1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

High diesel engine demand, exports to China drive Fiat into profits

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Source - Economictimes

Some highlights -

• Fiat joint venture with Tata Motors has quietly broken into profits for the first time since its establishment.
    • Main factors - voracious appetite for diesel engines from Maruti Suzuki, export of engine components to China and better cost efficiencies.
    • The company posted a profit Rs Rs 269 crore in the six months ending March of 2013.
    • Fiat's exposure in the engine business is expected to rise further as its breadwinner engine business and the 7-9 new products planned by both Fiat and Tata Motors are expected to grow its revenues in the coming years.
    • Fiat-Chrysler's plans include the launch of a New Linea, as well as new launches such as Abarth, Grand Cherokee, Punto Cross and 2-3 new utility vehicles which's proposed to be manufactured and in some cases assembled at the Ranjangaon plant. For this purpose, the Fiat-Tata joint venture infused additional capital of Rs 650 crore in June of 2013.
    • The Fiat-Tata JV broken into profits for the first time since its establishment.
    • Important factors - diesel engines from Maruti Suzuki, export of engine components to China and better cost efficiencies.
    • During the October 2012 to March of 2013 period, the average engine production rose by over 20-30% compared to FY12. Fiat India produced 80,736 engines in six months, with an average of 13,000 units a month.
    • The company supplied over 1,00,000 engines from its Ranjangaon plant to Maruti Suzuki over the last 12-18 months.
    • The company's exports increased three-fold in the second half of FY-13 compared to second half of 2011-12 led by exports to GAC-Fiat's China plant.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    10 people like this.
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    So the next punto upgrade going to be called Punto Cross.

Abdul
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    I think its going to be Punto Adventure rather than Cross since Cross word is already used by VW! ET might have used the word in speculation. Anyways whatever it is called, now we roughly know how its going to look like :)
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    I guess it will be much better looking than the 500 based derivatives. Something in the 500 base is just not allowing the design to be complete like how the Linea and Punto looks

Abdul
    2 people like this.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Good to hear something about the JV.

I've personally seen the 500L & Trekking edition and they are far better than the renderings posted in this image search. I'll be happy if Fiat leave Punto & Linea alone and don't mess around them. Both are timeless designs which shouldn't be changed.
  8. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Glad to know that for first time Fiat is in profits after seperation in joint venture with Tata in March 2013.It will be good if Fiat launches Palio Adventure which is there in Brazil next year.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    It is not seperated, the JV is still on. Only the dealership tie up was severed by Fiat when it decided to go solo. The Ranjangaon manufacturing is still in JV.

I would have been far more happy had those Fiat engines been fitted in more than a couple of Fiat brands. I mean Fiat should seriously launch few more cars in each segments with the national engine.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  10. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Ya sorry,only marketing,selling & distribution is seperated & JV & their manufacturing facility is same for both.Ya we all would be happy to see Fiat's National engine in their own Fiat brand cars rather than in other company's tin cars.:D
    1 person likes this.