1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help me to decide between Punto 1.2 petrol and Swift lxi

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Aarav Thakur, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Brio isn't a premium hatch. Punto is a premium hatch.

Looks, built, ride & handling, features - Punto
    Psychological peace (There are horror stories of Maruti ASS also), additional 1-2 kmpl - Swift

Those who says 15-17 kmpl have nothing else to say about their swift. Either they are lying or they don't know that they are driving a diesel car. If you get 13-14 kmpl, you should feel lucky.

Your monthly mileage of 1000 kms qualify for diesel. Anyways once you buy a car you tend to drive more.
    1 person likes this.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    But then I would like to point out that a Swift has shorter service interval as compared to longer service interval of Punto i.e. Once a year or 15000km. Air filter, fuel filter and oil filter are thus changed only once a year in punto.
    1 person likes this.
  3. 1)Go for Punto 1.2 Active,you will get 10-13 in city,on highways nothing less than 14...This offers you everything,right from looks,handling to safety(even though it is a base variant).

2)Swift Petrol is not bad,mileage will be almost similar..I Dont like its frog like looks much..Petrol cars dont enjoy that good resale...

3)As I think you are not taking any loan to buy your car you can take a look at the used car segment,and for less than 5Lacs,you will get Punto 1.3 MJD,emotion 2010 model..According to your usage this is the best option,along with good savings..

Choose wisely... :drinks
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012
  4. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    You're having the right 'choice dilemma' - Swift vs GP!

I have a Swift and have also driven GP many times, in addition to owning a linea. So let me address all your points:

Looks - Like you said both look good :)

Mileage - Swift will always give much more because of two reasons 1) more fuel efficient engine like most Japanese cars and (2) GP is heavier than a Swift. So the GP will give even lesser mileage on the hiils because of the weight. But being heavier it is more planted and solid thus making it safer especially if you drive in the hills.

Comfort - Swift has a more upright sitting position whereas GP has a low slung body. The best thing to do is to sit in both for 5 minutes and decide because it also depends on which car you drive now. GP is comfortable but the Swift is more comfortable to drive with a very light steering which tightens up when speed increases. Both drive quite well but Swift is more nimble and easier to drive.

Ride Quality - Here the GP is way better than the Swift because of it's suspension set up and road dynamics. Pot holes and craters may not even be felt in a GP. Swift not only makes you feel all the pot holes but like all Marutis will start rattling in 6 months time something that may not happen with a GP. I do rattle-fixing for the Swift through a local mechanic almost every month or sometimes just live with it like most Maruti owners do.

After Sales Service - Maruti is 1000 times better! Although they claim that Fiat cars are attended to by exclusive Fiat technicians that is not fully true. Obviously because if you own a service centre you would like all the staff to be multi-skilled and multi-tasking. But Fiat owners bear the brunt of this.

Resale Value - A friend of mine has a 2010 Swift for which he is getting a price which is more than cost price when he bought it...need I say more!. GP does have a select group of buyers who wait for GP to be sold but the market prices are much lower than Swift. On the other hand a Fiat car is more solid and has a longer running life than Maruti cars

Moneywise Swift makes (much)more sense but if your heart is on a GP you should buy Fiat, like most of us did!
    3 people like this.
  5. shams

shams Esperto

On a lighter note Punto means a point :p !!
    On a serious note, the statement quoted above is baseless!!
    5 people like this.
  6. sungoa2010

Swift 1.2 lives in the shadow of the fame of swift DDIS which it self lives with a borrowed technology from Fiat.
    Go for Punto 1.2 as we should protect our god given life. :)
  7. kaps

kaps Superiore

I agree. I think deriding choice of people who already bought this car and are happy with it is pointless. This kind of statement is not expected from a senior mod.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. Thanks everyone for clearing my doubts. But those who are recommending Brio, I am not at all interested in that car because of its tiny little looks, I use to call it baby of good cars. There might be many fans of Brio but personally I really don't like it.

Regarding my running per month, its the maximum running I mentioned, sometime I might drive for only 500km a month. Diesel is not an option for me due to its extra cost and my low running. As some of the punto owners mentioned that I will get a mileage of 10-13kmpl then I am planning to stick with swift because I might be able to take out between 13-15kmpl in a city like chandigarh.

But, if in any case I plan to delay my purchase and add some more funds then I will directly go for punto diesel. I am impressed by its safety and pleasure of driving (mentioned by many). I saw some pics on a forum in which punto got totaled in an accident but the person came out with minor scratches.

I will keep you guys updated on my purchase and will share my experience with you all. I might go for a TD of punto today, just for fun :)
    1 person likes this.
  9. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Punto is a better option.For a little price more you get much more safety and better looks.
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    We need to accept that infront of 1.2 K series engine 1.2 FIRE engine is not good.

FIAT should launch TwinAir Engine in India asap. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012