1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help me! Head Unit swap for Punto Dynamic

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by hashjagz, Feb 5, 2014.

1. markrting_rohitm

markrting_rohitm Amatore

PHAGWARA
    Sonilex from snap deal. They offer two remote controls . one can be mounted on steering wheel

I travel in many cars. but I cruise in my PUNTO
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have a FM modulator since 2010 and recently I thought of buying another as I needed one with a flexible base as the location of the charging socket causes hindrance in gear shifts and hand braking when I use the old one.

I bought this Solinex modulator and the voice clarity was poor with this particular model with lots of distortion. The shopkeeper gave me another one to try and the same results. He refunded my money as he saw that I was already having a FM modulator and the purpose was unsolved with such distorted voice.

Just wanted to share my experience with solinex modulators.
    1 person likes this.
  3. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @hashjagz, have you upgraded the HU already? Please update.

Both are great HUs for this price.
    - X50BT does not have a detachable face plate and thus a bit unsuitable for those who park their cars outside.
    - Both have only 2 RCA pre-outs which is good but 3 RCA preouts are always best.
    - Otherwise the list of features is similar for both the models. They even match JVC KD-R80BT (twice the price of X50BT) in terms of most of the features.

I thought only I had this crazy one of its kind idea of changing the factory fitted HU but retaining the factory fitted speakers. Normally people change the speakers more often as compared to head unit.

I am planning to change the HU because of the lack of USB/AUX/ and more importantly I need a bluetooth system for calling. Getting a handsfree bluetooth kit for mounting on the sun visor is an option but for just Rs2.5k, I can have a much better aftermarket HU (JVC X50BT) with USB/AUX.

But I won't be changing the speakers initially as I am not having a budget for door damping and thus will get the door panels opened up only when I can do speakers+damping and everything.

Need not worry now. All 3 existing variants of Punto (Active, dynamic and Emotion) have silver fascia.

Sir, hamare saath bhi share kar lo please (please share with us as well). :) I am looking at these two HUs (budget is a max of 7-8k but the lesser I spend the better). Please share your opinion on these two HUs, if any.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  4. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

BANGALORE
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Hash,

I have fitted JVC KD-746BT HU in my Punto. Believe me it is damn good HU with the quality of output it produces. The Bluetooth feature works great with it. The mic response also very good. You can find the speaker details here,
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/car-enter...on-punto-emotion-2011-model-3.html#post184715

Have a nice set up and enjoy Punto even more.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    afzalpa likes this.
  5. hashjagz

hashjagz Timido

Chennai
    @SOOZ_P @PaddleShifter and others

After lots of driving & in car exp, I completely agree that I'm frustrated with my stock speaker setup. I really want to change
    1) Headunit
    2) front comps
    3) rear coax

But definitely not the sub as of now.
    Changing the HU will make my central console looks bad? I saw in one of the older cars Active variant where the fascia plate integrated look very awful. So I'm scared to change the HU

Guys, can u please share your car's modded HU.
    As my close buddy also suggested to go for 1-din pioneer set iso of JVC. Please tell me ur personal comparison if u have any?

Also pls tell me which speakers r gud? Damping really reqd for punto?

Sorry guys so many questions running thru my mind. This is the best place to ask.

As of now initially I planned for sun film & 3m Wax treatment. Any suggestions on this is also welcomed.

Thank you buddies.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Buy any 3RCA Headunit to begin with. I have a mid-budget Sony HU with DM+ feature (a feature that is absolutely delightful to have).

Go for 6.5" Blaupunkt CX170 (with adapters) + two channel amplifier of your choice for front speakers. For rear speakers Pioneer G624C, cheap and good lower powered components connected to headunit rear channel directly (they are purpose built to be driven by HU power and don't need amp). Later you can connect to the sub pre-out from HU and place an active subwoofer below front seat as needed. That way you dont need to tamper with parcel tray for oval co-axials or compromise further on boot space for subwoofer+enclosure.

These above mentioned Front and Rear components are installed in Linea and the result is outstanding for the total money spent. Ofcourse, there is a powerful Pioneer 4-channel amp and trapezoidal enclosure box+Pioneer Woofer etc.

Blaupunkt - CX 170 - 6.6 Inch Component Speaker [Pair Of Speakers] - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com

Pioneer - TS G624C 16cm Component System Package - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com

Archived CDX-GT490U : Xplod™ CD Receiver : In-Car Entertainment : Sony Thailand (no BT support and discontinued, you need to search for current models.)

Dampening is always recommended but can be done later if and as one needs it.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. hashjagz

hashjagz Timido

Chennai
    @asimpleson,

Do we really need that 2-ch amp to power the front comps?

