1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

HELP !! wheels are getting lock while reversing

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Nightfury, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Nightfury

Nightfury Novizio

kolkata
    kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i just faced a weird prob in my car today morning..
    while going in reverse on slightest touch on brakes (front lft )wheel is getting totally locked. even after releasing the B paddle the wheel aint moving an inch
    some how i discover .. at this point if i put the car in any other gear .. its starting to roll fine in forward , but just before that its making a big "khat" sound from the same wheel..
    and all of a sudden i feel th brake paddle is making too much . "phss...phss " sound while applying .:confused:
    (i checked the break fluid level .. that was normal too )
    another issue I felt for the first time earlier at night was .. while breaking at 160+ speed , the ABS pulses were very loud . like some thing wrong happend to the wheels ..(is this normal ?? I never drove an abs quipped car at this speed before)

plz pour in some suggestion about what might went wrong?? or ask me if u you need to have some more infos for your verdicts.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Best bet = Get the brakes checked at the FIAT dealer. Prima facie, it sounds like you have worn out brake pads + one caliper is sticking.

Only the mechanic will be able to give the clear picture.
  3. saugatchandra

saugatchandra Novizio

Navi Mumbai

i had a similar problem of one front wheel locking after replacement of brake pads @ TASS.
    it was due to brake caliper not secured properly and had come loose from the lower end.
    It made a knocking sound sometimes as the car was moving forward and while reversing would tend to lock-up the wheel as the caliper moves out of place and gets mechanically locked with the wheel. Any mechanic should be able to solve the problem if it is so.
  4. Nightfury

Nightfury Novizio

kolkata
    kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Gurjinder: pads not worn out im sure.. as I have changed them just couple of days back..

@saugatchandra: your's seems like the same case with mine .. Thanks for the prompt feedback.
    Unforturtunately its festive season in kolkata.. Lets see when I can find a mechanic..

Do you think I can/should drive in this situation ??may be for next couple of days ..:confused:
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

IIRC, you put in the Gemco replacement pads recently. They might be the culprit here.

Ganges too was not happy with them and removed it.
  6. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    if its getting locked while reversing STOP USING CAR TILL YOU SOLVE THIS ISSUE
    I
    HAD FACE THIS SIMILAR ISSUE WITH MY PUNTO AND FOUND BROKEN BREAK SHOE WHEN OPENED DRUM.
    SO IF YOU TRY REVERSING CAR IT MAY DAMAGE BREAK CYLINDER AND INTERNALS OF BREAK DRUM ASSEMBLY
    1 person likes this.
  7. Nightfury

Nightfury Novizio

kolkata
    kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.3
    the sound is coming from front left wheel can it happen to the break pad too!!

one more observation ...In your case did you use to get a "khattang" kinda sound (like broken metals) before the wheels starts rolling after a lock up . ??

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yes .. I ordered them before registering the forum .. when first time some one warned me about it .. it was too late, the product was already been dispatched..

i wish if 99rpm provide me any warranty if i found the pad broken with in a week ...:-?

"one thing i have learnt.. economy products can never cope up with the performance pressure" and probably I wasted 1000bucks :A
  8. Nightfury

Nightfury Novizio

kolkata
    kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.3
    :DGREAT RELIEF

well the culprit was my mechanic. while changing my pads ..he open the whole housing(where the break shoe stays) to see how to access the caliper pin ..and the stupid guy forgot to tight them up..so the lower bolt fell off somewhere.
    hence the whole issue.. just 25rs..for a new bolt.. issue solved
    :evilsmile​
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    2 people like this.
  9. Nightfury

Nightfury Novizio

kolkata
    kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.3
    about the gemco's quality ... yes it feel spongy above 140 ... but it just feels like stock at 120 or less..:ugeek: