1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help : Steering Oil tank leak

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by nethan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. nethan

nethan Amatore

Bangalore
    Dear Members,

My 1 year old Punto 1.3 MJD steering oil tank is leaking. When I opened my bonnet (I do this regularly b4 every long trip / long idle parking ) I find steering oil leak on the tank lid as well as the bottom outlet pipe. I had this issue long back and I reported it to the KHT, Bglr FASS during my 2nd service in Nov 2014; however they topped it and told me that it is normal. Last week I opened the bonnet to find that there is a lot of dust accumulated in the steering Oil Tank lid and outlet pipe due to leakage. Though it is not leaking as if there was a hole but it still I'm worried.

Though the leakage is very minimal is this normal ?
  2. harish kotur

harish kotur Novizio

Namma Bangalore
    bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It is normal as confirmed by the FASS.
    I too had the same query and went to Aadya motors for the same.
    As our cars comes with hydrolic power steering. Very little quantity of oil sprinkes as the steering is moved left and right.
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Check if the transmission oil is below the max level, otherwise in case of overflow the outlet pipe does sprinkle out some oil.
  4. Anand

Anand Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sweating of oil on oil reservoir is common. But outlet pipe leakage to be addressed
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Clean that dust with a mild solvent and monitor the fluid levels more frequently. If Steering oil is leaking, then a power steering repair or replacement of affected (seal) is important, else in rare cases the expenses could mount further if left un-fixed.

@Viny that is not normal. Its true that oil sprinkles a bit in many cases, but that is early indication of a leakage problem which only aggravates with time. Quite often FASC or car owners keep topping up the oil until the seal leaks heavily.
  6. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    Nethan, your car is in warranty and should be fixed by FIAT free of cost ! I think you should escalate it to the dealer and FIAT also. We have another thread for KHT Fiat on this forum where you can raise it as well.

The problem by delaying is that later it may not be covered in warranty , so make it very clear to them that the problem was present within the warranty period.
  7. murugusec

murugusec Timido

CHENNAI
    check gasket in the reservoir cap. I had same problem and found gasket not present in the reservoir cap.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Excuse me @Viny mentioned your name instead of Harish kotur. Please ignore.
  9. nethan

nethan Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks folks.

Gasket is present and intact.
    Not sure of Outlet Pipe Oil leakage as it was full dust and of course oil traces was found.
    Hence as advised by "asimpleson", just cleaned it with Mild detergent. Will start monitoring from today.

Will you keep you guys posted about further developments
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    if you observe closely on the steering tank cap, at the centre there is an small nozzle,which spills out the oil when the steering is funtional and pressure built up within the tank is high,this is normal.
    zenwalker likes this.