1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help Required…T-JET 2011 Vs 90HP 2012

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by SAF_RoadWarrior, Jan 11, 2012.

1. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    As other have stated, you are comparing two very different products. You must make certain decisions of your own.
    What are the more important criteria for you and in what order?

Tjet+: Is a Big Super Quick turbo petrol. It will offer better driver pleasure (in all conditions), more space and definitely a MUCH higher snob value. Maintenance cost may be somewhat (I have no idea how much) lower being petrol, but initial cost as well as running expenses would be Higher.

Punto 90HP: Relatively speaking, it is a smaller car (hatchback), probably easier to drive in crowded traffic and to park. Much cheaper running cost (fuel cost + higher fuel efficiency) as well as initial cost which will ALWAYS compensate for the higher maintenance.

You need to decide what you prefer. We can only help you with what's on offer.
    Economics says its Punto all the way. The Tjet deal seems to offer more "Value" in terms of cost you pay for the aspects other than economics assuming you want the "snob" value of owning a sedan etc. etc.
  2. Satyajit

Satyajit

Mumbai
    It's certainly an apples to oranges comparison here.

However, my choice would be the TJet+ because it's the top end, fully loaded Sedan from the Fiat stables, and the price difference (as mentioned by you) between the hatch and the Jet is a mere 80k. The overall value proposition in this case is heavily loaded in favour of the Jet.

When the new Jet is launched, it might be priced higher with new features and enhancements. However, I don't see the existing Jets lacking in anything in particular so as to warrant a 4 month wait(speculative) and a significant price hike.

May was the last month of manufacture for the Jets. Do a thorough PDI and all should be well.
  3. SAF_RoadWarrior

SAF_RoadWarrior Amatore

USA
    USA
    Linea 1.4
    Thanks GURUS..Heart says T-JET..Pocket says 90HP...well it looks like it will be the "heart" to win the game...will keep you folks updated.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Let the heart make the call! :up

As for the oft-repeated alleged ""bad"" fuel efficiency of the Jet, TFIan Ansal11 is regularly getting 14-15kmpl in Delhi traffic in his Tjet+. Thats superb efficiency. If Ansal can achieve such figures, so can you.

The 90hp is a gem, but can't stand against the Turbo-petrol Tjet.

Looking forward to seeing another Jet on TFI.

Cheers.
  5. SAF_RoadWarrior

SAF_RoadWarrior Amatore

USA
    USA
    Linea 1.4
    Thanks gurjinder..Will ask Ansal for a KT of his driving style. :)
  6. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If I remember correctly, in addition to this thread, there have been a few other discussions about whether to buy a diesel or a petrol car.

I would like to make a few points:

Firstly, there seems to be a perception that a diesel engine would require more maintenance as compared to a petrol engine. I do not think that it is applicable any more with the new technology diesel engines which includes our 'national engine' - the 1.3 multijet. Even the reliability factor has improved manifold. In my opinion, the ultimate test of reliability would perhaps be the grueling 24 hour Le Mans race. It is interesting that during the years 2006 to 2011 (with the exception of 2009), Audi cars equipped with diesel engines have won, clocking distances in excess of 3000 miles! PLease refer this link:

Le Mans History

For 2012, the Audi car with the R18 TDI engine is the hot favorite.

Secondly, roughly half the passenger vehicles sold in Europe are diesel powered. Please refer this link:

TDI Stars in Monumental Win at 2006 Le Mans for Audi

This should say something about the reliability of these engines

Last, but not the least is the factor about efficiency. Diesel engines are inherently more efficient as compared to Petrol engines. With the absurd price differential of diesel & petrol in our country, this translates to huge differences in running costs.

This specific thread is about the T-jet vs the 90 BHP Punto - a bit of an apples vs oranges situation. Otherwise, it is my considered opinion that a diesel car would be the way to go irrespective of the amount of running the car will do.

One last point is that the Punto has been referred to as a 'small' car. I do not think that would be the correct categorisation. It is a FULL sized hatch, and cannot be compared to most of the other hatches available in the country.

Regards
    Johnny
    2 people like this.
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    @SAF_RoadWarrior

As mentioned by most, it's all about personal priorities.

However, addressing your heart vs mind query, let's check how much monetary difference Petrol vs Diesel will make:

TJet Petrol - Assuming conservative FE of 12 kmpl & Petrol cost of about Rs. 70 per ltr => Rs. 5.8 per km => your monthly Petrol bill could be Rs. 5800/- for 1000 km p.m. running

90HP Diesel - Assuming conservative FE of 15 kmpl & Diesel cost of about Rs. 47 per ltr => Rs. 3.1 per km => your monthly Petrol bill could be Rs. 3100/- for 1000 km p.m. running

So, on Petrol you would spend about Rs. 2700 p.m. more => for 4 years, it translates into about Rs. 1.30 lacs + about Rs. 80K you're paying more in Price => Rs. 2.1 Lac more

For Rs. 2.1 lac more, you get a TJet, more power, Sedan with a boot and a car which is 1 or 2 segments higher than 90HP Diesel and is absolute beast on the road. Sounds to be a good deal if you prefer Sedan over hatch.

Also, the TJet+ price of Rs. 8.7 L OTR you mentioned is mouthwatering. Are you sure about it?

The only risk is it could be an old car manufactured 8-9 months back and you have to be very very careful in checking that there are no issues and no rust etc.
  8. SAF_RoadWarrior

SAF_RoadWarrior Amatore

USA
    USA
    Linea 1.4