1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help me! Head Unit swap for Punto Dynamic

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by hashjagz, Feb 5, 2014.

1. hashjagz

hashjagz Timido

Chennai
    Hello TFIans,

I'm happy to share that, I'm about to take a delivery of the Grande Punto Dynamic 1.3MJD. After a lots of discussions, reading reviews and so-on, I have selected Punto. And I'm very very happy about it.

Initially booked a Emotion variant but then stepped down to Dynamic because of budget constraint.

I have one major setback in it. It doesn't have USB, AUX & Bluetooth which I really require. So I saw some very good 1 Din HU which satisfies me like JVC KD-X50BT or JVC KD-746BT.. Any good suggestion will be very much appreciated. :-D

Initially I don't want to upgrade my stock speakers. I'm satisfied on the basic speaker quality and I don't want to disturb it. Is there any way that I can be guided for DIY for changing the HU alone?

Since this is only HU upgrade, I thought of DIY instead of visiting the aftermarket shop. Definitely for speaker upgrades in future (if any), I will be visiting the shop/dealer. But I'm so curious to know on how to do it myself.

I see many fellow Punto owners must have upgraded their Head Units. So please give me your suggestions.

Also the fascia plate one from 99rpm, I see this one for Active Variant (I think both Active and Dynamic has same face plate). Any one has idea on this? Please kindly help.

Stereo Cover on dashboard for Fiat Grande Punto

If any one has a successful HU upgrade, I'll be very very grateful.

Give me your suggestions..

Thanks a lot in advance friends...
  2. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    You have a PM on the HU.

On the fascia plate, Active version comes in black color. Is that the same color in the Dynamic? I am not sure. If Dynamic has silver finish on the dash like Emotion, then you will have to take the Active one and paint it to integrate well.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dynamic (old Emotion) has silver finish, so make sure you buy proper facia.

So many members has changed the HU, not sure if someone has changed himself. Better to get it done from some ICE shop, if you have not done earlier.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Hashjagz,

The Dynamic version for 2012 version is the Earlier Emotion version of the Punto, which means HU with only CD/Radio player and the center console is silver.

I strongly suggest you to maintain the Stock HU atleast untill the warrenty period, you can add a AUX feature to the HeadUnit, there's a post in the forum on adding Aux Feature to the standard HU.

Yes the quality of the stock speakers are Above Average, at low volume it sounds nice, but as your volume goes up, it tends to irritate, if you want to seriously upgrade your speakers, try changing the rear first with a pair of Co-Axil speakers.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @anup, AUX can be added to only those HU that have Blaupunkt written over it. This means in cars manufactured before June 2010.

Only option left with hashjagz is to change the HU to something that offers AUX/USB/Bluetooth.
    1 person likes this.
  6. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    As suggested, please refrain from changing the HU until the warranty period. For speaker updated check for updating to PHD speakers in the front with components and retain the stock at the rear. You can do this with a very small amp that would not be noticed at all.
    1 person likes this.
  7. hashjagz

hashjagz Timido

Chennai
    Thank you guys for your response.

Finally I bought my Punto.. It's amazing :)

Surely I gave a wrong input on fascia. That the Active version is black but Dynamic/Emotion has silver finish.
    On HU, the sales executive said its a Blaupunkt system, but I'm not sure :(

@nkapoor777, I've replied you on the PM.

@Ravi, I thought I could give it a try, when comes to swap my HU alone! I thought some body would have surely tried it.

@Anup, Yes, adding a Aux port is also a quick alternative for my usage. Do you know anyone tried themselves. I think I see in YouTube but they did it abroad. If you find any link of this forum or any please give me the link.

@Paddleshifter, That's my best idea to fulfill my everything for my requirements. Player with BT, AUX & USB ;)

@pv_krish, I don't want to touch on speakers as of now. The Above average quality is ok to me as of now. The only thing is Burning CDs and maintaining is very bad way for me. So at least getting a Aux would be fine.

So buddies please help me out in this.
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No. Yours is a Delphi HU like all of us'.

Go ahead with changing the HU but trust me you wont like is as changing the speakers is absolute necessity with new HU. OEM speakers wont do justice at all. I suggest that you live with the stock set up for a few weeks and then make a better informed decision. :)
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. markrting_rohitm

markrting_rohitm Amatore

PHAGWARA
    Its better if you use fm modulator.i m using this without any issues
  10. naruf1

naruf1 Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Which FM modulator? I am planning to buy one as well.