I initially thought I could have something like only front 2 comps, real 2 co-ax's WITHOUT amp & sub.
    Thank you so much for suggesting the speakers. Esp the links :clap , Jus' saw yesterday Snapdeal does have contracts to install the speakers/stereos! Tats a great move!!

Also, in general I want to know the RCA classification, as per my understanding, 3 RCA has 3 cable links for front , Rear & Subwoofer; similarly 2 RCA has 2 for front & rear.. Am I right? Give me your explanation on that! Also some low-end players does have as 1 RCA. What it takes?

If my understanding is true, and if no sub is needed one can go for 2 RCA also right?

Since I'm researching a lot, bcoz I dont want to spend much bcoz I don't have the budget :dance after taking many loans.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes you are correct about 3RCA has 3 cable links. And are good only if you plan for a subwoofer later.

If budget is a contraint, best to go for 2 RCA (atleast) since you are not going for amp and sub. As regards front components, amps do make a difference. If you are going for non-amp setup, then go for Pioneer G624C in front (powered from HU) and the same at back. Or go for two co-axial speakers on rear doors for better imaging. I am generally not in favour of cutting parcel trays, best to utilize door speaker arangement.

Generally proper components (like the Blaupunkt ones) need about 45-60w (max 75w) RMS power, HUs provide about 15w-22w RMS in real. Pioneer G624C are not 'true components' with a dedicated crossover, but still provide a good compromise at the given cost allowing placement of tweeters in door or in front glass quarter-panel.

Technically, with 2RCA too subwoofer addition is very much possible (not compromised) since most HUs provide LPF and HPF filter settings built-in.
  9. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @hashjags- I have changed the HU initially and using a Pioneer HU with factory fitted speakers only. I am satisfied with the sound output. EQ Tuning really helps making out the best from the speakers. I am not changing the speakers sometime soon as I do not have budget for damping etc. so will hold on to the stock speakers. Anyways changing the HU is a 10 minutes procedure so why not change the HU alone first. Thats what my thought process was.

I am posting pics of the center console at the end. First let me answer all queries raised by you.

01. HU brand- Pioneer vs JVC
    I would suggest to go with whatever brand and model you feel good about. I am a Pioneer guy although I must say that JVC HUs are just as good. Reason for sticking to Pioneer was because Pioneer accessories are easily available with better service support in my city as compared to non existent support for JVC products and lack of accessories. I have added a steering mounted remote as well for Pioneer. For JVC, my only option was to go for the universal steering remote.

02. Speakers
    Everyone has a different listening taste. I find JBL speakers good for my taste. I am using JBL GTO 608c in our old car since 2011. If ever I change speakers in my Punto Active, it will be JBL GTO 609c for me. For rear, I will prefer 6.5" coaxials from JBL in rear doors.

03. Damping
    Damping is a great add on for all cars. Damping improves the sound quality by reducing the vibrations of the sheet metal. But, hold on to it for later.

04. RCA pre-outs
    RCA pre-outs serve the purpose only if a minimum of 2 RCA preouts are present. 1 RCA pre-out is a useless thing so never count it as a feature.
    3 RCA pre-outs are a feature to have only if you intend to add 2 amplifiers (one 4 channel amp for speakers + 1 mono channel amp for sub woofer). You may want to have this type of set up in future so 3 RCA is a type of future proofing if you are not looking forward to add the sub now.

BUT

2 RCA set up is also good and you can add subwoofer even in the presence of 2 RCA preouts. 3 RCA simply helps us add 2 amplifiers.

My advise:
    - I would recommend that you change the HU initially and use stock speakers for a few weeks and then decide.
    - Buy a HU with 2 RCA or 3 RCA. 2 RCA will also serve you great if you are sure you wont add 2 amplifiers to your car. Adding 2 amplifiers mean more load on battery and more wiring so not many prefer to do it.

Photos of modified center console. Dont fear the looks. Once you change the HU, you'll be glad you did. Keep the stock HU safe at the house.

Side by side comparison: old vs new

Stock center console.jpg Modified 1.jpg

Night time looks. Most mid budget systems have customizable colours.

Modified 2.jpg

Steering mounted audio controls from Pioneer. Universal audio controls are also available and cost half the price (around Rs500-600) of this Pioneer one that costs around Rs1300.

Steering controls.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  10. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    My Tjets console pics with the current Pioneer HU and my previous JVC HU now doing duty in friend's Punto. Take your pick which suits well.

media-20140515.jpg

ype3y4ur.jpg