1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

High engine noise while accelerating

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by mahen.jnk, Dec 30, 2015.

1. mahen.jnk

mahen.jnk Novizio

Hyderabad
    My 2011 August Punto 1.3MJD EP has clocked 72K. All services done as per the schedule. After 60K service in July'15 the engine noise was high and rough while accelerating, between 1500 and 2200 rpm in particular. I didn't pay much attention to it but checked with the SA when I went there couple of days back for AC problem. He opened the bonnet, listned to the sound and told me to get the timing chain replaced. Engine temp, pick up, mileage etc were normal. No oil level dipping, no black or white smoke. Anyway, I got the timing chain replaced. Along with it they replaced water pump, alternetor idler (or something of that sort) as well. Also carried out the 75K service. Invocie attached showing the parts replaced. While delivering the vehicle SA said that I still need to get the egr thermostat replaced and also egr to be cleaned for the engine to become smooth and noise to come down completely. He also says there is slight coolant leakage in egr. Is this correct diagnosis? or Am I being taken for a ride? It has already costed me 24K including 75K service.

I questioned him why that engine noise and roughness started immediately after 60K service. For that he gave me an answer like it might have become prominent due to engine oil being new and topped up after 60K service. Does old oil or oil level masks that noise?

WP_20151230_001.jpg
  2. gpunto75

gpunto75 Amatore

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Same issue with me @2nd service after 15000 km. I was expecting a smooth ride after the oil change. But the engine noise is rough now @2000 rpm. 1800 kms since that it has the same roughness.
    I ignored it because I suspected that instead of engine oil change, they might just have topped it up and billed me more. I'll be doing the oil change outside FASS to see how it sounds. Will be going for shell or total.
  3. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @mahen.jnk kindly clarify is your car is 90 HP or 75 HP.

@gpunto75, FASC would have definitely changed the oil as they would not play such cheap tricks. You can check the oil for yourself and see the color to get the assurance.
    I am assuming that your car is 75HP, however I am not sure what is the reason for the noise highlighted here. Do check with FASC for proper diagnosis.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  4. gpunto75

gpunto75 Amatore

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Pradeepji,
    I was new to all this matter when I changed the oil. However after 200 kms after oil change, I did check the oil. The colour was light brown with black particles visible and it was transparent and thin non sticky with smooth feeling when rubbed in fingers.
    Now after 2300 kms after the oil change, it has become black, but is thin- non sticky and smooth. May be it's diesel engine, so it has blackened out so soon.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  5. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Mate,

Thank you for the quick response, so this confirms that the FASC did change the oil and just did not top up.
    About the engine being rough at 2k rpm, kindly let us know if this is at cold starts or at regular runs as well. Also any specific band this roughness lasts in, or is it throughout the range post 2k rpm.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  6. gpunto75

gpunto75 Amatore

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello,
    The sound is noticed in the band 1500rpm to 2000rpm. It happens at cold start and regular runs too. I usually don't go above this 2000 rpm.
    Also while idling once last week around 3500 slight black smoke was visible.
  7. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you for the information.
    I am unable to point towards anything in specific in this case regarding the noise. Let's see if more experienced forum members can highlight anything.
    Also I don't find anything alarming with the black smoke at 3.5k as at high rpm's this behavior is normal.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    gpunto75 likes this.
  8. mahen.jnk

mahen.jnk Novizio

Hyderabad
    @PradeepM My car is 75hp. My problem is similar to what @gpunto75 is facing. Noise is between 1500 to 2000 rpm band and that too while accelerating. Not there if the engine is idle, very high in 2nd gear and reduces as I change the gears to 3rd , 4th and 5th. Almost NIL in 5th gear. Appreciate any inputs as I am planning to take it to FASS tomorrow or day after.