1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help need to resolve High frequency distortion with JBL s649 Components

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by nmurthyks, Oct 25, 2013.

1. nmurthyks

nmurthyks

Hyderabad
    Hi All,

I got the JBL GTO s649 components installed in the front doors of my Punto Emotion.
    I am turning off the rear speakers by fader setting (to -9) so only fronts will be audible.
    However I am observing the clarity of the music is not good (it is still audible normally but not expected from a component speakers).
    There is a distortion present in the high frequencies (treble) part. This can be observed in normal volume levels as well (above 6)
    The overall clarity is lesser than the stock speakers though the details in the music are good when compared to the stock speakers.

The details of the installation:
    1. No damping (other than what ever came with the car) done
    2. The installer has attached the tweeters to the tweeter slot in the doors by 2-sided tapes. It was not loose but holding good. But I have a small doubt on this as a root cause.

I request the expert members help me in resolving this. Please share some pointers on what could be the reason or what to suspect.
    Could it be the damping issue? or tweeter positioning? or something else?.. :confused:
    Please help me...

Thanks in advance,
    Murthy
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Is this the OEM stock HU? Also distortion is normally perceived in mids or lows due to low powered speakers or wrong crossover settings in amp and/or HU. Please check the passive crossover and configure settings in HU for optimal frequency settings.

I guess there is no amp installation possible in your case, please suggest if otherwise.
  3. nmurthyks

nmurthyks

Hyderabad
    Yes it is OEM stock HU. And there is no amp installation.
    The components have crossovers installed. I did not see any settings in the crossover (may be they are passive).
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Passive Crossovers indeed.

Yes, they are passive crossovers which is the common norm as one is supposed to adjust crossover in amp or at HU level.

That leaves the doubt on speakers (which considering your prior description are most improbable to be problematic) and therefore the probability of setting treble level at HU is your best bet. Keep fiddling at above normal listening volume and find the acceptable treble levels. Do update here if you find the culprit or fix it somehow at HU levels.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  5. greatmana2000

greatmana2000 Novizio

chennai
    what volume is the noise audible ? is it at high volume or the hiss comes at low volume ? the stock HU does not put out much power and the components need a very good amp to drive them . Get a 4 channel amp or a 2 channel amp . That is the only solution .
  6. nmurthyks

nmurthyks

Hyderabad
    the noise is audible even in lower volumes (6 to 10).
    Is there any reputed ICE installer in Hyderabad so I can get it checked there probably?
  7. greatmana2000

greatmana2000 Novizio

chennai
    the gto series are normally 2 ohm components .. the hu will support only 4 ohm components
    1 person likes this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The amp must be able to drive the components at 2ohm and the power delivery will be near doubled at that impedance AFAIK. Therefore max RMS ratings for both amp and speaker must be matched wherein speakers must have same or higher slight higher rating than amp power delivery per channel.

Sent from my MMA50 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  9. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    May be very basic.. did you try fine tuning the equalizer settings? or check with different preset modes?

Not damping the door shouldn't give you such issues. A suggestion would be to get the speakers checked outside the car, like connect it to another stereo system. If it sounds good, then you can ask the installer for a different rating as suggested by others.
  10. nmurthyks

nmurthyks

Hyderabad
    I went to the installer again and told him about the issue. Then they checked it again and found that the speaker at the front left door is causing this problem. They have fixed it firmly and the sound is somewhat clear after this. However I did not like the highs as they seem to be little harsh to my ears. I have asked the shop owner to replace the speakers with Infinity and he accepted with extra cost. Need to tell him the model number.

However I have read in some reviews that the Infinity speakers are also harsh on highs. So dropped that idea.
    Meanwhile I have set the treble to -2 and bass to 0. This seem to be bit ok for me. I am liking it now.

However I have contacted an installer (Shakir at Khairatabad ) for damping the front doors as I am hearing rattle sound from doors when increasing the volume (particularly for bass notes).

Need one more help from you.

Should I go for better comps now (I can try exchanging it at the same shop) or go for an amp in near future?