1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help me to decide between Punto 1.2 petrol and Swift lxi

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Aarav Thakur, Sep 23, 2012.

1. I am planning to book a car next month but I am confused between swift lxi and punto 1.2 petrol. I took a test drive of swift and loved it but now I researched online just like that and found that people booked punto over swift many times and Fiat's build quality is much better in terms of safety and ride quality.

Here are my preferences-

Looks - Required (I like both punto and swift)
    Mileage- Required because I am self employed
    Comfort - Doesn't matter
    Ride Quality - Matters
    After sales service - Matters but not much
    Resale value - Doesn't matter

I can not extend my budget to buy a diesel, also my running will be around 800-1000 km per month including some hilly drives every month. The only thing which is pulling me back from punto is its mileage, everyone is buying diesel versions and petrol owners are claiming only 11-13kmpl whereas swift owners are claiming around 15-17kmpl. Mileage matters a lot to me and I am worried due to this. I don't want to waste my hard earned money.

Any proud owners of punto petrol 2012 versions, please help me out to solve this confusion. :confused:
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Aarav to be very frank in day to day life Punto 1.2 is not as fuel effiecient as Swift. But looking at your requirements and usage of car in hilly area Punto is winner here due to low end power of 1.2 FIRE engine.

Looking at requirements I will suggest you to have a look of Honda Brio. Fits in your budget, most powerful and fun to drive in its segment and Honda priced it correctly too.

in this situation I would have selected Honda Brio instead of Punto or Swift.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    If your primary usage is going to be on hills, its Punto 1.2 all the way. If you are worried too much about the FE, you can also think about used Punto MJD.

For city usage, I prefer to use Honda Jazz over the Swift. But, both Jazz and Brio will be duds on the hills. 1.2 Fire will be a delight to drive.
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Ramjn it will be delight to drive but it wont be fuel efficient.

The option you suggested to look for used MJD and if he is interested to buy used car then no other car than Punto MJD fits to his requirements.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I would recommend Punto 1.3 diesel Aarav. Your running is 800-1000km. Diesel car costs approx Rs2-3 per Km whereas a petrol car costs somewhere between Rs 5-8 per Km.

Also, even Maruti is using FIAT diesel engines in all of its diesel cars like Swift, dzire, ritz, sx4. TATA and Premiere are also using Fiat engines.

And ofcourse, FIAT cars are much much safer than Maruti cars.

Regarding service, Joshi Autozone is a competent service center.

Around 11-15 FIAT owners are meeting in Chandigarh at Stop N stare on 29th September 2012. You are welcome to meet us and have some first hand info on our user experience.

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/teamfiat-meet/7282-tfi-chandigarh-meet-29-september-2012-page-7-a-7.html

EDIT- ok i see that you only want a petrol car. Well I do not think you will get more than 14kmpl in Swift petrol in our Chandigarh traffic. What I have experienced is that Swift and Polo owners have this habit of quoting the mileage of the highway rather than mixed or city conditions. The mileage of Punto you are quoting is more of City conditions.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    2 people like this.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    punto is what even i would recommend as your running per month is relatively reaching into the diesel territory.
    I've personally not driven the swift for more than 3 kms so if i say anything for/against it ,it will be a shot in the dark

A.S.S
    You need it only when things go wrong. AFAIK in my 3 yrs of ownership experience i've not visited A.S.S for any major issues.
    I would never believe that there is a problem in sourcing parts because "one needs to understand many many things before simply saying FIAT parts are always unavailable". that is for another topic altogether.

Choose the punto and you will be rewarded till you want to keep it, choose the swift and you will be rewarded till it wants to be kept.
  7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I agree with Kedar, take a very serious look at the Honda Brio. The Punto 1.2 is a pointless car.
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Aarav listed looks as "required" at the top of his preferences. Honda Brio is nothing close to the cars in discussion in terms of looks. I know looks are subjective but more than 50-60% population will surely agree that Brio looks quirky and odd especially from the rear.

Punto 1.2 Active Rs4.90 Lacs
    Swift LXi Rs4.50 Lacs

The car he wants should thus offer Looks+Mileage+Ride quality within 5 Lacs ex-showroom.
    2 people like this.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I'm reminded of the famous VIP Frenchie ad tagline - "What's he got that I ain't got"!

What has the Brio 1.2 got that the Punto 1.2 hasn't. Atleast the Punto doesn't look like a toad squashed under a lorry. Yes it might not be as fuel efficient as the Brio, but atleast it's a proper hatch.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  10. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I would rather say,Punto maintenance cost is on higher side as compare to swift's maintenance cost. E.g Brake pads,Air filter and the likes.