1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help me decide between Punto Evo, Polo and Jazz

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Shrijit, Jan 1, 2015.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Watchout for the brakes (feel, progression and stopping distance, under hard/emergency braking), ground clearance and ride (+handling) quality, road-holding/high speed stability. Finally, the steering feel and weight in traffic v/s on the more open roads. Be sure to take a long drive, in varied road and traffic conditions, if you can.

ciao!

PS: and yes, price too (esp of spares and warranties), ask for all the gory details on this
    Shrijit likes this.
  2. Shrijit

Shrijit Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    So, I did TD of Punto Emotion, Avventura Emotion (both diesels) and Polo 1.5TDI. My friend who has only driven Petrol cars was unable to move it properly from standstill. However I think I drove the vehicle better than him :). The KHT showroom (Whitefield) did not have a 90HP for TD. They said the TD Car has met with an accident. I am assuming that the driving experience may be almost same in a 90HP. Later, I also did a TD of Polo 1.5 TDI.
    1) Looks - Avventura followed by Polo
    2) Steering feedback - Avventura followed by Punto Emotion.
    3) Interiors - Polo

Rear seating is a pain in polo with that big hump in between. The engine felt punchier compared to Emotion, but few sudden jerks were felt on changing gears. I thought it may be because I am still new to driving (did not felt any in Avvy and Punto), but then I saw many reference of the same in Polo team-bhp threads. But I loved the interior finishing in Polo. I loved the steering feedback from Avvy but the sales guy told me that though Polo has electric steering, at high speeds, based on some speed sensing technology, the steering would be less sensitive.

The most interesting part was the pricing. Polo comfortline 2014 which is almost fully loaded (minus alloys, music controler on steering, reverse sensors and few cosmetic stuffs) was available at 8.2L. But they had only one piece in Night Blue color which I didn't like. All Punto (Emotion, 90HP) 2014 sold out. 12 Red Avvys 2014 were available, but it will be sold at 2015 prices (Didn't understand why). Pricing of 2015 models yet to be released. But he said that they got an email saying that the price hikes will be upto 30,000. Assuming it is for Linea top end. Avventura top end will cost 10.5L, 90HP will cost 9.3L and Comfortline Polo 2015 9.05L. VW has increased comfortline TDI pricing by 53k !! I asked the Sales guy to check and let me know why Avvy 2014 is being sold at 2015 prices and the amount of discounts he can give me. My Budget is 9L, but was okay to stretch it to 10L for Avvy. Stretching further, i am not sure ! So, as of now still confused between 90HP, Avvy and Polo Comfortline. Will wait for official Fiat Prices and then decide.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Shrijit

Three points to consider: (a) whatever the dealer may be saying now, you can if you are firm yet polite squeeze good discounts from the Fiat dealer, better by a margin that the VW comfortline, which will be missing a lot of good equipment relative to the 90hp, and even the Avventura Dynamic (esp. the 16 inch 205 section tyres and alloys)

(b) if you are likely to do a fair bit of highway driving, be SURE to go with the Punto or the Avventura, and not the Polo: they are emphaticaly better (Indian) highways cars than the Polo

(c) take into account warranty range and actual, practical ease of the Fiats v/s the VW, and the spare parts and ASS labour charges, too. Here too, Fiat is well ahead.

Also: i wonder if it's useful to think of the Polo/Vento interiors as better in final, utter fit, finish, and total/average plastic quality (though I feel the new 2014 Fiats' interiors are close enough) but as decidedly unimaginative and dull, even, in design. I do feel the hooded dials and instrument binnacle + upper dashboard beige plastic/fabric wrap and the overall curvey design theme from one end of the dashboard to the other has both elegance, resonance and a distinctiveness that the somewhat generic dash layout of the Polo lacks.

cheers, let us know how this plays out! And why/how.
    Shrijit likes this.
  4. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Shirjit,

I have been in the similar situation between Polo and Punto, and finally end up with Punto 90hp.

For a while even Avventura came into my mind when I started considering the 90hp. The one thing that made more sense for me to go for 90hp is because I wanted a City car as well as Highway. For city the smaller profile made more sense for me. Also, I was a bit worried about the 2 stage rear boot opening system for city operation i.e.: The 2 stage rear boot might be a bit of inconvinence in tight spot and also might be not so convenient to the Car Inspection at every Mall and Parking, where they open up the boot to check if there is any Bomb :eek:. Well, other than these two things there are all the reasons in the world to buy an Avventura.

As for the 90hp (Punto and Avventura), I feel the idle torque is good enough to get through the B2B traffic easily.

Yesterday I saw the new Alto tyres and I was like "Damn the Bike, better say Scooter has much fatter Tyre than this Car". How could they do that.
    MakeTheMove, Shrijit and prabhjot like this.
  5. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Shrijit, as you have waited for so long and its plain obvious that you will be choosing either a 90bhp, Punto or Aavy, why don't you just wait till March,as to my knowledge Aavy might be sold with a bit of discount in March to offset the excise duty increase and probably a hefty discount on Punto evo sports might also take place. My personal gut feeling is that the industry might face a huge negative sales this month, the decision is yours to make.....
    Shrijit likes this.
  6. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The 2014 Avventura at 2015 prices is due to the excise duty concession being revoked and the excise duty is applicable at the time when the vehicle leaves the factory gate.
    Shrijit and prabhjot like this.
  7. GaganTakker

GaganTakker Amatore

New Delhi
    Petrol - Jazzz
    Diesel - Punto 90hp