1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

High Beam inside Bangalore city - Pay Penalty

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Ravi, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Saw Bangalore Traffic Facebook page -
    Just googled it, and it looks this rule is there from long time, wondering if they could not implement till now, how will do they now?

High Beam.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    First they need to find an alternative to the stupid TATA Ace headlights. Even the low beam so pathetically aligned that it invariably blinds you even in low beam.

Second are the cabbies, some dont even know the difference between low beam and high beam.
    8 people like this.
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Unlike cabbies, i have seen these buddas or 50+ guys driving car with high beam all over, it makes me go blind and irritated.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    How are the authorities planning to track and penalize the culprits? This all boils down to self dicscipline and awareness of the hazards in using high beams while driving. IMO the govt should force the car manufacturers to keep the high beam as a luxury item and make it affordbale only to those with lot of extra money to spend.
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Every day while returning from office feel like smashing the headlights with high beams. Last night while I wanted to take a right turn on a poorly lit road, an XUV guy has parked his vehicle on the opposite side with high beams, fog lamps and what not turned on. God knows for what joy. It was really a blind turn for me. Had to take a turn crossing my fingers. Ulsoor traffic police team were at my office during the B'lore Road safety week campaign. Raised the issue of usage of highbeams and the irritating white lights. It was about 3-4 months back & they had assured it would be taken care.

Headlight stalk for few of them would be in high beam for ever! In this regards, Fiat has given a sensible feature where the stalk doesn't stay at high beam once the lights are turned off.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    The Meru and Tabcab guys are notoriously known for using High beams. Each time I use their services before boading I make sure that the high beams are switched off. Although they protest that they are used to it, i put my foot down saying that I would cancel the booking if they do so. Till now have been successful.
    2 people like this.
  7. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    50% or more of these high beam users simply do not know what the high beam is , or when it is meant to be used , or that it blinds oncoming traffic. To them high beam=head light. I wonder if they use high beams in fog as well :(

An emerging trend is that of users (a lot of i20's) having only their park lights on at night , along with DRL's .. because , of course , the DRL's are aftermarket and LED's and nice and bright. Again few of them know what DRL's are actually meant for...
    1 person likes this.
  8. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    A very different experience with low beam. Couple of days back I was driving back from office at night and there was light rain as well. In one of these stretches, there was a high end car coming from opposite side and the projector headlights were literally blinding me. Switched between high and low beams but he did not budge. It pissed me off and I switched on my high beam. What followed next was hilarious!!! He switched on his high beam (he was on low beam till then:eek:) and the effect was so strong that I could not see which was that car in first place! Had to stop for couple of minutes, close my eyes for a while and then took off!!!

Hence high beams are anyways bad. But some low beams are equally bad as well :p
    1 person likes this.
  9. unleash_thunder

unleash_thunder Amatore

Bangalore
    I think people need to be sensitized on the hazards of using high beam within city limits. While driving from the office at night, i am blinded regularly by vehicles using high beams and i end up using swear words for them and with high blood pressure. Have seen almost 95% vehicles being driven in high beams and i do not think police catches them.
  10. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    One can check, but most probably on well-lit city roads, vehicles are to be only on parking lights. In fact I have heard traffic police announcing on loud-speakers in Indore (long ago) to do so at the main city circles where we really could see all vehicles without headlights. Is there such traffic rule?

Govt & communities must highlight this issue in media and local displays and we should bring this up among our circles. A large number of road accidents at night happen due to high-beam. In my 21 years of driving experience, I have found the truck-drivers the most mature and understanding.

By the way, I am 50+ and I don't use high-beam wrongly. In fact the number of 50- drivers is much large and hence their number is large among high-beam user. Many time people use it as a mark of superiority.