1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hissing noise from outside the body

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by theblack, Mar 5, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi All,

My MJD is producing a hissing noise when idling and I've noticed this noise from the day I bought the car ('09) .
    When I start the engine and idle I hear a sssssssss noise coming from the outside. (When i stand outside the car)
    There is no In cabin noise but yday my cousin was quick to catch this noise and found it a bit odd.( His linea does not make this noise)

I wasn't worried till now because it was with me from day 1 so i presumed that this phenomena could be because of the turbo bleeding air.
    But now especially after I was pointed out that this noise could be because of an AC leak , I'm a bit worried.

Does other punto owners also have this same issue?
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hissing noise

If noise is coming from back side then it is perfectly normal. The noise from backside is due to low pressure fuel pump installed inside of fuel tank.Can you specify the location of noise. I am getting hissing noise near front right tyre.Is this normal ?
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  3. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I had noticed this in my 2009 model Punto and taken it to the service center. The sound comes from the underbody of the car and cannot be heard in the cabin at idling or revving.

They said it's from the fuel pump. Punto's will have this sound as they have a manual fuel pump while Linea's have digital / electronic ones so there is no sound in them. This is what the Tata - Fiat technicians said so I don't know how far we can believe them!
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Even Linea have this hissing sound.
    Nothing to worry about the same hissing is produced for 2-3 secs when you switch on the ignition.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    its very normal. all mjds have this hissing sound. dont worry forget about it.
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    There is no any differance of fuel pump in GP & Linea. Manual pump you are talking, works on revolution of camshaft. e.g. M800 (Carburetted) FIAT UNO (Carburetted Petrol). Electric fuel pump runs on battery current. Found on UNO (Diesel) & other cars having ECU.Fuel pump noise is based on the fuel qty. remained in fuel tank. More fuel more hissing noise you will get.Some fuel pumps emits specific priming noise some not. Both condition is normal.
  7. Buzzer noise from Fuel tank

Hi All,

There is a continues buzzer noise coming from fuel tank when my punto is started. what could be the issue?
    i checked below and there is no physical damages and fuel is flowing properly.
  8. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Please head to the SC & show them the issue. May be there might be any problem with the sensors...
  9. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    There is nothing to worry. It's quite normal due to low pressure fuel pump working - Please check this thread. Also do search before creating a new thread, everything has been documented in this forum.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Threads Merged.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012