1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hip Hop Black Punto 1.3 MJD - 3 Months of excitement

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Anand3553, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Anand3553

Anand3553 Timido

Chennai
    I have finally found some time to compose a short buying experience/ownership review and share with everyone. It is my first post of its kind and kindly request everyone to excuse the mistakes that I will be making.

I have been driving an M800 which is still serving my family back at my hometown. We bought it from the previous owner soon after I got my license and was re-registered a couple of years back and is still going strong. Myself and my dad learned driving on the M800 with zero knowledge of maintaining a car (My sister gave a try but gave up sighting anxiety issues and recently my wife tried and gave up after she banged to our neighbor’s fence), we never even cared about anything other than filling petrol when the car almost starts crying due to gastric issues. And it saw the service centre only when it was making a hell lot of noise and struggles to take us home safely. We used to be all over the gear lever changing gears, shifting to 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] from 4[SUP]th[/SUP] at 50 km/hr and what not. But the car never let us down. We were never stranded in the middle of nowhere, the car got us home safely every single time we took it out. When I say that, I mean it. The car never even had a puncture when we were on the move. Now that is what I call a family car… Way to go Maruti Suzuki. Hats off…
    Now that we decided it is time to get a new car for ourselves for our home away home in Chennai, it was the phase of my life which most of you in the forum has gone through. It is the time when you make use of your office internet the most ;). It is one of rarest phase of our lives, the only time when you love sitting in front of the office laptop. Suddenly all my colleagues started noticing that I am glued to my laptop and started suspecting that I am working hard for the appraisal which was around the corner (I got screwed in the appraisal.. damn..), the IT guys out here will know exactly what I am talking about J.
    Now that I started the search, below were the criteria that I had in mind for my car

• Should be a diesel hatchback/mini SUV(flavor of the season) as I am going to drive in B2B traffic when I am in Chennai
    • A capable highway handler, because the idea of getting a car is to have our own private long trips
    • Safety is paramount, dual airbags and ABS is a must and preferably EBD
    • Rear seat comfort does not matter much as it is going to be a 2 seater 90% of the time
    • Fun to drive – Oh yeah…J
    • Should have decent looks.

To my advantage, my better half left the whole car thing to me and did not interfere or try to influence a bit in my decision. If she did anything, it was only helping me to zero in on the car of my choice (Will come to it as I proceed).
    Below were the options

• Hyundai i20 – Loaded to the roof with technology, top class safety and checked all the boxes in my list. Would I buy it? Lets see
    • Hyundai i10 Grand – Peppy and superb city car but somehow I felt it would not be an ideal car for a long drive. I think the test drive car influenced my impression as well, it was heavily used, and not maintained well. The driving experience was pretty dull too. All in all, it was not exciting enough for me to decide to own it.
    • Swift Dzire – Not a hatchback but recommended by my dear and near for the practicality and peace of mind which is absolutely right and I do love Maruti. Enter my wife and I realized that she has an absolutely rocking taste of cars J. She told me that she will never sit in the car if I buy that because she felt that the designers of the car accidentally submitted the final design without completing the boot section resulting in the axed boot... Amazing!!! I was not too fond of the new Dzire’s non-proportionate looks but simply couldn’t hate it as it was a Maruti. However, my wife saved the day.
    • Etios Liva – I do not want a car made of plastic. Awful build quality. Did not even take a test drive
    • Ecosport/Duster – Checked them as I wanted to know what the new buzz about mini SUV’s are all about. However, realized that it is going to be too costly if I need a decent edition.
    • Fiat Punto – As destiny would have it, stumbled on to the new Fiat showroom opened on my way to home from office. My wife and myself went to the showroom next day. There was a hip hop black Punto on display and what a sight!!!

Enter the showroom and the executives warmed us up with excellent customer service. Each and everyone from the receptionist to the house keeper was courteous and accommodating. I was guided to the executive assigned to me and he was the most patient and resourceful executive I have come across all these days. They arranged the test drive and we were simply blown away by the car. I am not sure what the Punto does to you, but it just bowls you over when you drive it. Suddenly you do not want to know the price, the mileage, the ASS and no nothing. You just want to own one. I believe everyone who owns a Punto have felt the same when they drove it for the first time. The SA offered a visit to my home with the test car so that I can have a longer test drive the next day and I gleefully agreed. But as you would understand, the decision was already made. The SA gave me a call as promised the next day and we did the test drive for around 50 Kms and he was very patient to listen to all my questions and answer them. Eventhough I did not analyze if the car meets all my requirements the previous day(simply because my ability to think was hampered by the overwhelming driving experience J), During my second test drive, I found out that it checks all boxes in my list.

