1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hill driving for newbies

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by omzworld, Sep 30, 2011.

1. omzworld

omzworld

Hi friends,
    I am a newbie to driving and have bought Punto E MJD 15 days back.
    I have driven about 300KMs till date(highway + city), all in 'my fair lady' :). Enjoying a lot!

I am planning for a long trip next week to COORG. I suppose it wont be categorized as a hill station and dont think it has real ghat roads, so feel my 'new' Punto can take this.

Kindly provide any inputs that can help me on the trip. I will be having with me a friend who knows driving in ghats. So, I have my ass coverd in case of dificult situation.

Thanks guys,
    Omkar
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes COORG is not having any steep roads.
    And be sure Punto can go to steepest of gaht roads. Just not let the RPM goes below 2-2.5K. Downshift quickly if required. If it stops (it happens with so many drivers), don't worry, start and use 1st gear to go up. Shift -up the gear only when you have sufficient time to do so.

Enjoy hilly driving. You will love the composure of Punto on ghat section.
  3. Raj21

Raj21 Novizio

Secunderabad
    Yea ! Just gun it and enjoy it and don't shift higher than you absolutely have to !
  4. anoop

anoop Superiore

Cardinal rule of driving in hills - never carry more speed than you can handle. The chances for error correction is very less.

Always give way to vehicles which are climbing up.
    use correct gear while going up and while coming down. A general rule is, use the same gear or +1 while coming down (If you are climing using 2nd gear in a tight turn, use 2 or 3rd gear while driving down)

When drive down, do not ride clutch or breaks - make use of engine breaking. Being in correct gear gives you much better control than trying to shed speed using breaks alone.

Do not use high beams to blind on coming traffic.

Unless and until you are fully aware of your capabilities, never push your car to the limits.

Use horn liberally in the turns.

Be slow, safe and gentle on the curves.

Never cut into the opposite lane while negotiating a blind curve. Chances are that, the other guy may not be expecting a surprise.

If the car stops, do not panic. If you are not confident to use heel-toe method or modulating break, clutch and accelerator together, Use handbrake to stop the car from rolling back, put the car in first gear and give the accelerator while releasing the hand break slowly. If you have an empty ramp at your disposal, try it few times before you drive down.

last but not least, do not forget to enjoy ghats. It is one of the best place to drive, and once you get the hang, you will always go back for more :)

PS: what route are you taking? If you are sticking with state highway 88(mysore-madikeri road), nothing much to fear. If you are taking state highway 89+state highway 91 (Kushalnagar-dubare-chettali-madikkeri) be careful - there are lot of tricky turns. I will suggest you stick with the state highway 88.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Omz, anoop has already made a very long and detailed post. The most important part of hill driving is the curves. When you are entering a curve, especially a blind one, slow down a bit and be prepared to stop in case someone from the other side is coming on the wrong lane while overtaking. This was one reason for accident during the TFI anniversary meet at Chail back in June 2011.

Besides that, while going uphill, make sure the rpm does not go below 1700-1800rpm.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I had done a coorg trip trip last year. Roads in Madikkeri town are a little crowded and narrow. But Punto will not find ay difficulty in on Coorg roads.
    Adding to what anoop said.
    Like old time drivers say, use the same gear while going up and coming down, that is, if you went up in 2nd gear, use 2nd gear while coming down too.
    If the car stops, apply brake and clutch simultaneously and slowly release the clutch until you feel some very minor vibration and then slowly release the brake. This is just a matter of practise and then habit. Part joking and partly seriously, you can practise this in garuda mall MLCP :)
  7. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Buzz our members like J Ravi and other who had recently done trip to LEH, they can give further details about how to drive on bad roads up high hills :D
  8. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i m also newbie to cars, this is my first car too. one problem i am facing is the blind spot created by the thick A pillar and the quarter glass panel, which blocks the view especially when we take right hander curves is annoying. Though i m getting used to it, its still a hindrance to the fun factor. punto really like to be thrown around at corners and something which blocks the visibility like this can be dangerous !!
  9. One more important thing to remember is that Heavy vehicles (Buses,Trucks) while climbing on a U turn take the extreme right to complete the turn and also when they are coming down, ... hence.. we in the smaller vehicles have to make sure that enough road space is given till the vehicles complete the turn.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  10. anoop

anoop Superiore

Try adjusting the driving seat position. though this cannot elimiate the blind spot problem, it can reduce the issue to an extent.