1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

High Beam - Usage

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Sambikap, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Sambikap

Sambikap Amatore

Hello TIFans,

Not sure if our forum has this topic was discussed already - I did search but didn’t find, hence I thought of starting this thread.

Mods - I hope this is in correct Thread.

Basically, I wanted to discuss about the "High Beam" usage. I've seen lots of people using High Beam in the city without even thinking or bothering about the opposite driver’s visibility. I've also observed this in high ways! which is really dangerous and annoying for others. </SPAN>

This is not only applicable for cab drivers, I’ve seen lots of car owners don’t even know when to use the “Low / High Beam” :eek: . The worst case is, even if we dip they don’t understand what to do! </SPAN>:mischievous

As a sensible driver, we need to use the high / low beam sensibly and understand its usage.</SPAN>

Please let me know thoughts & comments about this topic.</SPAN>

Mods – Once again, if you feel this is in wrong section or if it’s already done & dusted, then please move / remove this post accordingly.</SPAN>
    Hello TIFans,

Have a safety drive everyday!
    1 person likes this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sam
    Whatever u mentiond is absolutely true.its very hard to drive when the opposite driver comes with high beam.is there any solution? I believe there is no solution.and nowadays HID's. Just slow down speed when not able to see due to high beam.
  3. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I agree with you, Divers in Mumbai too drive with their High Beam in the city as well as on the Highways, they just Honk for Overtaking, Donno when will they realize the operation of LO/HI Beams..
    There are people who really drive on LO beam, but forced to drive on HI beam, as the opposite car is never making Beam LO.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    This is extremely true and all people who know me have a fair idea how much i hate people driving with high beam.

In Pune all cabbies , so called literate IT people drive with high beam throughout. I think the day they purchased their cars they put the switch to high beam and have forgotten where the switch is totally.

First i upgraded my bulbs with Osram Night breaker plus. Still no one paid any heed to it.

Then i spent around 15k from my own pocket and installed projector headlights. And sadly still 90% of people dont budge even after the onslaught of my dangerously powerful beams.

Only 10% dim their light if i use my projectors over them.

Sadly now i have given up and whenever i see anyone with full beam i just blast my beams at him and move on.

Now i am going to buy a antiglare transparent high quality goggs and use them while driving in night.
    4 people like this.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Sadly, no one gives a damn, really. High beam+fog lights+any other extra light is what everyone sticks to even on well lit city roads, leave aside highways. At times i get so irritated that i imagine installing a huuge spot light on the car roof angled towards incoming traffic who have their high beams on when its not needed. :evil:

What is even more shocking is people switching on their headlights (yes high beam too) when the sun has just begun to set . WTF. If the need is felt to switch the lights on at that time, then those people shouldn't be driving at all!

Indian roads would be a far safer place if only people followed two simple rules:

-stick to speed limit
    -use low beams

But that's like imagining a Utopia. :-|
  6. Hey guys, this thread really made me think over. I understand that we should use low beams within the well lit city roads and am doing so. But on highways i usually drive on high beams and when ever a vehicle approaches i would change it low beam so that the opposite guy can see the road. Majority of them acknowledge that. I have tried driving with low beams on highway but it seems it is next to impossible because at speeds of 60 or above we cannot see the poth holes and hills on the road well in advance.
  7. Manilruben

Manilruben Amatore

Chennai
    This has been a grave issue most of the times i get so irritated i drive straight in to the driver with high beams and tell him to dip his lights ...adding to the messy so called educated drivers is the share auto idiots with bright lights ..nothing has changed after lot of head banging .. in fact when ever i stop at the tea shop ad see these auto drivers i always tll them ..they complain the educated class is on high beams so i am forced ..so ut like chichen and the egg story who will stop first ...
  8. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    Same here. Its so irritating & I don't know how people see in high beam at least in winter/foggy conditions. Almost 60% of the cars in Delhi are being driven at high beam & the worst part is they don't care/know what to do when you dip. Even at crossings when the car is stopped, nobody cares to switch off the headlight or at least dip it so that the traffic coming in from opposite side can at least see the bloody road.
  9. Sambikap

Sambikap Amatore

Hi All -thanks for all your comments.

Of late car population is rapidly increasing in India - I am happy that India is growing so fast, but only worry is people who buy the car doesn’t have basic knowledge on how to use it. They just think owning a car increase their status, which is true - but forgets to understand some basic rules while driving. As “Italia-Linea” rightly mentioned – “so called literate IT people drive with high beam throughout”. And, comments from Gurjinder is completely true….using all the lights “High beam+fog lights+any other extra light”

Is there something which can be done???? I am not blaming traffic cops for this (though the rules are not strict) – its people’s responsibility to understand the rules and follow them !!!

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

I wish we have this in India!
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    this is an serious issue now ! previously in india 4-5 people use to accomodate in a car,but now one person= one car,this is increasing traffic, this we are compromising with time;).and also one should think about the infrastructure of the city, as the car users also increasing.gimmme a break !:D

On truck's and Autorikshaw we normally see the govt. quotations "Hum Do Hamre Do::OO" , jsut change this quotations with "Use Low beam" :D

I remeber i saw the usage of beam instructions on NH-4 Toll ,it was written in white color characters with green background and font of size 10:p (i was in bus hence was easy to read)