1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help me decide between Punto Evo, Polo and Jazz

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Shrijit, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Shrijit

Shrijit Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hello all,

I am Shrijit from Bangalore. This is my first post/thread here so kindly be gentle on me :). I am planning to buy a car soon. I have not driven any cars previously and I am just learning driving. The driving classes will be over next week. I am yet to go to showrooms and whatever info I have is based on the extensive research I have done on internet (mainly here and team-bhp).

My first confusion is whether to go for a Petrol or Diesel Car. I am assuming I would be driving approx 1200 kms per month. A trip to my native, Kerala (500x2 kms) + few random drives on weekends. I love biking and have been to many 200-300 kms drive on highways with my Yamaha Fazer. If you are going to ask me till when I am planning to hold the Car, I have no answer right now :). After reading various threads here, I am assuming after buying a Fiat, I will hit the highways more. So, coming back to the question, petrol or diesel ? I am okay to get the 90HP Punto and MJD Emotion but I have a doubt if it will be too much to handle for me considering it will be my first Car. I was reading about things like Turbo lag which sometimes make me think if I should start with a Petrol Car.

The second confusion is regarding the other models. My "Honda" friends tell me that Jazz would be worth the wait. I think I would be okay to wait till March, but then there is no official word from Honda on the possible launch date of Jazz. Jazz definitely looks a good competitor in this segment. Please note I am looking at Jazz Petrol only as the Diesel engine from Honda seems to be having really bad NVH levels.
    Polo diesel models I think have a wait period of 2 months and there are too many horror stories about the ASS to even consider it.
    Read recently that Fiat may discontinue Punto and introduce 500+. And is there any possibility for Fiat to launch the Tjet in Punto anytime soon ? :)

The 90HP costs 8.99 lacs and may cost upto 9.4 lacs given the excise sops have been stopped from Jan 1. Are Fiat Petrols good on Highways ? What do you guys suggest ?

PS - A big thanks to this wonderful forum. Even though I haven't driven a Fiat, I almost feel like a Fiat owner already :)

Thanks in advance
    Shrijit
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    bharath and prabhjot like this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi there. Glad you're here.

Stop reading...and do test drives, bearing the pointers and 'take-aways' from your reading/research. Be sure to test the 1.2 and/or the 1.4 Fire petrols too: they're pretty good too, Fiat may have invented the modern common-rail diesel engine but their petrols are good too. You may not even need to go up to the 90hp mjd, even for highway driving. TD them.

The t-jet will be coming on the Punto, yes, soon enough, but most likely as an ABARTH, i.e., a very HOT hatch. Not sure of dates yet.

The Avventura t-jet will come soon enough? too, apparently. You could consider and TD the Avventura 90 hp too, actually, maybe the Dynamic will fit your budget.

Don't get me started about Honda-s! ;) Let me ONLY say that: Honda-s make for very poor highway cars in India, their sedan is not called the 'City' for nothing!:cool:

cheers
  3. Shrijit

Shrijit Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks prabhjot for the prompt reply.

Like I mentioned, I am only 4 days into the driving classes. I will start the TD, most probably after I complete the driving classes next week. I shall definitely TD the Petrols too. If i had to decide between 1.4 and 1.3 MJD Emotion, what would you suggest ? Given that I will prefer bikes for city rides and Car only for highway and weekend rides, Diesel makes more sense ? (in Bangalore, 1.4 costs 8.4L while 1.3 Emotion costs 8.5L)

The new KHT Fiat showroom is walkable from my home and the Service center too is very nearby, so its quite tempting :) Waiting for my driving classes to get over to start the TDs.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Cannot say, you'll have to decide after TD-s. Don't even rule out the 1.2 Fire, it's got good lowend response, is really well-priced as well. The 1.4 fire is a 90hp engine with a really strong midrange, a really good highway car. The mjd you're citing is 75 hp only, of course there's the torque, but for a newbie driver to start off on a diesel for his new car...fine with a bit of getting used-to. You'll have to decide for yourself. You may find the 1.2 Fire good enough, given your running. Also, checkout the Avventura dynamic 1.4 and mjd 90hp.

cheers
    Shrijit likes this.
  5. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Petrol or diesel? Price difference is minimal in Punto 1.4 & Punto 1.3 (75 hp). 1200 kms / month is like sitting on the fence. Diesel has better pulling capabilities while petrol offers a smoother & free revving engine, pick your priority. Don't worry about 'turbo lag' or other such things that you come across on the internet. Being your first car, it is just a matter of adapting to the one that you buy.

