1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

High Beam inside Bangalore city - Pay Penalty

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Ravi, Jul 24, 2014.

1. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    One of the most stupidest headlight alignment and design. Not sure how they passed the low beam pattern legal for road use. I am a moderately safe driver, but Tata Ace makes me go Hyper and Switch on All High beams and Hellas.

Lol, this has happened to me a couple of times. It was Dang, what the hell moments for me, but little different. I normally switch off my headlights and flash. I switched off and flashed, the opposite guy also did the same. This went for a couple of time and I switched to high beam and dang, he too did and an extra set of high beams came in along with the low beam:eek:. I was like :A
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. svvickky

svvickky Amatore

bangalore
    Please let us know the correct usage of high beam too. It wil be useful for new learners.
    I was never taught about it during driving classes in bangalore.
  3. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    AFAIK and having sat by the side of experienced truck/bus drivers during night trips:

* Never use high-beams in city limits where the roads are properly lit

When in highway on a poorly laid and lit road, when an oncoming vehicle is blinding your vision, do the following :
    1) If you are running on HI beam already, bring it to LOW. If you are on LOW beam, bring it to HI for a second and then switch to LOW immediately
    2) If the oncoming driver is a sensible guy who understands that his headlamps are blinding your vision, he'll bring his beam to LOW for a couple of seconds helping you to see what's ahead of you directly (by his side)
    3) Observe quickly and if your LOW beam isn't enough for the purpose, you can switch to HI beam to get clear idea. But, you have to do all these within those few seconds which the oncoming driver will spare you. Once you switch to HI beam, the oncoming vehicle will also switch to HI beam mostly.

Very few gentlemen keep driving on LOW beams till you pass them. Few give you a couple of seconds to observe (like I said above) and few morons never care about your safety.

This is what I follow in highways, and I'm open to admit any corrections in the steps I follow.
    1 person likes this.
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^,

You missed one point in the above.

Slow down if u r at high speed during this process, coz during high speed a split second diversion is dangerous ;)
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  5. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I have different point of view about this. It may be ok to flash the high beam momentarily to notify the approaching vehicle that he is on high beam, but keeping it on for few seconds will blind the other guy as well and it may not be good even for our own safety. I believe it is safest if both vehicles use low beam till they pass each other and I have seen majority of drivers following this protocol.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  6. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    An another drive by BTP on saturday
    Booked 1,006 drivers and riders of vehicles including two buses, five lorries, 30 autos, 193 cars, 22 maxi-cabs, five tempos and 739 two-wheelers for drunken driving in both East and West divisions.
    And 389 vehicles were also booked for using high beam and dazzling headlights in the city

City cops book 1,006 drunken driving cases - Bangalore Mirror
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ^^ Though its a good drive, but where are the results? Fine paid by the motorists should pinch their pockets; which is one way to make the offenders think twice before the offense is repeated. Increase the min penalty amount for traffic related offense to @3-4 k... Automatically people will fall in line. Present penalties of @300-500 Rs is hardly anything
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  8. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

BANGALORE
    Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I do not think increase in penalty amount will yield anything in India. Increase penalty amount = increase In corruption @lower level in India. Just see Government banned Cigarettes in public place with penalty. But now days i am seeing the small shop owners are paying 10 Bucks to Police man for allowing their customer to puff in public place.

We Indian are not giving dam to the penalty hence I feel take offenders pride in front of every one, because pride is what we value most in India nothing else. Might be my comments is to sarcastic, but this is bitter truth.
  9. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
  10. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    We can't expect the results so soon. Anyways the points you mentioned is true. But more money more corruption as mentioned. And even BTP knows that. That is why they have now got the authority to take the license and cancel it. I think this should make a fear in ppl before breaking traffic rules.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014