1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

high engine clatter

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, May 30, 2013.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    A friend's car (linea) done about 60K is having heavy engine clatter.
    The kind of noise that one hears when there is lugging .

Even at higher RPM the clatter is almost like the engine is always lugging.
    (If anyone has tried pulling a maruthi brand car at 20kmph in 3rd gear, the kind of engine noise it makes, that's the one i'm talking about)
    What could be the possible causes?
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune

Make sure its not injector noise. Turbo boost can be checked on the ECU scanner. It gives clear log of desired boost vs actual at respective RPMS
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    How do I check for injector noise.
    Is there a way to ascertain out by some sort of testing before taking it to service

from HTC desire S with cynogenmod 7.2
  4. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Warm the engine totally and then open the bonnet and bend down with your ears near the injectors. If the " Kad kad" sort of noise is coming from injectors. Secondly hook up the ECU scanner and see the injector correction cycle. If any particular injector is acting up it will show out of bond values.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    hmm. i think i can take the second route to be accurate.
    Do i need to go to TASS only for that or can i purchase a scanner and get the report myself?
  6. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Why to waste money. Ask the TASS to investigate. Its their headache till the car is under warranty for 4 years( standard + extended)

Nowdays poor quality fuel and ultra low sulphur diesel + ethanol mix rob the lubricating properties of the diesel. So the injectors get damaged abruptly.
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    What all thing ,you think you can do with a scanner?

High engine clatter can be due many reasons sometimes unrelated to engine electronics
  8. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Ethanol with diesel is a thing? I always thought it was more of a petrol "diluter"...