1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

High Beam - Usage

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Sambikap, Feb 23, 2012.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Driving in Bangalore city has become really tough because a good majority don't care to dip. It becomes even more dangerous when a smaller vehicle, say a two-wheeler, coming in the opposite direction won't be seen at all. There were quite a few accidents caused only because of high beams. Sometime back, a two-wheeler fell into an open drain as he could not see the road properly because of the powerful light from a car coming in the opposite direction. As you said, all you can do is to slow down.
    Not just the potholes, think of the numerous unmarked speed breakers on Bangalore-Mysore road! There is every chance that you will take off. These speed breakers can be seen only in high beam.
    Our old mahindra jeep had a special head lamp on the front bumper with a special switch targetted mainly at those who never care to dim. It can be dangerous at times. But those know to dim will be forced to do that. Those days, you could cut any wire and install just anything you want without worrying about warranty issues!

The govt machinery must think of implementing these strongly, like how they made seat belt mandatory for both driver and co passenger in Bangalore city. Those who violate should be fined heavily.
  2. Sambikap

Sambikap Amatore

I agree - I used to see this message in few trucks, unfortunately the truck will be using the high beam :( . Also, in NH4 we’ve seen such message but again its not conveying any message or awareness to the drivers!

Some kind of strong awareness needs to be done, so people understand the use of High / Low beam. But the question is who will do this? Even if someone does it what will be the result??? this is really a big question??????

I used to discuss this with my colleagues and did create some awareness between my circle - and I am happy that they are following :) But what about the remaining population who do not even understand that there is an option called LOW BEAM in their cars!!!!

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Correct, the real problem is for the two-wheelers. Though I have a car, for daily communting to office, I still use my bike.

Regards
    Sam
  3. gopscreative

gopscreative Amatore

Chicago
    Its a very serious issue and annoying to drive on highways especially.Really these ppl are Morons,who drive with their High beam always set to on.The problem is with the basics itself. My sis went to a driving school , who had two night drives for practicing and guess what ,the trainer never said any word about high and low beams and way it should be used:punch
  4. Sambikap

Sambikap Amatore

Exactly!!! now we know who the culprits are!!! they are not a professional trainer at all!
    1 person likes this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I still remember the trainer who trained me in 2001 told that I need repeatedly Honk to get a proper way on the road :). For me, both High beam usage and Honking are equally bad.
    1 person likes this.
  6. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I am driving in pune from last 1 year & every day I saw lots of people (IT people) with their new cars with high beams.

Though you use your high beam also they are not bothered about it. :(

Though I am having xenon lights without projectors I have to keep low beam always.

But for some people I have to use the high beam then whole picture changes.

I like to share a incident with me here,

One day I was with my friend in his new Ritz in mumbai. While drive he told me that the incoming car is just blinking his his light I guess he is mad fellow. So I saw his beam. It was high. I told him that the fellow person was asking you to dip as your high beam is blinding him.
    My friend replyed like though my beam is high but the level is low(3).
    Then I explained him about the usages of low & high beams. He understands it & started working on it.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    4 people like this.
  7. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    Nowadays everybody travel in high beams only.. my policy is I will be dipping my light and check whether the opposite vehicle came does the same.. if not I will use high beam and concentrate on left side of the road to avoid glare.
  8. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Rishike007... I guess We should take the initiative... If its not our responsibility then whose is it?
    We should start it with our friends, family members and Relatives(If we have any Driving-illiterate)... May be they will curse us by naming us Automobile Warm in their mind if not on face directly... but if we put this point in their mind then they will also notice it in day to days life practically... when someone will come with the high beam on them that time they will remember us(Automobile Warms) and understand how important this point is...
  9. doing tit for tat with highbeams will only jeopardize your own life. imagine if the other person too is blinded by your high beams!
  10. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    yeah risk is there.. my aim is to make him react to the high beam , if he is also have problem then sure he will dip the light..at that time I can do the same.
    Imagine the case where i am using low beam and other person using high beam , it can sometimes cause problems ..for better vision I have to put my high beam. That policy is not 'tit for tat' but to improve my visibility against coming high beam..
    In most of the cases we can avoid glare by not looking at the other vehicle's light and look at road especially left side of the road.