1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

help me decide on one good compos.

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Stallion, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Stallion

Stallion

Pune
    hello TFians...
    I am on a look out for components to install in the front door my budget is about 5 to 6 k please recommend a good brand and a place in pune to get it installed.

i have gone through most of the threads here the more i read the more confused i am getting.:confused:
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Stallion,

The brands that I will recommend are: Bull, Rockford Fosgate, MTX (Roadthunder series), Blaupunkts (Velocity series). All these will sound OK with just the HU, and will also accept an amp in case you plan to fit one later.

Just do a market survey in your area to find out which brands are available, and get the install done. Finding a knowledgeable installer is important. Also do damping for your front doors.

Regard
    Johnny
  3. Stallion

Stallion

Pune
    Thanks Johnny...how can we make out if the installer is knowledgeable or not.:confused:
  4. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @stallion,

You will have to ask around to find out if the installer is good. If you look in this section, you will find some names given by guys who have ICEd their rides. That would be a safe bet.

Regards
    Johnny
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    If u installing compos u need o install ampli or u will blow up your crossover in some months due to lack of power.
  6. Stallion

Stallion

Pune
    @ varin 11
    point noted...shall do that as soon as i am enriched with some vitamin M :)
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Varin, @Stallion,

I am not too sure that the crossover will blow in case you do have a "lack of power".

This issue had come up in an earlier thread, and I had posted a link that explains the issues involved. The link is http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

While adding an amp will definitely improve the sound quality, running comps with only the HU will not create any problems. My front compos are rated for 100 watts RMS each. They are being driven by the HU alone, and I have had no problems so far.

Regards
    Johnny
  8. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    "Since the displacement of the voice coil (and therefore the airflow around the voice coil) is no longer proportional to the heat being generated(because of low power/current), the voice coil can overheat. This excess heat may cause the voice coil former to be physically distorted and/or melt the insulation off of the voice coil wire and/or cause the adhesives to fail (especially if the speaker is rated to handle no more than the power that the amp can produce cleanly). If your speakers are rated (honestly) to handle the maximum 'clean' power that your amplifier can produce, slight clipping isn't generally a problem. Severe clipping is more likely to cause a problem."

Thus in case of compos usually crossover blows out and the whole speaker set gets useless.I have seen two of my friends crossover blown and the blame was put on this by the company although they got he speakers done in warranty.
  9. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Varin11,
    Your quote is a little bit out of context. That refers to what happens when an amp is 'clipping'.

I will try and explain. Most amps/HUs will start clipping when they are played above the rated value (approximately 75 to 80% of max volume). If you play the HU/amp at these settings for long periods, you are likely to damage the HU/amp and maybe the speakers. So, the first thing is that in case you like to play music loud, then fit an amp that will give you the required volume without exceeding the rated value.

Secondly, a speaker is an electro-mechanical device that converts the electrical signal supplied by the HU/amp into sound energy. The quantum of sound energy or volume put out by the speakers is dependent upon the amount of electrical energy supplied by the HU/amp. The device that controls the amount of electrical energy supplied by the HU/amp is the volume control. So, if you are playing music at low volumes, then you are supplying low power to the speakers. If 'lack of power' will damage the speakers, then playing them at low volumes should cause damage, irrespective of the power of the HU/amp. Fortunately, this is not the case, and the article referred to by me says so in the very begining

"If driving a speaker with low power would cause them to fail, speakers would fail every time you lower the volume on the head unit."

We all know that this does not happen.

In case the speaker rating is much higher than that of the HU, all that will happen is that the sound output may be 'sub-optimal'. Nothing will happen to the speakers as long as you do not allow the HU to 'clip'. Adding an amp will result in two benefits. Firstly, you will obtain higher volume without stressing the system (clipping). Secondly, the circuitry used in a dedicated amp will be superior to that of a HU. This means that you will get an improvement in the quality of sound. The degree of improvement will depend upon the quality and cost of the amp.

Lastly, I read in another post that you are planning to fit Kicker co-axials on all four doors. My suggestion is that in case budget is not an issue, fit compos in the front. There is a significant difference in the sound output from compos as compared to c-axials. As long as you do not let the HU 'clip' you will not have any problems with your speakers.

Regards
    Johnny
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Well explained Johnny.Appreciate that.Normally what happens(my observation) that If u putting good compos u tend to expect a loud and better sound and that will happen usually at higher volume.So people normally strain the HU (of course without ampli installation) by playing at higher volume.So the damage can be done(Speakers also "THE low cooling" funda.
    I have no budget constrain for few thousand more as installing one set of compos will just add Rs1500 more if I install kicker compos in the front.but frankly speaking during demo i didn't find major difference in the sound in both setups unless and until I increase the volume quite high which is only on few occasions.More ever frequent loud playing will also require damping or plumbing problems in the doors after some time will erupt(correct if am wrong).