1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help needed,Clutch completely pressed to the floor, came back after lifting with hand

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sreedhara_bj, Sep 9, 2013.

1. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi All,

To day I came back home after driving 40 kms, and reversing my car to the garage( slightly upwards towards the garage). Car got stuck in between, not able to slot to any gear, and clutch was stuck to the floor. Tried to move, push and start, nothing worked. Then I lifted the clutch with hand, it started working :eek: Tried many times afterwords, it is perfectly fine . Mine is 1.4 Punto, 3 1/2 years, 24k done, 1st batch model.

a) Is it a case of CSC problem? I never faced any problem till now while slotting into any gear. Only thing is I skipped 4th scheduled service (completion of 3rd year) since my car ran only 6k kms by then, after 3rd service, and I am planing to get it done after this trip.
    b) I plan to travel 2 days later to my native, 1000 kms round trip. Should I visit SC now? Will they be able to identify the issue since clutch came back to working condition?
    c) Is it one off case for which no need to worry ( I am happy if it is :D )?

Moreover, please let me know is it ok to travel now (I am traveling on 11th). Waiting for experts advice.

Thx,
    Sree
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Please do not plan any long trip now.

Visit your nearest FASS immediately. This is a CSC issue ,so get it replaced in warranty. I had plastic csc in my 2009 Linea which was replaced with metal after a failure. Kindly check what is fitted on your car and get it replaced in any case.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  3. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi FastLove, thanks for the reply, but why it came back to normal after I lifted it with hand? Is it by chance?
  4. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Vahanpujari had experienced this same thing on his Linea. I am not sure what was the exact thing causing it to come back to position. But , one thing is sure, I would not recommend you to take a long journey with that situation. Pls visit FASS.

5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Head to FASS today. If the CSC arm is plastic, which it will be, get it changed with a metal one even if FASS says the plastic arm is perfect / fine anything. It has to be covered under warranty. If they find the cylinder is fine and only the plastic part needs to be swapped with the metal one, that can work out fine as well.

Don't take the car out like this on a long trip. The CSC can well fail on the way.
  6. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks all, yeah I will check with Vecto Motors tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help.

By the way if it needs replacement, can it be done in 3-4 hours if slots available?
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Warranty may be declined.

But in any case, don't plan for any long drive, get it checked/replaced ASAP.
  8. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    I had changed my CSC ( only the piston rod ) about 2 weeks ago from KHT without a prior appointment. It took less than 30 mins.
  9. I need a suggestion, my car had a typical problem with the clutch, ie when driven for long duration day 500 kms min the clutch used to get so hard, the car was given to kht where they replaced the master cylinder under warranty and I thought everything was fine..the odo was 22k approx then.
    But thw problem again resurfaced back in 28k kms, the clutch remains hard as if I am driving an amby, then suddenly it reverta back to normal butter smooth condition.
    Now I am really irritated with the problem as it is hard to reproduce the scanrio in FASS but keeps trobling me at different times..
    I dont think there is any problem with the pressure plates and clutch assembly but the other small parts like master cylinder etc are faulty.
    I was thinking of changing the clutch kit and get rid of the problem once for all.
    But now the biggest problem what all parts need to be changed?and an idea about the cost would be appreciated.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
  10. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    If parts available, it can be done in couple of hours.

Also, remember the plastic CSC was kind of recall. So, ensure that they do it as part of the replacement they did for all earlier batch of cars.