1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help: Outside smell enters inside the cabin

Discussion in 'Technical' started by nethan, Jun 18, 2015.

1. nethan

nethan Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi,

Recently I observed during my recent trips across the infamous Varthur Lake in Bangalore, very strong stench from the Lake enters into the cabin in spite of closed windows and Inside Air Circulation Mode ON.

Then I started observing on all similar situations when there is a bad smell / Tyre burning smell outside, stench enters into the cabin.

When I travel in heavy traffic on a busy road, then I don't smell of the exhaust. However, on the above mentioned situations like tyre burning, foul smell from contaminated water bodies, then then smell enters the cabin.

Is anyone out there facing this issue
    EvoArun likes this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I'm also facing this problem.i think its common across all cars ?
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @nethan @Ganges

When was the last time the pollen filter in your car was replaced? Generally it is to be replaced every 15k kms of one year whichever is earlier.

Maybe the the issue might be with the air ducts too which might have been clogged with some kind of buildup happened when the fresh air mode might have been used. Worth getting the air ducts cleaned too.
    Tornado likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ghodlur
    its more than 25K Kms now for my last change,this weekend i'm going to FASS,i will get that change.
  5. @Romeo

@Romeo Novizio

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Even I face this issue from day 1. I change pollen filter regularly during every 15k service.
  6. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Pollen filter is not going to filter out smell. There are 2 types of pollen filters used in Fiat cars. Paper type filters out dust to some extent (very fine dust still makes it through the filter). Wire mesh type pollen filter is just a joke - it does filter only particles more than one or two mm size! There is no way these filters can filter out smell. Very strong smell which is there in the air all around fore sure enters the cabin because cabin is not air tight space. Some amount of outside smell/dust will enter the car.
  7. @Romeo

@Romeo Novizio

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Then this should be the case with all vehicles and there is no reason to worry, right?
  8. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In case of ACC, try pressing the Re-Circulation mode On/Off twice if you sense you are getting outside odor.
    I've experienced this when I was on the highway and it did work, basically the flap is electronically controlled so my guess is that Flap wasn't fully closed.
    In case of manual climate control, try to slowly yet add a little force and move the Air Circulation know form outside to Re-Circulation mode(Please ensure your Fan is not turned on).
    If that does not work then there is a good thing for Manual Climate control owners that there is way you can adjust the tightness of the Flap by just removing the knob panel, a good electrician or a specific AC repair guy can do and it's not a rocket science job.
    However sad news for ACC owners, that's not a option. If the Flap is bothering you a lot, the flap needs to be aligned to close properly however that comes with a price, the Dash will have to be removed.:wideyed:
  9. nethan

nethan Amatore

Bangalore
    Thnx Anup

would KHT FASS can handle this ? or should I look for a FNG

BTW, can anyone guide how to locate and check the Pollen filter in Punto
  10. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What version of Punto do you own, is it Manualy HVAC or the Auto Climate Control one ?
    The Pollen Filter is located inside the Dashboard storage compartment, if you have the Blue & Me box then let the FASS handle the change if not then put your hand straight inside until you can sense a Black Flap, open it from the left side and slowly remove it and there will be a Filter cartridge, remove it and if it's clogged you can use the vacuum cleaner and blow the dust away.