1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hi Comrades!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by whitepunto76, Jul 24, 2013.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Hi TFI,

I was looking to buy Punto MJD for long time and hence found TFI has much data n perception of a buyer.
    Most of the threads are relevant and helps new members like me to experience & look out what is needed.
    Thanks for providing such good forum for exchanging views and value adding positions.

Currently, I have shortlisted used Nov 2011 Punto Active MJD 1.3 from a close friend. Taking a delivery tomorrow.
    It has run 25000kms and is in very good condition.

I want to do following mods:
    1. Replace JK 165/80/R14 with 195/60/R15 (Alloys plus tires)
    - Thinking of just going for 185/70/R14 due to cost involved
    2. Put RD Tuning Box
    - Just thinking how much will it really improve
    3. Paint Red on Mirrors and Black paint on Roof - Got a quote of 5000 at a paint shop.
    My budget currently is 30k.

Planning to retain this car for 5yrs.

Yet to plan what mods should I do first and wait for later. Since Active does not have ABS, tire upgrade with good grip n baking is must.
    Tuning box for better driveability. Not sure if I have to choose Race Chip or RD Box.
    My style is driving is aggressive. 50% City and 50% highways.
    My avg speed on highways is 80-120kmph.

My previous cars were Swift DDiS, Scorpio MHawk.
  2. shams

shams Esperto

welcome to TFI whitepunto76 :)

you have another option for the tyres in case budget is a constraint. you can put 15 inch linea steel rims and wheel caps. that should come within 6k. only major cost would be tyres. i have done the same thing for my active!

dou you mind sharing the price at which you are buying?
  3. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

I would not like to quote the price. However, it would be interesting if someone can tell me what price can be negotiated.
    I may have paid a little premium but only for piece of mind and its history.
  4. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    Welcome to TFI and Congrats for your Punto. You can refer threads pertaining to 'What tyres to buy ' and 'tuning boxes or remap'. Please go through the same which would help you in deciding as per your need. Happy motoring Fiat :up
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

if the car was maintained well then you will have no worries even if you keep it for 8-10 years .
    25k is just too low for any major issues to crop up .
    All the best post the ownership review please

Grande Punto 1.3
    Congrats & Welcome to TFI.
    Regarding upgrade of tyres you can select linea steel wheels + 195/60 Profile tyres. This is best and econimical solution in Active model.
  7. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Welcome to TFI.

If you are going for alloys go for 98pcd fiat alloys. Dont buy any other aftermarket alloys else buy Linea 15" steel rims with Linea Active wheel covers. Tyres plus alloys will cost around 40k else keep your tyre change on hold for sometime and do it later.

Race Chip is better than RD AFIK. But that too depends on one's taste. I have my Active without any tuning box and have done around 35k kms in 18months.
    As far as performance figures it would not have a drastic improvement. Moreover the price involved for tuning boxes is around 15-20k else get yourself remapped for some improvement and it will come around 20-40k depending upon the tuners.

Painting red mirrors will not cost more than 500-1000bucks. Instead of adding black paint on the roof go for vinyl stickering on the roof either matt or gloss finish. It wont cost you more than 1.5k and if you dont like the color after sometime you can remove the stickering but it is not the case with black paint.
  8. Venkat Y

Venkat Y Novizio

Welcome to TFI,

Nice choice for the Car, Just cures to ask how did u feel Punto compare to Swift DDIS ?

Do u still own Swift ?
  9. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

I dont own the Swift now. Its sold 2yrs back. Dynamics-wise its almost the same. But I hugely miss the turbo spool effect of DDiS. It would have been icing on the cake.
    Nevertheless, Punto is leagues ahead in handling & ride quality. The engine is much smooth as we crunch the miles in MJD. One major problem I had was too much rattling and engine noise was more in Swift, Steering was light and it served me quite well. All my service was done in Suraksha car care. Its gem of a place to get cars serviced.

Let me now enjoy the car built by the National Engine Maker. FIAT!!
    Will keep the ownership thread going.