1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

High time when central lock stopped working...

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by sageeshr, Feb 2, 2015.

1. sageeshr

sageeshr Amatore

Bangalore
    Sarjapur Road
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    My bad luck again:(. It failed again in the night on same door same way. Run only for 150Km since it got fixed on last Saturday. Now at KHT Service center Whitefield.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 3, 2015, Original Post Date: Feb 3, 2015 ---
    This time got it fixed from KHT Fiat Whitefield,Bangalore for free of cost and they have replaced both 'Rear Side Door Lock Motor-Lock Assembly RR and Actuator RR RH' of right rear door. Taken it from there and drove for more than 20KMs and found it working as expected yet.

Additionally got a call from Fiat Service and an offer for direct attention and inspection in case of repeat.
    Thanks Fiat!
  2. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    It is already a repeat issue since it failed just within 150 km of replacement. Please let the Fiat Customer have it invesitigate. At least this will make them realize that it is an OEM issue.
  3. sageeshr

sageeshr Amatore

Bangalore
    Sarjapur Road
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    True but this time there is a difference in resolution. The second part 'Actuator' was not replaced in first case.
  4. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    This happened to my car too a few months, I think the rear right door actuator failed and I got it replaced under warranty. Its being fine since then.

Though I was able to lock the car manually once you remove the door pad and dis engage the actuator. Anyone can do it if it happens in a remote location, takes about five ten minutes but you need the basic screwdriver. But agreed it is not something which you want to happen or sort out when you are travelling.
  5. sageeshr

sageeshr Amatore

Bangalore
    Sarjapur Road
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Wow! It sounds nice! We have an option to make manual locking working? Please share the steps to do it.It will be really helpful in situations where we can't keep the car unlocked till get next support.

Well,this is what I was asking to both service center guys to provide a practical work around to safeguard in such situations.Not sure whether they are really unaware of it or not ready to disclose. Anyways thanks a lot for letting us know about such an option.
  6. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I have faced it my friends - see http://teamfiat.com/threads/puntos-central-locking-problem-unlocks-immediately-after-locking.12036/. I am afraid it is not always possible to have manual override. In my case the lock mechanism was totally stuck. It did not move at all when I tried to lock it manually - neither from inside nor from outside using key. I would have broken something in the lock mechanism if I had applied too much force. Upon opening the lock actuator mechanism I found actuator gear had jumped position and was stuck in a position from which the actuator cannot go back! I guessed its right position and put it back. It started working perfectly. It had been working fine for last 10 months after I fixed it DIY. So I believe no guarantee of manual override unless Fiat changes the lock design.

My lock failed after I parked the car in hot sun for few hours. I think expansion of parts because of heat has a role to play. Therefore age of the car does not matter. That is why after this experience I have avoided parking it in hot sun for long hours. Recently the problem has become more common probably because of quality issues. Fiat has to take this issue seriously because it is a major safety issue.
    asimpleson likes this.
  7. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    You have to remove the door pad and un hook the lever which pulls/pushes the lock from the actuator. Once unhooked, that door can be kept locked all the time and you can lock or unlock the remaining three doors. It is defintely possible because the day I went to get this fixed, the service centre was busy and the service technician asked me to come back after a few days. And for those few days, I was able to lock the car.
    RaviHegde likes this.
  8. sageeshr

sageeshr Amatore

Bangalore
    Sarjapur Road
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks a lot,it is really a great help as long as FIAT does not have an option to provide.