1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

High Beam - Usage

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Sambikap, Feb 23, 2012.

1. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Please don't use High beam in any where, its not a practise, its a crime. But in India no one think about it. If you want to increase visibility change your light with high power bulb, but please don't use High beam anytime, even others are doing so. It will surely blind others to face accident. If you need to teach a lesson, you can flash high beam couple of times to warn others, then immediately dip it.
  2. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    No, there is no rule says the use of high beam is a crime.. The rule clearly says that use of high beam in city is strictly prohibited and it can be fined up to 300Rs. We are free to use high beams in highways especially 4 lanes roads, also where there is no street light.. and also we have to dip when ever vehicle comes against us..

Again, change of bulb wont bring more visibility for longer distance, as it is a necessity in higher speed. Instead it can bring more visibility in shorter distance..

there are many rules here like speed limit of 70 for cars.. , how many of us do follow that rule? violation rule is crime.. but using high beam in highways cant be categorized so easily as the other rules. In kerala highways its almost impossible to drive with dipped light at 70km/hr speed.

then another thing, use of fog lamp unnecessary can cause glare to driver opposite to us. How many of us not using fog lamps in city??

my view is that , I am not against the rules.. but I will be looking for my safety first, if one continue to drive with high beam even after my signals to dip, then there is no choice for me other than going with high beam at him..
  3. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Linea 1.3
    You are telling that this are strictly prohibitted & fine upto 300 Rs, you may be very rich person so that multiple time fine is no matter for you. We are not here to teach you a rule, you are matured & know what to do with your life, but don't do anything which will cause nightmare to others. I am not sure with high beam how you are increasing your safety. Just to teach a lesson to 5 maroon there may be nightmare & lifeloss for other 5 innocent people, you have to think about that. Most of the Indian Traffic police are not so strict and with 100 Rs bribe they can spare you, but this will never return ones life if they lost their life.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    @BoseSuman, I would advise not to drive on highways without highbeam!! Switch to lowbeam only when you see an oncoming vehicle and that too is required on 2 lane highways. Most of the four lane highways have hoardings/plants on the divider, whose objective is to cut the glare from opposite side!

Many incidents have happened with me when i have been on low beam for some time on highways where I have failed to sight a pedestrian walking on the road, a tricycle, a bicycle, an auto without lights etc etc. As a result i had to brake urgently or swerve from the lane! One can't even sight a speed breaker on time with low beam at highway speeds!

In the city though we should never use high beams!!
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  5. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    You may please read What I posted... I said its strictly prohibited in side city only ... in highways you will have to use high beams.
  6. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    The worst of the lots are the MTC Buses, that is local city buses. Even in B2B traffic they switch on high beam. If there is a bus behing me kissing my punto's tail with high beam, I get so very agitated. Even though I put my IRVM to antiglare, the ORVM refelcts the light and gives me headache. I wish we had an antiglare ORVM. I think I should write to MTC asking them to cut off the high beam switch i ntheir buses as they are all driven in city only :A
    1 person likes this.
  7. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Three out of four idiots that i encounter in a dark lane has their high-beam switched on. I assume the following are the two issues.

Ignorance - People just don't know what a high beam is. Once i started flickering lights madly when an oncoming idiot's high beam was literally making me go blind. When he approached me, he started shouting at me as to why i was going on flickering the lights. I told, boss, your high beam was literally making me blind. He had his mouth open, but doesn't seemed to know what i was telling him.

Ego - Some people do know about high beams, but when you flicker your lights and they realize that their freaking beam is on, they just don't want to turn it down because of their ego. I see IT folks in my tech park with their high beam on. when you flicker at them, they just don't bother. It is not because they dont know about the problems of high-beam, after all that morning they would have shared Bangalore traffic police's note on facebook about the use of high beams, but they just dont want to practice it themselves. What else is preventing them from doing this? Only one thing comes in to my mind - EGO.

Whatever it is, whoever drives with their high beam on in city limits is nothing short of an IDIOT.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    +1
    +1

Suman,
    Use high beam on open stretch, if you see vehicle upcoming switch to low beam,if the upcoming vehicle is on low beam then thats good and fine.
    if its is in high beam then you should also be in high beam, your safety is more important here and as though the other side have already shited to safer side ;) ,may be you call it as selfishness,fear,blindness,whatever...

Have you driven on two lane in night with full of raining no divider nothing ? you will feel the heat on such roads,trust me recently my trip from solapur to Hyd it was nightmare with high beam lights.
    it took me more than one hour to set myselves to drive(40Kmph to 60 Kmph) in the rain and the upcoming vehicles with high beams.Keep in mind sometimes on the roads you will find the heavy loaded trucks or tractors without reflectors and tail lamps in such situation you need to keep on switching between upper and dipper to judge the vehicle presence.

Its not so easy to drive with low beams sometimes especially when you dont found the white lining at the border of the roads.
    In such scenario its hard to find the significance of the highway sign board wordingsz " Nazar Hati toh durgathna ghati " ;), its all about driving wisely.

Hence when it comes to high beam usage try yourselves to be in safest position as much you can.

One can think in this way as well
    "Finally you are important to your family ,forget about the 5 innocent/maroon....." as we(either low beam or high beam using people) are bound to Drive Home.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  9. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Linea 1.3
    Cool down guys.
    My suggestion is based on City Driving & those Highways ( Inside City) driving. You have to use High Beam on Open highway ( example:- NH9, NH5) to check for any animal, or stranded vehicle. Even I used the same. I have seen 80% Vehicle used high beam in above mentioned road, but there are some good folks who use low beam too. My point is, you must blink your headlight repeatedly to get the attention of other so that they get irritated & must lowered their high beam.
  10. golinea

golinea

pune
    Hey Sam,
    agree completely. Improper use of high beams is inviting death on our roads. These careless drivers need to be taught , maybe the RTO could play a greater role in driving the point home at the time of driving test for license