'Honda' boys & forums supporting Honda never mention like 1. Honda has a 6 month service interval or 2. Honda has least warranty policy of 4 yrs / 80k kms (including extended) or 2. There is shameless cost cutting (thin tires, thin seats, fixed seatbelt mounts, boot damping, engine hood damping, fender lining etc) even in their flagship sedan. If that is just introducing the cost cutting measures in the flagship sedan, do you really think the hatch will get superior quality or suffer more cost cutting measures than the sedan?

I have driven the Jazz that is seen in the Indian market & found cabin space to be the only saving grace. From purchase price to maintenance cost to performance (acceleration / braking / handling) to quality (inside out) to technology (HPS / usage of CAN Bus), it is noticeably inferior to what the Punto has on offer.

Make an informed choice.

Regards

Amit
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Shrijit

On a fiat forum, you will always get suggestions to buy a Fiat car only. But jokes apart, based on your running you should opt for the diesel car. If you are more inclined towards highway driving then opt for 90HP MJD. If not for everything else the 75HP variant would suffice. If you are hard on cash opt for the older Punto models which may be available at a substantial discount. Since you are still in the learning mode, better opt for the Emotion variant which comes with ABS and airbags or at least the Dynamic variant which comes with ABS.

Jazz was discontinued due to horrendous pricing and even if it makes a comeback it will be minus the quality as is seen with recent Honda cars such as Amaze, Mobilio etc. There is a thread on the forum which debates between Polo and Punto, you might want to read that before you make a choice.

http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/fia...-polo-tdi-comfortline-booked-evo-90-hp.13401/

http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/punto-evo-diesel-75-or-90-hp-booked-90hp.13218/
  7. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Going by the current quality offerings of Honda (read as Amaze and new city) I would stay away from the Jazz. The remaining two are the Punto Evo and Polo. Do test drive both the cars and then take a call. But do keep in mind, that the Polo is not as good as the Punto Evo dynamically and it is far more costlier to maintain than the Punto Evo.
  8. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    @Shrijit Welcome to the forum. For your expected running (which will eventually go north if you get FIAT :)), Diesel should be the choice, 75HP or 90HP is your decision based on TD. Don't worry too much about turbo lag, instead your focus should be get well verse with car and adapt yourself (driving style) to the character of the car. Honda will never be a recommendation looking the cost-cutting they do in their cars. Also if you are not comfortable with Diesel option, do try Punto Petrol (1.2 or 1.4). I have driven both and found 1.4 more interesting but nonetheless even 1.2 suits well for city as well as highway runs. Polo has typical German quality which I am personally very much fond of, precision and quality of interiors (be it faux leather seat cover stitches, panel gaps, dashboard material etc.) has always attracted me but when it boils down to ride and handling, Punto wins no doubt! HPS on Punto gives much much more confidence on road plus the high GC & Suspension setup keeps you relaxed on bad roads. Lastly maintenance cost of Polo is higher than Punto. Strongly recommend to try Punto (Diesel as well as Petrol) and see in which one you feel at home.
    Shrijit and prabhjot like this.
  9. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Shrijit welcome to the forum. ( myself just about 2 month old in the forum ;) ).
    As mentioned by @mangeshtendulkar if you are going for Diesel, you shouldn't worry about the turbo lag people happily scream around in the reviews. Fiat gave a feature to deal with the turbo lag and its the Gears :). With proper usage of gears you will hardly feel any turbo lag.
    As this is your first car, it really don't matter if its Diesel or Petrol as every learning curve will be a new one and you wouldn't be comparing with the counterpart.
    Also, it depends on the the ratio of city:highway and your monthly drive range that will justify Petrol or Diesel. I would recommend you to try both the Petrol and Diesel of all the normal and High Tunes.

Which ever makes u smile is meant to be yours :).
    Shrijit and mangeshtendulkar like this.
  10. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @Shrijit
    Go for diesel as you will find more reason to drive later on.
    On Kerala roads (when you visit) you need good mid range and top end, so go for 90HP
    Most important test drive all available options.
    Since you just learned driving, take help from an experienced driver for test drives to check the performance.

Rajeev