1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help Needed: Punto Aug 2013 ICE Upgrade

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by pranjandas, Jan 27, 2014.

1. pranjandas

pranjandas Timido

New Delhi
    I am planning to upgrade ICE in my Punto Aug 2013 make Active 1.3 MJD. Please suggest me which Amp/Component/Coaxials to choose from. There are many models available in the market & I am totally confused. My Budget is 10K plus minus 2K. I have read good reviews about JBL X646 4 channel (800W max) amp & JBL GTO Component Speakers. Please advise on these products & also on which co-axials to buy for rear doors?

Regards,
    pranjandas
    1 person likes this.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am using JBL GTO608c components in front doors and JVC 4-way co-axials in rear doors. Although I am fully satisfied, I feel I should have bought JBL GT5 co-axials for rear doors instead of JVC. I have done door damping on all four doors using Dampmat. There is no amp and HU is FIAT factory fitted one only.

Since your budget is 10k+/- 2k, you can't do door damping.

One question: Are you willing to dump the stock stereo/HU? It does not have USB port and aftermarket HU is miles superior in terms of features.

If you do not want to change HU, then buy 6.5" JBL comps for front and 6.5" co-axials for rear doors. Changing the speakers alone works wonders. Amplifier is optional. You will be left with 3k for amplifier and wiring as comps+co-axials will cost around 7-8k. I do not recommend an amp and wiring at this price.

If you are willing to change HU, then buy a new HU (media player HU from Pioneer costs around 4500 as per Pioneer India website). And add front components and rear co-axials. You have better sound as in built amp of after market HU is better at 50x4 watts. Plus you will have a USB port and AUX port.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. pranjandas

pranjandas Timido

New Delhi
    Many thanks PaddleShifter, I don't prefer to change the HU because of warranty issues, I was not sure whether Amp would add value to SQ or not. THE budget is not strictly 10K I can enhance my spending if it is worth like door damping seems to be a must to get the real sound. Okay, then let me start with speakers change first. JBL Compo + JBL Coax..If required, may change amp & yes, please suggest me where to go for door damp in Delhi. I reside in East Delhi. Please dont suggest me a faraway place due to loads of office work these days. Regards,
    Prashant.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  4. nishkamm

nishkamm Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Pranjandas,

I too have Punto 90 hp from Aug 2103 and have recently upgraded the speakers in it. Go for Components in the front and 3/4 way co-axial at the rear. I'm not sure if 6.5 co axial can fit in the rear as the factory fitted rear speaker is around 5.25 inches. Preferably go for JBL GTO series . If you are planning for an amplifier ,then remember that the factory HU dispenses high voltage meant for the speakers directly and usually the amps take in a very low voltage. If you go for a JBL amp then you would also have to connect a high to low voltage converter. I recently got an amp "JBL GTO 804EZ" Four-channel amplifier with 940-watt max power output and have a sub woofer(JBL 1100) from my old car. When i went for the installation i was told it would cost me around 5.5K along with the converter, splitter and wiring kit plus labor charge. I thought its a bit on the higher side and waiting to find a better place. Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Nish.
  5. pranjandas

pranjandas Timido

New Delhi
    Thanks Nishkamm, for an insightful advice. I think this way: Lets first change speakers only (JBL GTO Compo & JBL Co-ax). Check the SQ. If it satisfies me, I wont spend a penny more. If not will think about adding an amp. I don't plan to tinker with the HU, unless there are no warranty issues. Please suggest specific models of JBL GTO series speakes which are of nice quality as well as fits in Punto.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Prashant, I recommend that buy JBL comps with 4 ohm.

There are 2 types of speakers. One with 4 ohm and other with 2 ohm.

I have JBL GTO608c in front doors (2010 series fitted in 2011). They are 2 ohm speakers. Rear 6.5 inch coaxials are 4 ohm. At that time, I didn't know about this resistance rating of the speaker coil. Otherwise would have bought both front as well as rear with 4 ohm only.

The 2ohm front and 4 ohm at back combo is working fine since 3 years but why do modifications? Even the stock speakers are all 4 ohm.

I am not an engineer and my limited study of physics in medical stream taught me that for passing same current across different resistance circuits connected in parallel, the resistance of the circuit should be same!! Please correct if I am wrong.
  7. 5hadow

5hadow Timido

New Delhi
    Hi Prashant,

My 2 cents:

1. Changing/Adding any ICE component will not void warranty, IF the installer does not cut/splice any wires. Any good one can do it.
    2. Changing speakers should be your first step. If you drive alone most of the time, you can avoid changing the rear speakers and save some money.
    3. It has to be components in the front. JBL is not the only brand. Try listening to a few brands in your budget before picking one. What sounds good to you might not sound good to me and vice-versa.
    4. I am sorry but I can not recommend any installers in east delhi as I am in south delhi.

Good Luck.
  8. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    Take some time off, drive down to Driven , East of Kailash. Driven has been recommended by many on this and other fiat forums. Check their FB profile, you can see pics of Punto getting iced and also Nitin Kapoor's Jet.
  9. pranjandas

pranjandas Timido

New Delhi
    Thank you so much guys. Got lots of ideas & insights, that is the beauty of being in this group. Let me get some demo of speakers to know the SQ, shall update this forum about my choice(s). Thanks again!