1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Help from fellow Team fiat members

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 Fire' started by Rohit Mitra, Apr 22, 2015.

1. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    Historically, Fiat technicians were a TASS bunch. TATA never had reputation for petrol engines. Their petrol engines were FIRE, that too 8V, on which they learnt their work. That too very few in number. Earlier Indicas had them. Manza came later! The Linea is a 1.368 DOHC 16V FIRE, more complex than the 1.172L 8V SOHC. IMHO, the mistri class has no solid understanding of petrol mills apart from the susuki or goonday engines. @asimpleson is trying to say just that: lack of understanding of the less popular 1.4 mill, and even less guineapigs for the workshops to learn.
  2. Rohit Mitra

Rohit Mitra Timido

Gurgaon
    Linea 1.4
    Well the problem was kind of quick one I had to drive to my home town around 400 kms from GGN, reaching there in night next day when I started the car my wife noticed lot of black smoke from the exhaust which I felt was due to poor petrol or some other stuff, I drove the car for next 50-60 kms locally when the Display started giving "Low oil pressure- turn off engine" error I did turn off the engine & restarted 2-3 times a "check engine" error with the EOBD lit up followed in next couple of Kms, a quick check with the dipstick revealed black engine oil (this was done on a hot engine), we returned back & let the oil settle to check again the dip didn't show any reading. Took it to a known mechanic ( my home town does not have FASS) who checked the oil & raised the alarm the Petrol engine oil is more black then it should be, we decided to drain the oil & fill new oil (what was left in engine was hardly 500 ml & all black fluid) we topped the oil (Shell MDRO 5W-40 & brought the car back to GGN, the trip next day to the FASS (Torque & DRS) revealed the oil is again black & only around 1.5 L left on asking them what's wrong, was advised of the Cylinder head overhauling/replacement, the car didn't even gave trouble coming back those 400 kms with normal pick up & 15 kms/L mileage with AC running for 60% time. All the services prior; the most recent one been on 73K have been carried in FASS.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    True that..! Although even if there is a chink in the armor, like in manufacturing or maintenance practices, leaving an otherwise good engine specially susceptible in Indian circumstances, needs more investigating I say. I saw a trend and would have a word with one person in FASC who's analysis could reveal some more. Will try to dig more while discussing if indeed these engines are vulnerable with the slightest unseen factor. Idiosyncratic issues present with a series in specific period of manufacturing or inherent issues due to internal external unseen factors.

@Rohit Mitra, thats what happened, so what is the status now and what next do you plan..?

Black oil could not always mean bad engine condition. Most oils tend to get jet black within few hundred kms. Hard to make out the black levels with human eye perception.
  4. Rohit Mitra

Rohit Mitra Timido

Gurgaon
    Linea 1.4
    @ asimpleson the car is still with me not driving yet till I get a reason & solution to this issue, I am worried of the black oil as mine is petrol engine and the car is burning oil like anything 500 ml every 100 kms.. I am looking to get some advice from the team here before taking to drs for the cylinderhead replacment/ overhauling :(
  5. Evillife

Evillife Timido

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Hello Rohit, read about your problems and registered here to reply to it. What I understand is that the only problem you have is that your car is eating up engine oil like crazy but how do you know that? Do you get the message in your display of low oil pressure after the first time you got the message. If the pressure is low then it will definitely show the message again like it did the first time. Well if the engine light is on it is definitely troublesome but it might be something completely different. As pointed out above black oil is not always bad engine condition. I had a similar message of low oil pressure. I still drove it for couple of weeks and when I took it for a top up of oil they told me it needed 5 liter as it was empty(understandable as it was a long time since the change). I just bought 3 lts and it got filled in 2.5 and the guy had to put .5L back in the trunk. What I feel is that there is a lot of discussion and the average age of the car in India is considered much lower. It is very normal in US/Europe to have 20 year old cars driving very well. Dont worry so much, unless & until there would be a manufacturing defect with the engine(you would have found out about it long back) I do not think any Fiat Car engine will give up after 4-5 years. It is not that complex so my advice is to keep it simple. Me and my uncle use the same theory for our cars and believe me he has owned everything from Honda s to Mercs.