1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help me to buy Punto MJ Active

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by nitinjd, Feb 5, 2011.

1. nitinjd

nitinjd Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i have a maruti 800 and before planning to buy Punto Multijet 1.3 active, i have few things to discuss/share/queries to get clear. Hope i will get good suggestion.

let me share my background

Since from last month i started looking for hatchback on internet. I never did any test drive nor i visted any showroom. later i saw punto in my office premises displayed by dealer KHT, Bangalore. At first sight my heart & mind says punto the best. SInce from that day i am not able to compare any car.

Usually whenever i dicussion about diesal car, i hear couple of things : diesal engine makes too noise, high maintainance, no comfort, servicing problem, petrol engine are the best etc. Since i have no knowladge of about engine i cannot able to answer or cannot able argue. Please help?

Since i am going to keep car at least for 10 year or more, so from maintainance(service/spare part changes on wear & tear etc) point of view, how much costlier maintainance will be for a longer period of time as compare to pertol engine lets say maruti LXI(petrol version)? If you give some realastic figure will help me a lot. (ignore diesal/petrol fuel cost/consumption comparision). usually i will drive mimimum 15000 KM per year.

What are the things i have to keep in my mind for diesal engine. example service after 5k, filter change, oil change etc?

The GP MJ active model, the wheel size is 165/80 R14.Emotion is 195/60 R15.
    Is it possible to change wheel of active modal and put emotion model wheel (195/60 R15) with out alloy wheel? if yes than it will affect milage? what will be impact on engine?, my friend suggest me not to change any wheel since its well selected & tested at the time of manufacting, we should not disturb such changes, it may impact on other things?

According to me the changing wheel becz of security reason since active model does not have ABS, the bigger wheel might help upto certain level,is this correct?

The Rear Seats Split Folding - 2nd row is possible in active model? if no than any suggestion how to get it done?

lastly, I have notice that punto are very less seen on road. Any reason?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Hi,
    The diesel engines you are talking about are the old generation ones. Now a days the common rail engines are quieter compared to their old counter parts. But yes they wont be as quiet as a petrol engine. Its new technology & the MJD an award winning unit is built for reliability, no vibrations (better comfort) and maintenance/servicing no issues provided you strictly follow the recommended servicing schedules and operating instructions.

IMO the MJD is audible inside the cabin only after 2500-3000 rpm (correct me if I'm wrong) which will be achieved on the highway.. the city ride will be quiet.

this should be addressed by a MJD Active owner.
    But its been observed that the punto has been built to last.. maintenance at an highly affordable price. (competitively)
    Honestly the punto is leagues ahead of the Maruti..

The first visit is at 3,000 kms just a general check-up to see if the car is behaving as it should under normal operation.
    the actual servicing is at 15,000 kms or 1 yr. the service centre will keep reminding you about the dates.. and they will do everything.
    The punto will give you no reason to get your hands dirty other than to fill the washer fluid.

You can change the size as long as you stick to the 195/60 R15 size (with or without alloy rims) there will be no issues with warranty as FIAT itself offer that size on other variants which have exactly same wheelbase/body/track dimension compared to the active. But dont use any other size, that might void the warranty and the performance.

Yes you are right, the 195/60 R15 profile will give you better grip & better braking efficiency.
    There will be a fractional drop on FE (its a diesel!!) which can be ignored.
    A little bit heavier E+ MJD's report avg of + 22 km/l. (magic figure) Its the same engine in the other FGT - MJD variants like emotion/emotion pack on more or less the same tyre size which has no effect on the working of the engine or mileage.

read: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=214

Using alloys on tubeless tyres will keep the tyres cooler on the highway and resist 'rim bend' punctures compared to pressed steel rims.

You might have to talk to your local service centre if they can help you with that. Some minor changes to the body shell from the inside of the cabin might need to be carried out like hinges etc..

Are you sure?? here in Bombay its a different story ::V

Go take a test drive, and fall in love! :mrgreen:

Chaos.
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    No other hatchback can't beat Punto in the field of Ride & Handling,Suspension,Safety,Build quality,features.

I have used GP Active Diesel for 37000 KM. First Diesel car in my life. Go ahead.Buy GP fearlessly.

You will never disappointed. Multijet is the worldclass famous award winner engine in 2005.

In 1000 to 1400 c.c. category no other diesel engine can produce such massive power & torque in the world only from such a small engine I repeat in the World.

Only 1248 C.C. :- 76HP & 197 NM only at 1750 RPM. Max.torque comes such at a low RPM means less gear changes

Compare other Diesel engines with C.C,Power & Torque figures. You will know it.

After owing MJD you will foraget all these bogus cars FORD/POLO/Vista(TDi) etc.

Petrol Punto has less fuel efficiency.& finally Diesel engine gives more torque so less driving fatigue.

So enjoy the worldclass technology Man !
    Afterall FIAT is the " Baap of Baaps" (Grandappa) of Diesel Technology in the World.
  4. nitinjd

nitinjd Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Chaos,Moderatore & bhai,Amatore. This is getting me more closer towards Punto.
  5. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    So Nitin where are your steps heading for which Showroom ,
  6. Please do not buy FIAT PUNTO DIESEL VERSION, because PUNTO Diesel mileage is very worst, I am getting only 14 km on highway..
  7. What if I say that it's the most fuel efficient diesel hatch? :wink:

[attachment=0:4rydxsn3]DSC09278-2.JPG[/attachment:4rydxsn3]

Shocked eh? Then, here you go - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term ... ost1877074

DSC09278-2.JPG
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Ravi,How much km you used your MJD ?

After 5000 KM MJD shows perfect milege. You are getting 14 KM/Lt.

How do you calculate this ? If you want to check real milege of MJD,then

Reset the odometer
    Run the car for min.80 KM without stop & with speed of range of 80-90 Km/Hr with/wo AC & then check the milege.

I am sure on 4 way,MJD gives from 23-27 KM/Lt. My highest figure is 32.1 KM/Lt.
  9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Ravi please do the test as said by Bhai and come back with the correct figure
  10. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Who are these people who say things like this in 2011?! Seriously, you need to talk to more knowledgeable people then this outdated relics.

Maruti service costs are the cheapest. If that is the benchmark, NO car in India will be cheaper. BUT, do note that Fiat servicing happens every 15,000 kms against 10,000 kms for most other cars Maruti included. Looking at your usage, you will visit a Fiat ASS once a year.

Diesel spares are costlier then petrol spares. This again is across the industry. A Swift DDis fuel filter will be costlier then a Swift petrol one. Ditto for Fiat.

I can give you two reasons.

1) To an extent Fiat is responsible for low sales.

2) Herd Mentality.

Just follow manufacturer recommended service intervals.