So off we go to the showroom in the evening, booked a hip hop black Emotion. Everything was smooth as butter with the ever so helpful showroom guys. Delivery was promised in 5 days after I make the full payment. Arranged the cash and made the full payment. Did the PDI and everything was perfect. Took the delivery of the car and drove off the showroom amidst of the ‘Happy motoring’ cheers of the executives…What a service it has been from them…
    It has been 3 months. We have done 2 long trips, one to Ooty and another to Kodaikanal from Chennai. The car has never failed to excite me, be it the city or the highway drive. There is not a single rattle that I have noted. I was the solo driver in both trips and never experienced any fatigue whatsoever. However, my wife have been complaining that the seat is on the harder side eventhough I found it ok.

Odometer – 3485 KM
    Mileage – 16 kmpl in city with full time AC and 19 kmpl in highway with 50% AC
    Issues – None.

What I like:

• A pleasure to drive.
    • I can drive the car for a 1000 Kms non-stop and still be as fresh as ever. Nil driver fatigue
    • Excellent highway manners
    • Overtaking in the highway is a breeze. Downshift to 4
    • I believe the excellent showroom experience I had would be carried forward to the ASS as well. The small interactions I had with the service guys has been pleasant.
    • And everything else
    What needs improvement:

• Soften up the seats a bit, quoted by my co-passenger.
    • Very limited storage space inside the car.
    • Improve the spacing between the pedals a bit
    • The power window and ORVM adjustment buttons are a bit too far from the seat for my liking. I have to reach out to them.
    None of the above disadvantages bother me a bit and all is forgotten the moment I crank the engine and put my feet on the pedal

I Had a Tempo Trax with a spare wheel at the back rear end me backwards when the Trax driver was trying to park at a very low speed. The Trax’s spare wheel hit the Fiat logo in the back of my car and it is caved in slightly but nothing major as the sheet metal was strong to withstand the force. I only have a minor dent which is not noticeable.

Thank you for reading through. I again apologize for all the mistakes I have made in this thread.

Mods: Please move to the appropriate section.
    7 people like this.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Anand, excellent start and please continue. Do post few pictures as well.
  3. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats Anand. Pictures please buddy!! ;)
  4. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Wow Anand what a start.

Congrats & enjoy the stylish Italian hatch.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Congrats and welcome, Anand.

I have an exactly similar story. Had booked i20 Asta in 2010 but later "upgraded" to Fiat Grande Punto after cancelling the booking of i20.
    1 person likes this.
  6. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    Ramkay or RDC??

Wish you a happy, safe and long driving experience with the Tank :)
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Thoroughly enjoyed reading it :)

Let the pictures upload!
  8. dumbestcoder

dumbestcoder Novizio

New Delhi
    Congrats mate.I can understand the feeling of yours.
    I too own a hip hop black punto emotion since last three month(almost).
    Odometer is at 4055km.
    Do post lots of pic of the beauty.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  9. Anand3553

Anand3553 Timido

Chennai
    Thank you everyone

@PaddleShifter, what a decision it was, wasn't it :).

Ramkay it was. Excellent service worth mentioning. Will provide the SA details if anyone needs.

Thank you :). Sorry for the delay in pics, will post them asap. Could you please share if you have done any paint protection job? I have done recently from CarCares in Chennai, They did an initial wash, followed by some claying, then some scratch removal and then the sealant. They charged me around Rs. 8000/-. Not sure if it is worth it. B DSC_0013.jpg elow pics were taken immediately after the work. Please excuse the picture quality, I had only my mobile cam with me.

DSC_0011.jpg DSC_0007.jpg DSC_0010.jpg DSC_0012.jpg
    3 people like this.
  10. mnranjeeth

mnranjeeth Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Congrats on your new punto!!! :smile:

View attachment 61753

I was trying to figure out what the above picture was for a long time before I realized that it
    the nice, clean and polished hood reflecting the roof like a mirror! :evilsmile :evilsmile
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.