hood.
    Do conduct the PDI well and we are all waiting to hear from you in the ownership section with loads n loads of Pictures.
    Hoping it would be the 1st Oceanic Blue 90 HP Grande....................
  7. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Congrats Hiren. How would you compare the 90 HP to the Civic? I know that both are in a different category, but just curious to know how you rate both of them when pitched against one another

Which dealer have you booked the Fiat with?
  8. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    congratulations on booking a great hatch. will be waiting for the pics of the beautiful colour.
  9. hirenmistry

hirenmistry Amatore

Stockholm
    I know now when I think back, feel we took a bad decision. I was just a young guy then who just wanted bucket seats and floor mounted gears :)
    Call me stupid.

Thank you Rishi.

Thanks Raaj or is it Ravi? :)

I hope so too, but what makes you guys think I've booked 90HP? I though I made a mistake in my intro but when I re-read it its clear that I decided to play safe and get the 75HP.
    Sorry if my post created any confusion

And thanks Tony, yes I will create a new thread and needless to say will have enough of pictures too.

Thanks speedjet. And its a 75HP, not 90. Regarding the comparison with the Civic, I don't think it will be fair. Both operate in different segments.
    But will list things I loved in my Civi.
    Loved:
    The exteriors design - 6 years on and its still a looker. I still rate this among the best looking sedans.
    Interiors - I had the car for a little over a year and till the last day I would be mesmerized by its blue ambient lighting, HUD like speedo, centrol tacho. The best part in the Civic for my, by far.
    The space - Had oodles of legroom, both front and rear.
    Quality - My car was Aug 2006 model S-MT and it did not rattle or create any unwanted noises. The switchgear, the button everything was designed well and ergonomically.
    Steering - One word, Electric. Punto is close to this. Hence my decision to go with it.

Dislikes:
    Soft, saggy suspension - I hated this. Even with 4 onboard the rear would sag and would bottom out easily on any undulations. Cured this a bit by fitting coil spring assistors. Never got any confidence to push it beyond 150 KMPH that too on our Bandra Worli Sea Link Rd.
    Fuel efficiency - I could never get more than 9 KMPL in the city. I guess the blame lies with me as most of my running was short distances.
    Expensive to maintain - Honda's parts pricing is absurdly high. For eg: front brake pads cost a whopping 6K at HASS, I sourced OEM (Nissin) brake pads from Opera house for 1.7K. Front door costs 17K (unpainted). I can go on...
    Shallow boot - Barely 400 ltrs and no 60:40 seat split.

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot Karan.

Cheers guys.
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Congratulations Hiren.....hope we will meet in next TFI meet :)